Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

22 caliber vs 25 Auto

Is there a big difference between a 22 (LR or Mag) and a 25 auto? I know the centerfire ammo is more reliable. Small 22 LR autos are easy to come by but how effective could one be if that was all a person had? I do know that 22 mags are one heck of a rimfire round but a person is limited to a revolver. Was just reading an article about mouseguns and got to wondering if a person had to choose between the three what would be best? I know there are many guns that are better for SD but thought this would make an interesting thread.

Shooter
    Did all that 40 years ago, I wouldn't be interested in a 25acp if they were giving them away. I'd rather have a rock on a string.

Go with the 22LR. The other two are not discernably better in a little short barrel and cost is ridiculous. The 22LR at least you'll shoot it enough to learn all it's low points and pushing it against a person's neck and pulling the trigger it will be just as good or better than the other two.

.22 lr w/ hi speed H. P. would be my choice.....
    I shoot slow, and hit every time!!!!!

Plinker
    Quote Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
    I do know that 22 mags are one heck of a rimfire round but a person is limited to a revolver.
    I have no input on the .25 but i don't think your comment on .22 magnum is accurate, as Ruger makes a 10/22 in .22 magnum.
    Ruger's 10/22 Goes Magnum - Ruger 10/22 Magnum

I actually couldn't find it on the Ruger website.

Quote Originally Posted by acetylcholine View Post
    I have no input on the .25 but i don't think your comment on .22 magnum is accurate, as Ruger makes a 10/22 in .22 magnum.
    Ruger's 10/22 Goes Magnum - Ruger 10/22 Magnum

I actually couldn't find it on the Ruger website.
    He was referring to the lack of .22 mag auto loading pistols.. which is also incorrect after the announcement of the KelTec PMR-30.
    Last edited by rimfire_crazed; 01-23-2010 at 22:39.

I guess I should've stressed "Pocket Pistols".

Plinker
    i have a beretta 25 auto. i like it. but the ammo sucks to buy$$$ also had the same gun in 22 short. they are both reliable guns.
    My other auto is a .45!!!

if guns kill people... then pencils misspell words and spoons made rosie odonall fat

Grandmaster
    .22 WMR, 40 gr solids, DA Revolver would be my choice.

Product: Model 351C Revolver=

Product: Model 351PD Revolver - HIVIZ®=
    AMERICA - Clinging to our GUNS and RELIGION since 1776.

NRA Certified Instructor - Rifle, Pistol
    www.danvilleconservationclub.org
    www.jpfrog.org

This funny anecdote may help you. I hate possum, and when I lived on a farm I shot them every chance I got. They're worse than rats, they got into all the feed for the legitimate animals. I shot one literally at my feet on TWO occasions after running them down in a field with a .25 auto. Emptied the mag, and did nothing more than knock the wind out of them!! The ammo is pricey and they don't have the penetration needed to do the job with those round nosed bullets. I once heard " a .25 may give you an edge in the fistfight afterwards" if you decide to use one in self-defense.

Shooter
    i remember reading somewhere that .22lr is more powerful than a .25. Sounds kind of unbelievable to me. is this true?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast