• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    but they make a sabot for the 30-06 which is much fast so r u saying to keep the velocity to the lowest then

Im saying get a bullet that is designed for 06 velocities, but if your dead set on the bullet you linked i see no danger.

Those sabot bullets your talking about are a fad that passes through every 10 years or so until everyone remembers velocity is nice, but accuracy is final.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    From Manufacturers web site-
    Caliber:
    0.308Bullet Weight (gr): 168
    Length (in): 1.565
    BC (G1): 0.630
    Minimum Twist Rate: 1:8
    Velocity (fps): 750-1,200

For performance and safety purposes we only recommend the use of OEM manufactured 300 AAC Blackout/Whisper brass.
    [h=3]Not recommended for use in factory Remington 700 rifles chambered in 300 Blk.[/h]Not recommended for use in factory Remington 700 rifles chambered in 300 Blackout due to a number of factory guns sold with barrels marked as 1:7 twist that are actually 1:10 twist.

After looking at this, I wouldn't load them in 30-06 myself.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Dooshie,
    What happens is that a bullet construction is designed for a maximum spin (RPM) when going down range. If that spin rate is greatly exceeded, the bullet can literally fly apart on the way to the target. it can also become unbalanced and cause it to veer off course making the accuracy suffer.
    Bullet construction is often a compromise, especially if they are tailored for something other than target shooting. If the bullet is made with a tough jacket so it can be pushed very fast, and therefore high spin rate, at low velocity it won't necessarily expand when it hits an animal and suffer poor killing ability. If it needs to expand with lower velocity, such as with the 300 blackout, then if pushed to magnum velocities, it can suffer from the RPM issues. Likewise, if a magnum bullet is loaded at low speeds, it can have insufficient spin to have stable flight.
    Target shooters, such as NRA High Power, look at everything as part of an overall system and choose a barrel with a specific twist depending on what bullet they are shooting, optimizing the spin rate to have the bullet stabilize in flight and high enough speed to minimize wind deflection.

Hope this helps with the WHY.

--Rick

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    Dooshie,
    What happens is that a bullet construction is designed for a maximum spin (RPM) when going down range. If that spin rate is greatly exceeded, the bullet can literally fly apart on the way to the target. it can also become unbalanced and cause it to veer off course making the accuracy suffer.
    Bullet construction is often a compromise, especially if they are tailored for something other than target shooting. If the bullet is made with a tough jacket so it can be pushed very fast, and therefore high spin rate, at low velocity it won't necessarily expand when it hits an animal and suffer poor killing ability. If it needs to expand with lower velocity, such as with the 300 blackout, then if pushed to magnum velocities, it can suffer from the RPM issues. Likewise, if a magnum bullet is loaded at low speeds, it can have insufficient spin to have stable flight.
    Target shooters, such as NRA High Power, look at everything as part of an overall system and choose a barrel with a specific twist depending on what bullet they are shooting, optimizing the spin rate to have the bullet stabilize in flight and high enough speed to minimize wind deflection.

Hope this helps with the WHY.

--Rick

yes it does cool and thanks.... I had me a little confused with it saying 308 for blk out..... I just used that bullit as a reffrence to my question... thanks all who answered...

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    To add to the previous post. Remember a guy ordering 1:12 in 222 rem. The normal twist is 1:14 to 1:13. He experimented with powders and was doing stuff nobody heard of before.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    It's not a safety issue, it's an issue of having the bullet disintegrate in air from too rapid spin (maybe) and the jacket might be very thin.
    Isn't the whole point of the round to be sub-sonic, so that bullet might not handle 2600 fps and higher very well...

Top Bottom