• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I got my Lee Classic Loader for 9mm Luger and seem to have some of the wrong components. I ordered 500 led cast and lubes 125gr. CP bullets that are .356. I have Accurate #2 powder and CCI small pistol primers. My brass is Win and Rem target loads I've already fired.

The powder scoop that comes with the Lee loader is .5cc and the table that comes with the loader only mentions Accurate #7 powder to be used with 100gr jacketed bullets and also for 115gr led bullets. the scoop will add 7.7gr of #7 powder. The same scoop adds 4.7gr of Bullseye powder. I don't have a reloading manual yet so I am asking the experts on this forum for now. I don't want to overload a round and damage my gun or myself.

Accurate #2 powder says it is a good target powder for 9mm so I was wondering how many grains of #2 I should use for a 125gr led CP bullet.

Also, I have been repriming empty cases and making wax bullets. These work to shoot the wax bullet out fo the gun with only the primer and no powder. Great for in the garage target shooting. WEll the problem i have been having is the CCI small pistol primers have been unseating themselves about 1/3 of the way after I fire these wax bullets. THis happens about 20% of the time. Any idea on why these primers would inseat themselves? They are fully seated before i fire them off.

Thanks for any help and information guys.
    Jeremy

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    For load data on Accurate #2 look at their web site. I have not been to their site but hodgdon, IMR, Win?, and Alliant all have load data on their sites.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    For load data on Accurate #2 look at their web site.

Linky: Reloading Data

Not sure what is going on with the primers unseating themselves. I do know that different brands of brass vary as to how tight the primer pockets are. Also, I have heard that re-using the same brass for many, many loadings can cause the primer pockets to stretch out - but I have never reloaded the same brass enough times to make this happen.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The primers are unseating themselves because the brass isn't being driven back. Without powder driving the brass back into the breechface and reseating the fired primer, when the primers are firing they are moving backwards, but the brass is staying where it's at.

My Lee reloading manual lists 4.7 grains of Bullseye as a starting load for 125 grain lead bullets. That should be safe enough. However, my handy dandy slidey thing that came with my set of Lee Dippers says the .5cc dipper throws 6 grains of AA #2... WAY too much. Lee lists 4.5 grains as the max load. The same dipper throws 7.7 grains of AA #7, which is just above the 7.5 grain starting load for a 125 grain cast bullet, so if you want to use AA powders and that .5cc dipper, that's the way I'd go. Frankly, though, you'll get more rounds with a pound of Bullseye, and it's a very good powder for 9mm.

You may want to drop $10 or $12 on a full set of Lee dippers, or better yet drop $20 on a Lee Perfect Powder measure. This will give you a LOT more flexibility in your loads.

Edit: DOH! The posts below me remind me that I meant to say a Lee Safety Scale, not a powder measure first. That's what I get for typing when I'm dead tired. The scale will help you know exactly what charge you are throwing, and can teach you consistency in how you dip, which is critical. If you are reloading on pennies, which I assume your choice of a Lee Loader as a primary loader means you are, you can pair it with a trickle charger to get your charge up to exactly what you want. A trickle charger is only a few bucks more than a powder measure, but as some of us know that few bucks matters. It's slower than a measure, but if you are using a Lee Loader (which work wonderfully, btw) you aren't going to be going fast anyway. If those few bucks matter, you can add a measure later. I have both anyway. Occasionally, I get a wild hair and trickle out every charge just to see how good I can get my ammo. The difference between just throwing charges with the measure and trickle charging up to EXACTLY what I want can be noticeable. But not very much at all, not enough to do it all the time, or even very often. Still, sometimes it's fun to make it the absolute best I can. If you can get the money together, I'd recommend both a measure and a scale, but get the scale first.

Last edited:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    In my opinion anytime you reload anything you need to check the charge with a scale. You don't have to check each one, say every 10th or so. maybe someone on here has one they will sell you.

Dave

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    I agree with dave. My lee auto disk powder dispenser lists the amount of powder dispensed through each hole in the disk. I always through a couple test loads at the beginning because I have rarely had the information be exactly correct. Especially with "cylinder" type rifle powder such as Reloader 15 and IMR 4064? (not at home right now to check exact). Then once I'm set up I'll scale check the first load, a middle load, and the very last load of each "set" of reloads (20 for rifle 50 for pistol).

jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I really appreciate the help guys. I guess I'll just get the Bullseye powder that my kit says to use for now. I'm sure I"ll be able to use the AA#2 after I get a scale and manual.

I use to shoot with an older guy, Bill Gregory, about 15 years ago. I haven't talked to him in years and he was in his 70's back then, so I assume he is no longer around. But anyway, We would shoot out at his house and then go up to his reloading building he had built and spend hours reloading ammo (I just pulled levers and never learned much more than that). The man had an awesome setup. Since I don't have him around to ask these questions anymore, I think it's great that I found this forum and am able to get help from you guys. Again, I really do appreciate it.

I am starting out with a Lee Classic loader partly because of space and money. I don't shoot that often right now so I don't need a lot of production, but I plan to change that by saving money on ammo and getting out to my grandma's 20 acres to shoot up my cheaply made ammo. I am slowly getting more reloading items ordered (I have a Lee reloading manual 2nd edition on the way). I'm really interested in learning about reloading and anxious to get started.

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My Two Cents on Powder!

In my experience, the really fast burning powders such as Bullseye, AA # 2 & BA-10 have too short of a pressure curve and in some instances, the weapon will not cycle properly. For the 9mm/125 RNL bullet, I use 3.2 grains of SMP 242 (Titegroup) and the St Mark's Powder Manual shows 2.9---3.2 (max) loadings. A good inexpensive medium burn rate powder.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'd say definately get a scale, then get the Lee Auto Disk with the extra disk kit, and get the riser for it as well. The powder dips get real old, real quick...For powders, check out HP38, use less powder and seems to do a better job then Bullseye. Don't recall load data right now though...

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    HP38/WIN 231

They are the same fast buring powder, Hodgdon just changing name & numbers for commercial sales.

I agree, get a scale, there are plenty on Gunbroker & ebay!!

jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So I got my Lee dipper set in the mail today. As you said, Lee states that 4.5 grains of AA#2 is the max load for a 125 grain lead (.356) bullet. The .5cc dipper gives 6 grains of AA#2, which is way too much. The .3cc dipper however gives you 3.6 grains of AA#2. Is 3.6 grains alright to use of AA#2 with this bullet?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So I got my Lee dipper set in the mail today. As you said, Lee states that 4.5 grains of AA#2 is the max load for a 125 grain lead (.356) bullet. The .5cc dipper gives 6 grains of AA#2, which is way too much. The .3cc dipper however gives you 3.6 grains of AA#2. Is 3.6 grains alright to use of AA#2 with this bullet?

Start load is listed as 4.1 grains. Unless you are feeling an urge to practice malfunction drills, I'd suggest another powder that you can use with your dippers without guessing.

jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I guess I didn't realize how complicated this was going to be. It seems I either need different bullets, different powder or a powder scale. My Lee loader lists bullseye, unique, or something called VEC AO for the 125 grain led bullet. I can find AA#2 and AA#7 in my area. Gander mountain seems to have a lot of shotgun powder but nothing that my Lee loader lists. I guess it won't seem so bad once I get my book and figure out what powders I can use and where I can get gun powder. The only places I have found are Gander Mountain and Plainfield shooting supply. Thanks for the quick responce.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I guess I didn't realize how complicated this was going to be. It seems I either need different bullets, different powder or a powder scale. My Lee loader lists bullseye, unique, or something called VEC AO for the 125 grain led bullet. I can find AA#2 and AA#7 in my area. Gander mountain seems to have a lot of shotgun powder but nothing that my Lee loader lists. I guess it won't seem so bad once I get my book and figure out what powders I can use and where I can get gun powder. The only places I have found are Gander Mountain and Plainfield shooting supply. Thanks for the quick responce.

Grab yourself a scale (you'll want one sooner or later anyway) and a trickle charger. Use the dipper to throw a charge, and the trickle charger to bring the charge up to exactly what you want. It's not fast, but it's not as slow as you'd think, either. And your ammo will be quite consistent and accurate as a bonus. No need to waste the AA2 powder you have.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    If you want to shoot wax bullets without the primers backing out, drill out the flash hole. Don't know how much, but leave enough metal to hold the primer. Be advised YOU CAN NOT USE THESE CASES FOR STANDARD BULLET AND POWDER LOADS! Mark these cases for wax bullets only. Try a few to see if they work for you.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Check out MidwayUSA for reloading supplies. I use Lee reloading equipment, pony up the $20.-30.00 and get the Auto Disc Powder measure, it'll make relaoding so much easier...Where are you located? I saw some HP38 at Traildust here in Bloomington for the "low" price of $18. for a pound. Don't get frustrated, once you get set up, it'll be real easy to knock out a couple hundred rounds!

jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Time for a scale or powder measure. With the Lee modern reloading second edition book, the Lee classic loader, and a set of Lee dippers, I was able to load 5 rounds. None of them would cycle the gun though. The .3cc dipper shorts me .04cc's of powder. The book calls for .34cc's of AA#2 but also says to use the .3cc dipper. It's just not quite enough to get the case to eject fully out of my Sig. I got to say though, it felt really good to make my own live rounds, even if they still need work. Just 1 or 2 more tools to buy and I'll be able to shoot my 9mm a lot more often. Thanks for all the help guys.

orlandoave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    I use Bullseye with 115gr plated RN X-Treme bullets at 4.7 grains with decent results. Bullseye is good for 32cal, 38 Special, 40cal and 9mm. It is economical and reasonably
    clean. The X-Treme plated 115 grain is not bad and priced nicely.

GlockMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Is there an inexpensive digital scale that anyone would recommend? I am currently using a Lee scale.

Top Bottom