• ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Any of you guys ever come across this stuff. http://www.libertyammunition.com/Lead_Free_Ammunition/LIBERTY_HALO-POINT.html I have never heard of it before this month's Combat Handguns which has an ad in it.
    9mm is 55gr and claims to be >2000fps
    .40 is 65gr >1900fps
    .45 is 75gr > 1900fps

Im not sure how well this stuff would work for SD but that is what they are selling it for. Seems like an interesting concept. Just wondering if you guys have any experience with this ammo.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Talked to Julia at Liberty and was told a version for us civies would be out in about two weeks. I would like to try it. From what I could gather it is a segmented hp, splits into three pieces on impact.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Prepare for itemized list of discredits on this:
    1. This stuff seems gimmicky. Attach a buzz word from most new shooter's backgrounds (Halo) and boom, instant marketing win. Just like Extreme Shock.
    2. I want penetration. (yeah, that sounds as bad as it looks... :D ) I want a round heavy enough that will go deep enough to hit vitals. This stuff seems like Glaser, which has a terrible track record. Light and fast doesn't have the trackrecord that folks think it has... (cough bounce off bone cough)
    3. Overpenetration to me is a moot topic, particularly in regards to hitting the target. How much energy do people actually think even a FMJ 9mm is going to have after penetrating 12-24" of human corpus (bones, flesh, tougher than gelatin, skin, fat, etc...)? People watch WAY too many movies and are WAY misinformed over penetration. Folks seem to labor under the idea that overpenetrated ammo has power measured in kilotons... Hit the target, don't worry about shredding up half the neighborhood if the bullet goes through... Be aware of what's behind your target, but defend yourself with decent ammo first...
    4. This stuff also sounds like Aquila IQ, which did not do well in testing (and that automatically translates to bad JUJU in the eyes of the street IMHO). Just because they throw impressive numbers at you, doesn't mean it will work. Is this the 80's all over again? There is a reason the quick and light stuff isn't issued to police anymore...

Let's use our brains and the experience that has been put before us by the street experience and real world. Until I see a .gov agency using this stuff or a few actual shootings, I am non-plussed.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    This Halo ammo is issued to police. I'm not sure what to make of it myself as I have yet to do any testing on it, but I need something better than water jugs in which to observe wound channel and so on. Maybe some coyotes will do.:twocents:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    This Halo ammo is issued to police.

Okay, I'll bite. After looking over their website several times I have to ask this question: WHO? What departments?

Not directed at the above:

Their website is full of hoey. They have all these claims, but no real testing results (outside of their "testing" with a bunch of buzzword military organizations and locations). Shooting their ammo on vendor day at Fort Benning isn't realistic testing in my mind... :rolleyes: Want to impress ANYONE? Have a website that has SOME information (not just BS statements with no references or testing results).

Also, "Hague convention compliant" means diddly to me. I am not bound to it, so why use that as a selling point to me in their civilian or LEO section of the site?

Their font for the Halo Point looks remarkably like that of a video game of similar name. I am not terribly awe inspired by that.

The thing that does impress me is their corporate entity's list of credentials. One was pretty high up in Kraft Foods! :D

Top Bottom