• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Appreciate all info on the topic of solid bullet availability. For instance, are weight and actual bullet diameter fixed criteria for poking on top of the charge? I'm not intersted in expansion, etc., but just in punchig big holes in paper. In the 300~350 gr. ranges. I am seeking an el cheapo slug for experiments. "Ballistics" in particular, compared to various powders. I see lots of loading-charts, but I wonder if all "1/2-inch" projectiles (NOT BMG, of course) are a "go" for loading. All help gratefully accepted. Also looking for bullets to buy immediately; state weight, type, brand and price. Thanks. Pat.

Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The 50 AE uses .500" diameter projectiles.

.510 bullets for the various Linebaugh, 50-70 Government, 50 Alaskan, 500 A-Square, etc. are NOT what you want.

Barnes offers "solid" projectiles in .500 from 275-375g designed for the 500 S&W. The position of the cannelure may restrict their use in the 50 AE. I'd call and ask them before paying the price of admission.

Dave at Lehigh also offers a .500 solid, 363g again designed for the 500 S&W and 50 Beowulf. It has multiple pressure bands which may work a little easier in seating and crimping in the 50 AE.

I have little use for a solid projectile in the 50AE. The Sierra 350g HP works fine for everything I'd use it for.

If you're wanting to punch .510 holes in things, look at a 50-70 Government, 500 Alaskan or 500 BFG throated for BMG projectiles - they'll shoot everything from the 325g Barnes to the 750g Hornady AMAX with the proper barrel twist.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Just to make holes.

I have been down-sizing my caliber inventory, and am settled in to (because of the amount of ammo I have in each round) .22, .22-250, .223, 7.62x39, .308, .45, and .50AE. Beyond my AK/SKs, 12-ga, and AR- platforms, usually not taken along on shopping trips, I've a good mix of wheelies and semis, but usually carry a G-30 and Taurus 4" .45ACP Tracker, and if I have a long jacket, the D.E. I have plenty of 'varmint' bullets, expanders, etc., but want to build a maximal long-range (5k~6K yd.) gun out of the 14" Eagle. Theory: "Wound one, eliminate 3~4; kill one, eliminate just one." SHTF mentality maybe, but it worked in 1967. I'm a bit rickety now, and slow for a "BoB" mentality, but from my "Fortress Dakota" I can see for a mile; "reach out and touch." I do appreciate your info on the Lehigh .500 solid, 363g with the multiple pressure bands, as my powder experiments can use the varied seating and crimping options for the AE; 363g may be a bit heavy, although the stability would help it go downrange better. I may stick to HP, as you suggestion of Sierra 350g HP. Price/availability still quite affordable. Complete data results will be posted at the end of the tests. Pat.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    D.E. .50AE suits me well.

Whole lot of gun. Rare but can still find supplies for it.

Hang on

"Hang On!" is appropriate, but once you've learned the knack, she's just a (LOUD) *****-cat. My first shot of .50 left a hammer-notch right between the eyes! I held her in both hands, and of course this directed the recoil through my elbows right back to my face. Better to stand just as if looking down the shoulder-arm-sights plane, and keep both feet planted; let the upper torso swivel at the waist. If you can pick up the gun, you can shoot it w one hand. two-handed grip is awkward for me. The most important alert is to WEAR DOUBLED EAR PROTECTION: Muffs and plugs, or a set of good electronic suppressors. I have been very lucky in finding almost new equipment in the 2 years I've been scrounging. So far: Uncle Mike shoulder rig, open-end takes any barrel length, Uncle Mike nr. 18 "Sidekick" belt rig, adj tensioners, 50AE, frame, with barrels in 6", 10", 8 magazines, complete set of 4 dies, 300 pcs brass, 1,000 Samson soft-nose cartridges; .44Mag 10", 14", (no bolt yet), large flat-rate box of brass (uncounted), 6 magazines, carbide .44mag dies, .357mag 14" barrel, carbide dies, 10 boxes Win silvertip, 3 boxes Talon. Large Pelikan case, med. Pelikan case. Total bills of sale equal $2,910. The most fun part: squeezing off a few rounds at the range, and seeing how still it becomes on the other sides of the benches! Pat

jimbojr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    SE MI
    Desart Eagle is not bad. Try mine an AMT Automag V. Hang on with both. Wish it had the extra weight naa.

Every1lovesA50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2013
    Chicago-land
    The 50 AE uses .500" diameter projectiles.

.510 bullets for the various Linebaugh, 50-70 Government, 50 Alaskan, 500 A-Square, etc. are NOT what you want.

Barnes offers "solid" projectiles in .500 from 275-375g designed for the 500 S&W. The position of the cannelure may restrict their use in the 50 AE. I'd call and ask them before paying the price of admission.

Dave at Lehigh also offers a .500 solid, 363g again designed for the 500 S&W and 50 Beowulf. It has multiple pressure bands which may work a little easier in seating and crimping in the 50 AE.

I have little use for a solid projectile in the 50AE. The Sierra 350g HP works fine for everything I'd use it for.

If you're wanting to punch .510 holes in things, look at a 50-70 Government, 500 Alaskan or 500 BFG throated for BMG projectiles - they'll shoot everything from the 325g Barnes to the 750g Hornady AMAX with the proper barrel twist.

I know this thread has been dead for a while but what kind of loads are you guys working up with the sierra 350s in the. 50AE? I saw one work up for this bullet on the reloadersnest but want to see if someone is using a load similar to confirm as that is the only load data I've seen for this projectile. Also there is a crimping grove that to me looks like it is took far towards the bottom of the bullet. It looks like there will be too much of the bullet sticking out of the case. I've heard when this happens that the bullet will be jammed further into the case when the slide slams shut on it. Which obviously would mess up specs. Anyone have experience with this? Any info would be appreciated.

Top Bottom