• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    A new to me problem has developed with me or my Dillon Square Deal B.
    Loading mixed brass (at least once fired) with 124 gr JHP Montana Gold works just fine.
    However, I recently loaded a batch of 147 Gr JHP Golden Sabre with brand new Starline Brass.
    All goes well on the downstroke, but it seems the powder funel is hanging up on the upstroke.
    So it seems the belled brass is catching on the powder funel.
    I adjusted the powder die all the way down and backed it off until the bullet barely slides into the brass, but enough to be stable.
    The current set up will bell the once fired brass without catching on the upstroke,
    but the new Starline brass hangs everytime.

I recently purchased a single stage Lee press with the undersize 40/10mm die for a different issue.
    (The undersize 40/10mm die did not correct the issue I was having with my 10mm reloads, but the Lee Bulge Buster Kit did)

I wonder, if the undersize 9mm die will help with the new Starline Brass?

Anyone have any similar issues to share on this subject?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Yep Starline brass tends to do that. I know several people including myself that has happened to.
    It only does it on new brass and will be fine on the second loading.
    To verify it wasn't my equipment I chamfered the inside of a handful of cases and problem went away. Seems there is a very small burr on the inside of the case. Starline brass is good stuff just wants to stick on the belling plunger when new.
    I would just load it and not worry about it although it is annoying when it snaps on the up stroke.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Short answer is, that happens when brass is "too clean"... and obviously new brass is pretty clean. I tried a few things to rectify this on my 650. Like an idiot, I tried them all at once, so I'm not sure which worked or if it's a combination.

1. I polished the powder funnel
    2. I VERY lightly lube the powder funnel with a tiny bit of Weapon Shield grease (just the tip :naughty:)
    3. I dump all my brass in a large paper grocery bag (yes, they still exist), spray in some case lube, and shake the bag before dumping hem in he case feeder.

Smooth as butter.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Ditto on just being new brass. I recently loaded some new Remington 38 super brass, and still had some sticking, even though long ago I had done some polishing of the funnel. Keep it clean... Every couple dozen rounds I reach up and wipe off the funnel... Ironically something I only have to do with clean brass, not dirty.

Dont adjust your funnel depth for this, you want the same amount of bell regardless. I like 0.015-0.018" of bell regardless of caliber.

-rvb

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I've never used case lube on handgun(straight wall) brass in 30+ years and hundreds of thousands of rounds loaded. Carbide dies don't require it. I know some who use lube on handgun cases and it doesn't hurt anything but adds a step and a bit of a mess.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've never used case lube on handgun(straight wall) brass in 30+ years and hundreds of thousands of rounds loaded. Carbide dies don't require it. I know some who use lube on handgun cases and it doesn't hurt anything but had a step and a bit of a mess.

I use it specifically for the issue the OP is having... the funnel is not carbide.

Turns out, whether it's needed or not, it smooths up the other stations as well.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I use it specifically for the issue the OP is having... the funnel is not carbide.

Turns out, whether it's needed or not, it smooths up the other stations as well.

I load 1,000 at a time so any relief I can get is appreciated. The Hornady or Dillon spray lube does a great job of letting all the stations run freely on the XL650.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I always use One Shot lube on pistol, makes it a lot easier/smoother, and, imo, that helps make consistency in working the press. No mess with One Shot. However, I've never lubed the inside of the cases or the funnel. Just polished and occasionally wipe clean. That probably took care of 75% of the sticking on new brass, w/o the concern [valid, or not] of having lube on the inside of the case...

-rvb

Top Bottom