• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    David Workman, the Seattle Gun Rights Examiner is reporting on a newly arisen effort on the parts of some green groups to ban lead ammunition through the auspices of the EPA. Despite the fact that there is no evidence that lead ammo plays any part in raised health or environmental levels.

via Seattle Gun Right Examiner

On Tuesday, a coalition of environmental groups petitioned with the Environmental Protection Agency asking that lead-based sporting ammunition and fishing tackle be banned.
    What that could ultimately mean to Evergreen State gun owners, hunters and anglers is not only much higher ammunition prices, but a dramatic loss of revenue for the Department of Fish & Wildlife, because declining ammunition and tackle sales translates to a decline in federal excise tax revenues, which in turn will result in a decline in federal monies apportioned to this and other states through the Pittman-Robertson and Dingell-Johnson federal wildlife and fisheries restoration programs. That money is administered by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.

Almost immediately, the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) threw down the gauntlet.

“There is simply no scientific evidence that the use of traditional ammunition is having an adverse impact on wildlife populations that would require restricting or banning the use of traditional ammunition beyond current limitations, such as the scientifically based restriction on waterfowl hunting,” said NSSF President Steve Sanetti.
    Read the rest at the source.
    If they can't ban guns, they'll do the next best thing. Someone has failed to look at the unintended consequences of their actions. Causus Belli, indeed.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Monolithic copper bullets - the next step in firearms evolution.

I've also been looking at casting tin/bismuth if I can find a cheap source.

I believe the tin/bismuth would probably outperform cast lead, and the copper definitely does, though it's lighter.

As lead is banned, tungsten will be in higher demand, and bismuth is a byproduct of refining tungsten.

I'd also be interested to play around with high temp polymer/ceramic bullets...

Josh

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Someone has failed to look at the unintended consequences of their actions..

NO, they know exactly the consequences of their actions.

Make ammo hard to get and extremely expensive.

Guns won't be much good without ammo. No need to ban something you can't use anyhow.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Being a bullet caster I've taken the time to read some of "scientific studies" being served up by these groups. One ran a lead isotope test on blood samples from birds and concluded that the lead in the birds was the same isotope as the lead used in ammuniton. Although not for certain, I don't think that ammunition lead is isotope specific, and all you could conclude from this study would be that the lead isotopes in the birds were different from the lead isotopes found in the ground of their natural range.

Depending on the bird's range, there could be a lot of point lead sources other than lead ammunition. Sounds like these people are cherry picking the data.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    NO, they know exactly the consequences of their actions.

Make ammo hard to get and extremely expensive.

Guns won't be much good with ammo. No need to ban something you can't use anyhow.

This plus it will be harder to make our own bullets. Anything we are forced to buy from a store is easier to tax/control.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Some time ago, under Clinton, I think, Field & Stream, I think, reported,
    that (they), wanted to ban making your own sinkers, for fishing...
    It went down in a horrible defeat... If this happens, we need to fight,
    once it starts, it will be a never-ending fight.....

REMEMBER, IN NOVEMBER... VOTE !!!!! :twocents:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ballisticleadtoxicitymu5-1.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's all a ploy. If they can not take our guns Then they'll try to raise the price off ammo so high, that the average Joe can not afford it. Even if that forces ammo companies to redesign their rounds, and force them to increase price. My uncle told me, that the Army is now using lead free rounds. He said they are not worth a :poop:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I have never reloaded and am wholly ignorant on the subject, but have a question.

Could you cast bullets of aluminum or would it be too light to get the job done?

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    No way in heck this was going to happen. The democrats have way to many worries to add such a ban to the list of worries. Good to see the NRA in action once again!

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    No way in heck this was going to happen. The democrats have way to many worries to add such a ban to the list of worries. Good to see the NRA in action once again!
    Look at all that's happened, you can't ever assume something won't happen. I do not think this will be the end of it. The seed has been planted. I hope I am wrong.

Top Bottom