• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I recently got a free partial container of Clean Shot fffg black powder substitute from a friend, along with a cheap muzzleloader rifle and some percussion caps.

Anyways, I thought about loading up some .38 specials and/or .357mags with the stuff, just for ****s and giggles...

Problem is, the majority of the powder is clumped up.

Provided I break the powder up, does anyone see this being a problem?

Also, I've read that one should just fill up the cartridge (38 at least) so that it's slightly compressed when the bullet is seated. Any thoughts on that? I just wanna be sure I'm not going to be producing dangerous pressures...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    very dangerious business me friend. since black powder is measured how much does it take to fill a 38 case? i know of no equation to convert load data from smokless to black powder.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    very dangerious business me friend. since black powder is measured how much does it take to fill a 38 case? i know of no equation to convert load data from smokless to black powder.
    Not so. The 38 special was originally a BP cartridge. Let me do some checking and get back to you but I think you just fill the sucker up and seat the bullet. Don't take my word for it until I get back to you though.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I found this at one of the BP forums. Check the sources yourself.

According to Chicoine's "Gunsmithing Guns of the old West" on page 23 it shows,

38 special 158 gr Baloon head case Solid head case speed
    21 gr FFg 19 gr FFg 850 fps

38 long colt 150 gr 18 gr FFg 16 gr FFg 760 fps

Lyman's black powder only lists 38 special

158 gr bullet

goex ffg 17 gr 561 fps

goex fffg 17.5 gr 642

pyrodex RS 17 gr 638

pyrodex P 18 gr 635

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Load it up so the Black powder is compressed under the bullet. There is no way to create an over pressure load with black powder.

After you have scratched the itch and enjoyed all the smoke, be sure to take off the side plate of the handgun and clean the residue out of there too with hot soapy water. That stuff goes everywhere.....

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Load it up so the Black powder is compressed under the bullet. There is no way to create an over pressure load with black powder.

After you have scratched the itch and enjoyed all the smoke, be sure to take off the side plate of the handgun and clean the residue out of there too with hot soapy water. That stuff goes everywhere.....
    Yup, if you are going to load it with BP you have to clean it like a BP gun!

Jason, when you go to shoot the .357 throw some baby wipes in a zip lock bag and take your cleaning rod with you. I cut them into quarters and use them for patches. That will get the gun pretty clean until you can get home and give it a bath.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Measure how far the bullet will seat into the case, then fill it with black powder sub to just over that line, an eighth of an inch is good. Seat & crimp and you're good to go.

Now as for that powder you have, if it is clumped, that could mean that moisture has gotten to it. I'd dispose of it and buy some new stuff.

Finally, make sure you clean your gun after shooting this stuff as it will attract moisture to your firearm and some BP subs are corrosive.

Top Bottom