• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some of the skeet shooters may recognize the name Wayne Mayes. He is a top ranked national class skeet shooter. He also taught a lot of training classes, all shotgun. I knew him in Texas, good guy.

Wayne Reloaded, LOTS of shotshells, as in using 40 gallon roll around trash cans for storage bins. Last week he was handling some powder in his reloading room. I do not have the exact details but something went wrong and the powder flashed, burning him and his house. He is in bad shape at the San Antonio burn unit. I am sure prayers are appreciated, for him and his family.

This is a reminder, don't ever forget that when you handle gun powder keep in mind the potential hazards. Open only what you need at that time, and keep all the fine dust swept up, with a broom and a dust pan, not an electric shop vac.

Never allow yourself to get complacent. I have visited dying people in a burn unit. That is not how you want to go.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    That is a very tragic event and my prayers go to him and his....

I have spent a few years with jobs in the health and safety world in the past and this is definitely a reminder to me on how quickly things can turn bad. It really is very easy to get complacent when you work around the same thing for many years without incident. Thanks for posting.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    They laughed at me for admitting that I swept up after every reloading session. I guess I'll just smile and keep sweeping now.

I get the same "laughed at" when I relate a story of a reloader on rec.guns many years ago who had a shop vac go up like a rocket while cleaning up some spilled powder. Invariably will come the "I vacuum powder up all of the time." Me, I prefer to learn from other folks' mistakes when I can.

Good thoughts to Wayne.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    This just in...

San Antonio, TX --(Ammoland.com)- For all our friends who may not know yet, Wayne Mayes was involved in an accident at his home on Monday afternoon which left him badly burned.
    Below is an update from John Haugh, who spoke with his wife Linda:
    “Hey, all of our shooting community: I spoke with Linda this morning. She said the doctors say Wayne had a good day yesterday. They have thoroughly examined his eyes and there are no lacerations, etc. That is great news. If Wayne has another ‘good day’ today — taking fluids, stabilizing, etc. — they might start skin graft operations as early as Thursday.
    “They keep Wayne sedated for pain management, but he is able to hear Linda. The ICU is small, and for protection from possible infection, there is no visitation.
    “He is not out of the woods yet, but the doctors were pleased with yesterday’s progress.
    “This is a marathon for Wayne, and they say he has to take it one day at a time. Linda has some family and friends’ support around her.
    “At this point, we need to continue our prayers and positive thoughts for both of them and the medical folks taking care of Wayne.”
    In addition to being a legendary skeet shooter who is universally regarded as one of the best shooters in the history of the sport, Wayne is married to NSSA Director Linda Mayes. We send both of them our prayers, love, and support in this difficult time.

Read more at Ammoland.com: Wayne Mayes Injured

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Thanks for the update worthog.

I have to admit, I had become a little complacent with powder. When I ran an errand yesterday I found a bottle of Pyrodex rolling around in the trunk of the car. It has been a few weeks since I shot a muzzle loader. Mental note to self.......pay attention!

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    It is my understanding that he was burning some unused (and old) powder(s) at his home and the powder(s) "flashed" causing him to sustain burns over 70% of his body. I have not seen any disclosure of the amount of powder he was reported to have been burning but it was implied it there were several pounds. I also have not seen any real definition of what caused the "flash" to occur. I have been loading shotgun shells at the same bench located in my garage for 15 years. I have carpet on the floor in that area. I don't spill much, but admittedly there is some small amount that does hit the floor. The only reason I sweep is to keep the general area clean. Smokeless powder does not explode like black powder. It merely burns unless under pressure and ignited by a source (i.e. a primer)

Nonetheless, general safety precautions are always adviseable.

Top Bottom