• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I have some 7.62x39 that came in a clear 'bladder' pack. Its brass cased with 13 over 88 headstamp. Anyone know where this came from, is it corrosive, what is it worth....? Thanks

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I have some 7.62x39 that came in a clear 'bladder' pack. Its brass cased with 13 over 88 headstamp. Anyone know where this came from, is it corrosive, what is it worth....? Thanks
    The ammo appears to be from Pretoria Metal Pressings (South Africa)
    Cuba also uses the "13" but I doubt if your ammo is some of Fidel's stash.
    Since it was likely made to Russian Military specs I would presume that it is corrosive and do the thorough hot water cleaning routine after shooting it.
    Mike

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Pretoria Metal Pressings exports nearly all of their ammo production. Some goes to Cuba. The odds of your ammo having been sent to Cuba, then smuggled out and sold on the black market are pretty slim.
    It is likely that your ammo was "over run" and sold to a foreign distributor who then sold it to an American distributor. (I believe that we still have a trade embargo on South Africa.)
    Mike

TempusFugit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Good stuff

Your ammo is, most likely, South African surplus. It was manufactured in Praetoria prior to commercial production. A good quantity was imported in the mid-90's. It came packaged in small cardboard boxes, clear 200 rd battlepacks and 1440rd wood crates. Short of tailored handloads, it is one of the most accurate 7.62x39 rounds you will find. It was the preferred ammo used by Gordon Technologies for testing their rifles. Those with some still stashed away will rarely part with it.

Last edited:

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    That ammo is junk. Send it to me for proper disposal.
    ISeeWhatYouDid.jpg
    :laugh:

MTex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Definitely Praetoria Metal Pressings

The South African origin of the battle pack is pretty much confirmed by the headstamp gallery at this fairly official site:

Numbers

(if the link gets scrubbed, check out the headstamp gallery at afte.org)

I have two battle packs myself, but have removed the boxes from the plastic. The original packaging is 8 x 30 round boxes of truncated pyramid shape in a clear plastic battle pack. There are no markings on the plastic or the boxes.

I'm glad to hear it's so rare and accurate. I was about to consider it old and shoot 'em up. Thanks TempusFugit and Reloader.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    You all got my curiosity up. I scrounged around here and found 5 of those battle packs. I'd forgot where it was made and have no idea what it cost, probably not much.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    It is South African. I have a few packs left from back when AIM was selling it in 2001, or thereabouts.

I should dig up the receipt so we can all laugh or cry at the price. :)

Top Bottom