• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DriverAndrew

Marksman
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jul 10, 2015
    Columbus
    I'm looking to pay for a reloader in Columbus willing to do about 250 rds of .260 Rem. I have the components, just don't have the tools.

Hope this isn't an improper post for this forum.

Thanks
    Andrew

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    By components, I'm sure you mean brass, bullets, primers, and powder, but do you also include a set of dies and a shell holder?
    Also, if you find someone willing to do the job, you'll want to be more specific than just requesting 250 rounds, namely what you're looking for regarding muzzle velocity so that an appropriate powder charge can be selected, overall cartridge length (not all rifles have the same distance for the bullet to jump to the rifling), and other details.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

The wording of that is pretty vague, and it's doubtful that basically paying someone for expending his time, effort, and using his own equipment to make up some ammo for another guy won't be a big deal.
    Naturally, the ATF would likely get interested if someone did this routinely and on more of a mass production scale, especially with multiple customers, as it were.
    It's a fine line, but a paltry 250 rounds just doesn't sound like an ammo manufacturing facility.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Ammo - Abbreviation for ammunition; metallic cartridges fired from a gun.
    Manufacturing - Fabricating or assembling components into a finished good to sell.
    Facility - A location where a product is made.

@ the OP - I'll be glad to help YOU put together the ammunition, on my reloading equipment, no cost whatsoever.

Do you know the exact load you're wanting, or do you need to perform a load workup? If so, we can do that on the range behind my house.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I don't believe you will find a much better offer than the one listed above ^^^ Personally I could never trust another person to reload for me. With a little hands on training and $100 you could be set up and reloading on your own in the near future.

DriverAndrew

Marksman
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jul 10, 2015
    Columbus
    Thanks everyone for the input, especially regarding ATF rules.. I'm not interested in running afoul of them.

Thanks Broom_jm I would like to discuss the possibilty of doing that work at your place, for a proper compensation of your time, Provided you are near to me in Columbus.

I'm interested in dropping a grain from recommended loads, due to my desire for barrel longevity over FPS. I have to nurse this gun for a year or two :)

For reference I just bought a Savage 116 with a 28" Criterion Match barrel, which came with about 200 Sierra HPBT bullets, 30ish Nosler Accubond, and an appropriate amount of once-fired Lapua brass that is supposedly ready for reloading. I was going to purchase powder and primers today, after a little research. I also got a RCBS 2 die set for .260, which is (as I understand) fine for neck resizing, which in turn is supposed to be all that's really necessary with my barrel and chamber (according to research.) However, I'm very very open to schooling on this, as I'm new to it.

Again, thanks everyone

Andrew

DriverAndrew

Marksman
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jul 10, 2015
    Columbus
    King31, I would be very interested to hear how you got into reloading for $100ish. Everything I've seen says it will cost way more than that, just for tooling.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    King31, I would be very interested to hear how you got into reloading for $100ish. Everything I've seen says it will cost way more than that, just for tooling.

Im not saying that's how much it cost me, but I believe with Lee equipment you can come close. The dies, press, trimmer, and scale can be had for right at $100 on Midway right now. With already having the components it wouldn't take much more than a few manuals and YouTube videos to start loading your own. You'll probably need a drill as well, but hopefully you already have that. The funny thing about reloading is that you can make it as expensive as you want it to be. In the end if you are making quality ammo, it really doesn't matter if you are using lee or Dillon.

JerryN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2017
    Columbus
    I got into reloading years back just to help with obsolete rounds like 7.35 carcano and 7.7 jap both seem to be over priced when you can find loaded ammunition. But it really helped with my 30/06 and 22/250. I think I had about a grand invested before I made my first live round though. Every thing being RCBS but you can always go a much cheaper route but still I think it was well worth the investment. Plus I really enjoy it.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...

I started reloading 45 ACP for under $150 (The bullets, powder and primers were on sale in a package deal. I picked up my own cases at the range.)

11wc1sy.jpg

Last edited:

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Take Broom_jm up on his offer. You reload your own with supervision, learn a few things, and avoid the ATF. Of course you also assume the liability in the event of a catastrophic failure (which is unlikely) instead of your friendly helper carrying that load.

DriverAndrew

Marksman
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jul 10, 2015
    Columbus
    Yes, I've Pm'd him and will follow up as I get an opportunity. And thanks for the LEE tips everyone, I'm already looking into a small setup such as those of you have mentioned

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You won't regret getting into reloading, especially with an experienced reloader like Broom to guide you through the basics, which will give you a major advantage over how many of us started, myself included.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    As with just about anything, you can spend a little or you can spend a lot. Personally, I think the Lee Classic Turret is ideal for loading a lot of pistol ammo, with the occasional short-action rifle. If you're going to be reloading precision rifle ammo, which is what the OP seems to be interested in, there's really nothing else for it but to buy a good O-frame press, like the RCBS RockChucker Supreme. While you can technically get into reloading for $100 or $150, I would personally set a budget of about $400 for the bare necessities of real, bench-mounted equipment.

Also, the old axiom about reloading is that you never save a dime...you just shoot better ammo, and more of it. ;)

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    The wording of that is pretty vague, and it's doubtful that basically paying someone for expending his time, effort, and using his own equipment to make up some ammo for another guy won't be a big deal.
    Naturally, the ATF would likely get interested if someone did this routinely and on more of a mass production scale, especially with multiple customers, as it were.
    It's a fine line, but a paltry 250 rounds just doesn't sound like an ammo manufacturing facility.

Oh it's highly unlikely that the ATF would ever notice, but I'd hate to be the guy they picked to make an example of.
    Much better that the OP take up Broom_JM on his very kind offer
    Everybody is coloring inside the lines....and I suspect he'll have a lot more fun than if he just bought the ammo.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    " it really doesn't matter if you are using lee or Dillon. "

Im not saying that's how much it cost me, but I believe with Lee equipment you can come close. The dies, press, trimmer, and scale can be had for right at $100 on Midway right now. With already having the components it wouldn't take much more than a few manuals and YouTube videos to start loading your own. You'll probably need a drill as well, but hopefully you already have that. The funny thing about reloading is that you can make it as expensive as you want it to be. In the end if you are making quality ammo, it really doesn't matter if you are using lee or Dillon.

Thanks King31==Now I have had my good laugh for the day....

YES it DOES matter if you are using "lee or Dillon"...Now Flame on..HA HA..Bill.

Top Bottom