Data for 9mm/115gr RN FMJ/Hodgdon Universal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I am new to reloading. I have just about gathered all I need. I ordered 1000 115 gr. 9mm RN DS from Berry Manufacturing. The only powder I could find local to avoid the Hazmat fee (!) was Hodgdon Universal. The reloading manual I have is Lyman 49th Edition. On page 340-342 is 9mm loading information. On the Hodgdon data from the website there is no listing for 115 gr. RN except lead (assuming LRN means lead round nose). Would it be safe to use LRN for FMJ RN? Does anyone have a book that will tell me what the proper load min and max load and overall length are for a Berry 115 gr RN FMJ with Hodgdon Unversal powder and CCI 500 small pistol primers? :dunno:
    http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I would use the load data on the Hodgdon data page for the 115gr Spr GDHP for Universal powder. Starting load 4.5grs. Bullet weight is the same only difference is Hollow point vs FMJ. For length use the lenght listed for 115gr FMJ and WSF powder 1.169. As always start with the minimum load and work your way up.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Last I knew, Barry's only makes plated bullets.
    If so, they are not FMJ and you should use data for lead bullets (often identified as LRN or LTC in load charts).

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    If so, they are not FMJ and you should use data for lead bullets (often identified as LRN or LTC in load charts).

Just checked Barry"s web sight, only lists plated bullets. This is correct, use data for lead bullets. Didn't mean to mislead you in my last post, I have never used Barry's bullets and was going by the FMJ you had specified. Thank you m_deaner for catching this.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Just checked Barry"s web sight, only lists plated bullets. This is correct, use data for lead bullets. Didn't mean to mislead you in my last post, I have never used Barry's bullets and was going by the FMJ you has specified.

Yeah, the OP's post confused me a little bit...
    "Does anyone have a book that will tell me what the proper load min and max load and overall length are for a Berry 115 gr RN FMJ with Hodgdon Unversal powder and CCI 500 small pistol primers?"

Anyway,Universal probably isn't the optimal powder for this light of a bullet, but I think you'll make it work. Hodgden lists a max load of 4.5 grains for a 115 LRN.

Last edited:

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I guess I was/am confused about the plated versus FMJ. I plan to shoot them through my Glock 26. Is there a problem with plated rounds through a Glock? I hope I won't be sitting on 1000 bullets I can't use in my Glock.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    They will work... but FMJ is probably a better choice.
    In my experience, FMJs can be had cheaper than plated from Montana Gold and Precision Delta if you buy in bulk.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville

-----BELOW CAME DIRECTLY FROM BERRY'S WEBSITE-----

"Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads. " Berry Mfg.

Don't worry... I thought the same thing about using lead data until someone pointed it out to me. So as far as the truth behind which data to use on plated bullets:dunno::dunno::dunno: Your guess is as good as mine:laugh:

92FS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Phoenix
    I do not have any experience specifically with the Berry's bullets but I have used Speer 9mm 115gr TMJ (total metal jacket) and Frontier 9mm 115gr CMJ-RN (copper metal jacket-round nose) which I believe are both very similiar to the Berry's bullets.

I exclusively use the Frontier now since I have been able to pick up a bag of 500 at each of the last 3 Indy1500 gun shows.

I also use Hodgdon Universal powder and when I started out I did four groups of test loads:
    4.5 gr 1.150 COL
    4.5 gr 1.160 COL
    4.7 gr 1.150 COL
    4.7 gr 1.160 COL
    All four loads fired fine with no problems. The tightest shot group was with the 4.7 gr 1.160 COL load so that is what I have used every since.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I guess I was/am confused about the plated versus FMJ. I plan to shoot them through my Glock 26. Is there a problem with plated rounds through a Glock? I hope I won't be sitting on 1000 bullets I can't use in my Glock.

Plated bullets will be fine thru your Glock. Some say not to shoot too much lead ( unplated ) thru them. I shoot much more plated ( Rainier and Berry's ) than I do jacketed. Now, if your gonna work up the load for velocity, then the jacketed would be better.

Top Bottom