• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I spotted a fully marked, toyota camry, IMPD squad car yesterday around the pike township area. Is this the replacement for the malibu? I know Ballard bought around 30 hybrid camry's a year or so ago for city employees. Is this the new squad car for indy, damn i hate to see us not buy American, but hell i don't.:dunno:

Last edited:

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I highly doubt it was being used as a patrol car. Likely administrative. Down here in Bloomington our Sheriff's department has a few Prius' for the admins. Looks kinda funny but I bet they save a ton on gas compared to the SUV/Crown Vics they used to drive AS ADMINS.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I highly doubt it was being used as a patrol car. Likely administrative. Down here in Bloomington our Sheriff's department has a few Prius' for the admins. Looks kinda funny but I bet they save a ton on gas compared to the SUV/Crown Vics they used to drive AS ADMINS.

that is understandable, that is what the current (or past) malibu's were for. But it was marked just like all if our crown vic's, oh well just curious.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

The increases sticker price makes any fuel savings a wash.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I spotted a fully marked, toyota camry, IMPD squad car yesterday around the pike township area. Is this the replacement for the malibu? I know Ballard bought around 30 hybrid camry's a year or so ago for city employees. Is this the new squad car for indy, damn i hate to see us not buy American, but hell i don't.:dunno:

I sure hope they are not being used as regular patrol cars. They are not pursuit rated and would be a huge civil liability if something went wrong. I would say they would be a liability from the public and from the officer forced to use the stupid thing for a patrol car. Pretty dumb IMO.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The increases sticker price makes any fuel savings a wash.

Yea I didn't think about that. State price bid on a Ford CV in 2009 was 18k. I would be ticked if I was forced to drive ANY jap car. I don't do Japanese cars period. They aren't even allowed in my driveway.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    The Camry is not made in Indiana.

You would be wrong. They are made at Subaru of Indiana Automotive INC where I work.

"Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. ( SIA) is an Indiana-based manufacturer of the Subaru Outback, Legacy, and Tribeca line of vehicles. SIA is the only Subaru auto assembly plant in the United States. SIA Associates also build the Toyota Camry through a business collaboration with Toyota."

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    You would be wrong. They are made at Subaru of Indiana Automotive INC where I work.

"Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. ( SIA) is an Indiana-based manufacturer of the Subaru Outback, Legacy, and Tribeca line of vehicles. SIA is the only Subaru auto assembly plant in the United States. SIA Associates also build the Toyota Camry through a business collaboration with Toyota."

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I read an article a few years ago about this... IIRC: They got a dozen or so of the Camry Hybrids for general admin usage.

Not at all sure about them being hybrid, but for sure they're admin usage. NOT patrol vehicles. I presume it's possible for them to act as a "radio car", but that'd require them to be out and about on duty.

-J-

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington

They are also used for paper service, which actually makes a lot of sense. You don't need V8 power to tell somebody to go to court.

Top Bottom