• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I work a "day program" with adults with developmental disabilities. Our senior citizens program decided it would be fun to raise some chickens, from chicks, until they were not cute any more. Long story short, I ended up with 10 free chickens. 5 that we think are hens and 5 that we think are probably roosters. We will certainly be eating the roosters, and we haven't yet decided if we are going to butcher the hens, or try to keep them for laying eggs.
    Here is a photo of what I have them in for now, but I want to get something bigger built very soon. The pen I have is far is built out of wire shelving and is open on the bottom. So that they can eat grass and bugs, as well as the other stuff I feed them. I have a plastic tub that I cut one end out of that I put in with them at night so they can go in and stay warm.
    chickencage.jpg

So far it is working out really well except that, the pen is small enough that I have to move it a couple of times a day to keep them clean and dry. I picked up some free chain link fence this afternoon so I should have something bigger built in a day or two.

Aggar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Go to rural king or tractor supply and get some electric fence stakes(yellow and black) and some chicken wire and make one would be 2ft high and however big you wanna go around. Or get some orange construction fence about 4 feet tall. Go to a farm store and ask one of the Hellers you need to make a chicken pen.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Go to rural king or tractor supply and get some electric fence stakes(yellow and black) and some chicken wire and make one would be 2ft high and however big you wanna go around. Or get some orange construction fence about 4 feet tall. Go to a farm store and ask one of the Hellers you need to make a chicken pen.
    The chain link I got on freecycle is lightweight and 3' tall. I am planning to get some PVC pipe and zip ties to make what amounts to 4 gates that I will fasten on the corners. Should be easy and cheap and work well. It will be something like this only different dimensions.
    PortableChickenCoop.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom