• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Is there a big difference between a 22 (LR or Mag) and a 25 auto? I know the centerfire ammo is more reliable. Small 22 LR autos are easy to come by but how effective could one be if that was all a person had? I do know that 22 mags are one heck of a rimfire round but a person is limited to a revolver. Was just reading an article about mouseguns and got to wondering if a person had to choose between the three what would be best? I know there are many guns that are better for SD but thought this would make an interesting thread.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Did all that 40 years ago, I wouldn't be interested in a 25acp if they were giving them away. I'd rather have a rock on a string.

Go with the 22LR. The other two are not discernably better in a little short barrel and cost is ridiculous. The 22LR at least you'll shoot it enough to learn all it's low points and pushing it against a person's neck and pulling the trigger it will be just as good or better than the other two.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Last edited:

SEIGUY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2008
    Ripley Co.
    i have a beretta 25 auto. i like it. but the ammo sucks to buy$$$ also had the same gun in 22 short. they are both reliable guns.

DaleB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Bedford, IN
    This funny anecdote may help you. I hate possum, and when I lived on a farm I shot them every chance I got. They're worse than rats, they got into all the feed for the legitimate animals. I shot one literally at my feet on TWO occasions after running them down in a field with a .25 auto. Emptied the mag, and did nothing more than knock the wind out of them!! The ammo is pricey and they don't have the penetration needed to do the job with those round nosed bullets. I once heard " a .25 may give you an edge in the fistfight afterwards" if you decide to use one in self-defense.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .22 Magnum (handgun)

Check this out if your interested in comparing .22LR to .22WMR to .25 ACP.

Handgun testes in the .22 WMR were done with a 2" Taurus revolver, and it loos like all the .22LR test were done with a 18.5" barrel rifle, so keep that in mind. .25 ACP done with a 2.4" Beretta.

ak keep the second

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i have both .22 and .25 pistols and prefer the .25 over the .22 purely because its a centerfire and is a hell of alot louder, after the first shot most would be much more scared of the sound in comparison to a .22, the only thing that sucks is the ammo $$$!

Top Bottom