• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So with all the firearm info out there when it comes to ammo info is few and far between. Especially when it comes to basics-storage, care and cleaning. For example, i recently purchased some MTM Caseguard boxes intending to use for long term storage. Since they are plastic and waterproof it seemed the way to go. A couple of days ago however, i'm reading somewhere that ammo should be stored in the original factory boxes. I assume this means that moisture will get trapped inside and corrode the ammo inside. Cleaning, from what i gather is a whole art in itself. How to handle, polish or not polish, what can be done to prevent corrosion, what happens to a cartridge once corrosion has started, what solvents to use or not to use? Fingerprints on ammo causes corrosion so now i can only touch it wearing gloves? If you did get fingerprints on the cartridge you need to wipe them off before shooting it-but how and with what? Not oil, no solvents, ammonia, WD-40, or anything that could penetrate the casing and cause the primer to break down which in turn could cause a misfire. This is getting confusing:rolleyes: Anyone have an ammo bible for sale?:n00b:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You don't have to worry about fingerprints. I've seen ammo 10+ years old that shows fingerprints as rusty outlines, yes, but that doesn't mean you can't shoot it. Original boxes only help prevent physical damage to the shell as far as i know, but I do keep them in there, primarily for identification. The only other rules I follow, besides keeping the box, is to keep them dry, and store at room temp (i.e. in a safe). I've heard of some people tumbling loose ammo, such as .22lr bulk packs, to clean it up before shooting, but nothing else you described.

I think about the worst that could happen if you have really old ammo that wasn't stored optimally, is a quib round or two. I've definitely seen those, especially with 10+ year old ammo, or cheap reloaded ammo from Wal Mart. That's where you pull the trigger and it only sounds like a cap gun, then you see the bullet some out at about 500fps, like a BB. In those cases I think the primer goes off, but almost no powder, and it makes me laugh.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I had a 9mm cheapo tulammo where only the primer went off this past weekend. I was kind of mad too. Wanted it to fire.

I knew it was a squib before, and I probably shouldn't have tried as the primer wasn't seated properly, but I wanted to try it out.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The MTM boxes have an O-ring seal. I wouldn't submerge them in water and expect no moisture to get in, but they'll do a good enough job keeping your ammo from corroding quickly. Consider that the US military has stored ammo for decades in those steel cans, and that stuff still goes off when you shoot it. Do yourself a favor and don't over think this too much. If you're really worried, one bag of silicone desicant per can will be all you need to sleep well. ;)

As for fingerprints, or wiping cases off before you shoot them...uh, that's a bunch of nonsense! Those of us who reload handle each and every case multiple times, with no ill effects. Worry about that guy your teenage daughter thinks is "cute"...don't worry about yer ammo! :D

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I had a 9mm cheapo tulammo where only the primer went off this past weekend. I was kind of mad too. Wanted it to fire.

I knew it was a squib before, and I probably shouldn't have tried as the primer wasn't seated properly, but I wanted to try it out.
    :xmad:
    I was thinking of trying that stuff-which raises a whole other ammo question, but will wait to post it on a new thread, "ammo quality"-if it doesn't show up in the next couple of days, remind me.-stay tuned:draw:

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The MTM boxes have an O-ring seal. I wouldn't submerge them in water and expect no moisture to get in, but they'll do a good enough job keeping your ammo from corroding quickly. Consider that the US military has stored ammo for decades in those steel cans, and that stuff still goes off when you shoot it. Do yourself a favor and don't over think this too much. If you're really worried, one bag of silicone desicant per can will be all you need to sleep well. ;)

As for fingerprints, or wiping cases off before you shoot them...uh, that's a bunch of nonsense! Those of us who reload handle each and every case multiple times, with no ill effects. Worry about that guy your teenage daughter thinks is "cute"...don't worry about yer ammo! :D
    Good one
    I'm breathing a sigh of relief twice- for 1-I'm no longer worried about my ammo exploding every time the temperature changes a couple of degrees, and 2-i don't have to worry about my teenage daughter's latest crush, since i don't have one-yet:rolleyes:

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    If it has been stored for a long time shake it before you try to shoot it and you will have less misfires.

mosinfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    WOW..... For the most part (minus a 1000+ rounds of varoius calibers or so in the bedroom) I store ammo by the caliber inside surplus military ammo cans in a non temperature controlled room . With the exception of a handful of rounds of rounds I have never had an issue. That includes spam cans that have sat for years or ammo that dates to the late 1940's. Mind you, this is generally military hardball. I can't begin to imagine how many thousands of rounds I have shot.... Keep it dry ...no problems... :)

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I put all mine in 30 cal or 50 cal ammo cans that have good seals. I find some of those white desicant bags that coe with computer parts or other things and toss those in with the ammo.

goes :ar15:just fine later!

Top Bottom