• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So I'm thinking of what to do with my old Lee Turret (not Classic), and had an idea that if I could somehow mount it to the trailer hitch, it would be a nice solid place to do some load development at the range...

So I started looking... and found a trailer hitch vice mount at Harbor Freight, on sale now for $16.99!

This is almost going to be too easy...

I'll post pics when I get it done, I just wanted to pass it along since the sale is on right now. (On-line and in-store) Picked it up last night.

Hitch Mount Vise Plate

This would also work...

Hitch Extender with Step

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Great idea!

Of course, you could go all-out:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/TailGator-Tail-Hitch-Mounted-Tailgating-Table/dp/B0017TQ6RY"]Amazon.com: TailGator Tail Gate Hitch-Mounted Tailgating Table: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
    510CMm1K5AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Are you going to raise it up with a post, or mount it directly and sit on a stool? I've thought about doing the same thing before to try different loads at the range.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Are you going to raise it up with a post, or mount it directly and sit on a stool? I've thought about doing the same thing before to try different loads at the range.

Well, since the Jeep is lifted, I'm just going to sit on a stool. :)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    We'll see if it holds. I have my doubts. The "wood" is just a scrap melamine covered cabinet door.

If not I'll have to drill through the steel plate, and run the bolts all the way through. It'll hold fer sure then. The third hole will have to be tapped, I think, I don't see a way to get a nut on the back side.

In fact I may just do it as a preventive measure. It's plenty stiff with the steel plate behind the panel.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    What is it, particle board? You might be able to soak that in polyurethane and it'll harden right up.

I got a Hornady LNL AP coming in and nothing to mount it on. Should an inch thick board of plywood be ok for a table top, or should I double that up? Not sure if I'm gonna build a workbench or just bolt plywood to an old end table. Won't be a final setup, but I need something to start with.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What is it, particle board? You might be able to soak that in polyurethane and it'll harden right up.

I got a Hornady LNL AP coming in and nothing to mount it on. Should an inch thick board of plywood be ok for a table top, or should I double that up? Not sure if I'm gonna build a workbench or just bolt plywood to an old end table. Won't be a final setup, but I need something to start with.

Yes, particle board, soaking it won't work, it's already veneered in malamine.

When I started reloading, oh 16, 17 years ago, the old scap door you see here had a Lee Challenger press and was c-clamped to the kitchen table... then into the closet for storage. It would not be sturdy enough otherwise. The melamine makes it easy to keep clean.

2 layers of 1/2" plywood glued up would work, provided the span were not too long. A vertical member on the edge will add tremdouns stiffness (think I-beam). Bolting to an old end table probably would not be heavy enough.

I have a press mounted to a steel framed printer table right now. It's barely heavy enough. Keeps me somewhat "portable" though. I'd like to do a "loading cabinet". The wife would be a bit happier about it.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    this is making the gears turn in my head

This for sure has got me thinking because I have to drive 30 miles to test my loads and it makes it a pain to test something. I would really like to be able to build some loads there. Which I still had my battery operated scale now.

4TheResistance

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Galveston, 46932
    You could always mount your press on a 2x4 or 2x6 with counter sunk holes on bottom so its flush and C-clamp that to any flat surface. thats what I did with all my presses. So I don't have 20 holes drilled in a good table and its very portable.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    It would be more of a hassle to gather and transport all the components to the range. The press would be easy. :)

QFT.

I have a "Bucket Boss" tool "box" and a bucket seat lid; it'll do double duty as a stool and carrying all the junk I'll need at the range.

Also, I've ordered the 4-hole conversion kit for my turret press, so now I'll be able to remove the turret from my Classic Turret and drop it in.

You could always mount your press on a 2x4 or 2x6 with counter sunk holes on bottom so its flush and C-clamp that to any flat surface. thats what I did with all my presses. So I don't have 20 holes drilled in a good table and its very portable.

I have done this too.

Top Bottom