Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Plinker
    Because it cost less. Many equate lesser price to be of lesser quality. All of the Lee products I've purchased have been great for the purpose they we're purchased for. Luckily reloading is a niche market, and if your not producing a quality product you are done...

The only presses I've ever used were (first) an RCBS Rock Chucker and (now) Rock Chucker Supreme, but my 10mm dies are Lee, and all four handgun calibers I load for have their Factory Crimp Die because it's just that good.
    I also used their now discontinued Auto Prime II (press-mounted) to load all of my ammo until I upgraded to the bench-mounted RCBS APS that I now use, an improvement, although the Lee priming system worked pretty well, with some quirks.
    Their FCD is definitely a cut above just about any crimper out there, and although I haven't ever used it, I've been told that their collet dies for bottleneck cartridges produce excellent quality rifle ammo because of their design.
    First time I drank was prom night....Zima... took me years to regain my man card. -Kutnupe

I have lots of Lee Dies and a couple Challenger Breach lock hand presses. I also have RCBS and Hornady dies. All work well for me. If I ever feel the need to go with a progressive I'd probably go Dillon, but I load more high power rifle and shoot for match grade. I don't think I am going to get the accuracy I can one at a time with my hand press. I weigh cases and sort by weight, times reloaded. So I for the moment the Lee is just fine.

Maybe when I start doing a bunch of pistol I will look at the Dillon.

I think Lee does get all the credit they deserve. Ask anyone in reloading and they will most likely say lee is a solid low cost product that gets the job done. And thats all they are, so what other praise are you looking for?
    I've dealt with the CS and it's ok at best when compared to other reloading companies.
    Their dies are just OK when compared to others companies
    Their presses.........................

See the trend here, they are an OK company and their pricing reflects it. It's ok to be ok but don't expect to be treated like the MVP when your just a utility player.
    Follow me on Instagram @gunrunner219

Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by wingrider1800 View Post
    I also have equipment from several manufactures and I agree that the lock ring sucks on the dies but that is no deal breaker for me. I've been reloading for almost 40 years and I don't have a problem with Lee products, especially for the difference in price.

Hornady has the best lock rings, using a pinch bolt design that locks solid and does not stress the threads. The RCBS where the set screw damages the threads is a terrible design. The "O" ring friction nuts on LEE dies are ok if you purpose to twist the ring and die out at the same time. It is not like you have to torque them like head bolts on a diesel truck.

You can buy the Hornady lock rings seperately. I use them on most of my dies.
    Last edited by Leo; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:53.

Grandmaster
    Like Sloughfoot says, there is nothing wrong with the Lee dies, and I have proven it both in a tool and die shop cold gauging room and in competition.

I gave away a new LEE LoadMaster press, (to a brother inlaw I don't like) so I am not saying everything they make is my favorite. Don't much care for their beam balance scale either. My primary single stage press is a Redding Boss, but the little Lee Challenger stays handy for loading small qualities of pistol caliber rounds from time to time.

Plinker
    I use a lee turret and lee dies for 10 calibers and a lee load all for 16ga shotgun shells, no complaints

I run a classic turret in a ton of calibers and a pro1k for 9 and 40.

Other than the priming system on the pro1k, everything been 100 percent reliable and accurate. Well ok....the Lee scale is absolutely crappy to use but I think we all know that.

I now prime off the press for the pro1k. Hole 1 is powder drop, hole 2 is a hornaday bullet feeder die, and hole 3 seats and crimps. 500 rounds an hour is possible.

Marksman
    It's human nature. Some people buy tools adequate to the job and are happy. Some spend much more for tools that are overbuilt and or have additional features and are happy. Both are correct but some of both feel their choice should be everyone's choice. Still others feel the need to justify their choices.

Personally I have a Lee single stage press and a hand press along with two Hornady LNL progressive presses. They all get the job done for me. I use dies from Dillon, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, Redding, and RCBS. Most of them are either Lee or Hornady because I find these two the easiest to use/adjust and usually see no reason to pay more when they get the job done.

Buy what works for you, upgrade as necessary and don't worry about what other people think.

Most of Lee's stuff is ok quality for the money. Their dies certainly. Their single stage and turret presses as well. Their progressive presses not so much. Some of their accessories are great, some not so much. Their customer services is random. Sometimes they take care of you, sometimes it's "you're on your own sucker!"

I run two of their turrets and two of their .50bmg presses and dies along with an RCBS Rockchucker. Probably 90% of my reloading gear is Lee and has been for many many years with tens of thousands of rounds loaded on them. Every now and then I upgrade something as I see fit, but for the most part it works well enough, and for a beginner reloader who doesn't want to make a huge investment initially it can't be beat as even if they decide they love reloading and want to go all out money-wise, they can always use their Lee stuff.

IWTFM Eternal vigilance is the price of chickens. JFC advocate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast