Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22
    Plinker
    My first post as I'm new to the site and just about ready to make the investment into reloading. There is more out there than I knew of and hopefully this will make my final decision the smartest for the ammo's I'm going to be reloading.

Great thread! I want to reload to save money, and so I don't have to worry about empty shelves if Hilary gets elected. I have most of what I need to get started and have some experience reloading, but that was over 20 years ago. If I'm just getting started and only loading pistol ammo at first, how important is a case trimmer, deburring tool, primer pocket clean, and bullet puller?

Of those, you'll want the bullet puller.
    ďGo tell the Spartans, travelers passing by, that here, obedient to their laws we lie.Ē

"Before you say something about the barbecue sauce on somebody else's shirt, take a look at the barbecue sauce on your own shirt" Kid President

I would agree, the bullet puller cause you are always going to have a need to break down a completed round. Depending on how consistent you want your ammo and how much stress you put the cases through will determine the necessity of the other tools. I've fired dozens of loads through the same 1000 pieces of .38spl brass with out ever doing cases prep, I've also fired max loads out of .44 that stretch the cases enough that it was noticeable on a mic. But guess what, no cases prep there either and they still shot 5 shot groups all rounds touching at 25 yards off the rest. Is there a place for case prep,sure... It's called precision rifle shooting
    Follow me on Instagram @rolexrifleman

Most straight wall cases (not necked down) will show minimal stretching under normal wear. I've shot my 45's and 9mm's numerous times without resizing. When choosing your equipment you should ask yourself how much shooting/range time do you plan on. If it's not much then a single stage is adequate and cheaper but if you plan on doing a lot of shooting you might want to consider a progressive press. I have a Dillon for my pistol loads and would use it for .223 or 300 blackout if I shot them. For my hunting/target rifles I use an RCBS single stage press. It is slower but it fits my needs.

There are numerous manufacturers of reloading equipment. A lot of folks like Lee for the price but I don't. Their stuff just seems cheaply built to me. RCBS isn't called rock chucker for nothing. They are built strong. I am happy with my Dillon but I have never used a Hornady progressive loader to compare to.

I always tell myself that I'm saving money but then I go buy more gun stuff or more guns so the cycle keeps on going. I find reloading fun and relaxing which by itself makes it worth it to me.

Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Most straight wall cases (not necked down) will show minimal stretching under normal wear. I've shot my 45's and 9mm's numerous times without resizing. When choosing your equipment you should ask yourself how much shooting/range time do you plan on. If it's not much then a single stage is adequate and cheaper but if you plan on doing a lot of shooting you might want to consider a progressive press. I have a Dillon for my pistol loads and would use it for .223 or 300 blackout if I shot them. For my hunting/target rifles I use an RCBS single stage press. It is slower but it fits my needs.

There are numerous manufacturers of reloading equipment. A lot of folks like Lee for the price but I don't. Their stuff just seems cheaply built to me. RCBS isn't called rock chucker for nothing. They are built strong. I am happy with my Dillon but I have never used a Hornady progressive loader to compare to.

I always tell myself that I'm saving money but then I go buy more gun stuff or more guns so the cycle keeps on going. I find reloading fun and relaxing which by itself makes it worth it to me.

Good Luck!!
    I have a press my brother gave me several years ago to repay me for a Nazi Hi-power I returned to him. He never used the press. When I first looked at it I was a little concerned because the name was Pacific. Single stage. Once I started looking a little closer, I saw in small print, Made by Hornady. So I figured it would work for me.

Great post, thanks a lot. It clears up some questions I had. Im thinking about getting into reloading & your "How to" with links has made it easier for me, thanks again!

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22