Thinking about getting a tattoo. What do you think?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I've been thinking for a few years that I'd like to get a tattoo. One of a p-51 Mustang. I've quickly mocked up a photo of something similar to what I want it to look like. The plane itself is going to end up looking different than this. It will be more simplified. More like a logo mark than a realistic looking plane. But will look like the P-51 Mustang.

What do you think of the placement and size and subject?

561261_10151979953980654_60471466_n.jpg

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    As someone who has tattoos, why a p-51 and why on your back?

It will be the future logo for my online business (see footer address). So it represents the first business I've started on my own.

It will also represent in a way, my current car, which I consider my first car. Or at least the first car I really enjoy. A 2006 Mustang GT. But I figured a car tattoo would be a little too rednecky for me.

Plus, I just really love the old warbirds. There's something classy about them. Mean looking and yet elegant.

I really wish it had a little more meaning than that. Like my grandpa flew them in WWII. But in fact he might have had support from them.

But the main reason is that HANGER 3 has been a successful business. But I was thinking about getting a Corsair tattoo, like the one on the site currently, but switched it to the P-51 Mustang. So when I get the new design for the Tattoo, I will re-build the website with the new logo.

Also the placement on the back is kind of why I haven't gotten a tattoo in the first place. I want something that I can easily cover up.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I go for subtlety with my stuff. If people notice, thats fine. I don't go out of my way to show off what I have. Kind of why I went with matte black racing stripes on a black car. Some people notice them, some dont. But when they do, they love them.

This will still stick out when I'm at the pool. Or when I wear a tank top.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I like the idea, but hopefully it won't be solid black. Something like this maybe (colored in to taste)?

P51%20Mustang%20Right%20BW.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't know. Any suggestions? Never gotten a tattoo before, so I don't know whats around, and whats good.

There's a shop in Carmel off Main/Monon that does great work. Nt sure about their pricing, but have been impressed with the stuff I seen others have gotten there.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    There's a shop in Carmel off Main/Monon that does great work. Nt sure about their pricing, but have been impressed with the stuff I seen others have gotten there.

And I think thats the only one I have seen, or remember seeing. Was walking on Main Street at about 8pm, and there were a few people sitting in the window. So I figured it was either a popular place, or someone was having a bachelor/bacheloret party there.

bmgreen13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Parts Unknown
    I would suggest geting some detail in it. You'll most likely be glad you did in the long run. Revolution in West Lafayette is a great shop. Ask for Chad, he's a great artist. Here is some of his work from 2008 when he was just starting and he has continued to grow as an artist.

192_574526851558_8357_n.jpg

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    It will be the future logo for my online business (see footer address). So it represents the first business I've started on my own.

It will also represent in a way, my current car, which I consider my first car. Or at least the first car I really enjoy. A 2006 Mustang GT. But I figured a car tattoo would be a little too rednecky for me.

Plus, I just really love the old warbirds. There's something classy about them. Mean looking and yet elegant.

I really wish it had a little more meaning than that. Like my grandpa flew them in WWII. But in fact he might have had support from them.

But the main reason is that HANGER 3 has been a successful business. But I was thinking about getting a Corsair tattoo, like the one on the site currently, but switched it to the P-51 Mustang. So when I get the new design for the Tattoo, I will re-build the website with the new logo.

Also the placement on the back is kind of why I haven't gotten a tattoo in the first place. I want something that I can easily cover up.

Then it has all the meaning that it needs. I have three right now, and each mean something different to me.

Although for a first tattoo, personally, i would not get that as a back tattoo but put it on your bicep that way you can still cover it up with a shirt. Putting it on your back implies that it is a burden you must carry, or it is something you want to put behind you, while putting it on your arm implies that it is something that gives you strength.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Putting it on your back implies that it is a burden you must carry, or it is something you want to put behind you, while putting it on your arm implies that it is something that gives you strength.

Never really thought about placement like that. I've always thought that just a single tattoo in that area looks pretty cool. I like the ones that spill onto the bicep, but that would just be too much for me.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Never really thought about placement like that. I've always thought that just a single tattoo in that area looks pretty cool. I like the ones that spill onto the bicep, but that would just be too much for me.

When it comes to tattoos, it can have as much meaning or as little as you want it to, and it can mean whatever you want it to.

My next two tattoo are going to be a raven and a koi. The koi is going on my leg; the koi is a traditional Japanese meaning of good fortune. The reason i'm getting it on my leg is that since I'm a combat engineer so I'm hoping not to step on any mines/IEDs. The raven is a traditional symbol of trickery, i haven't decided where I'm going to put that one yet.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I don't really put much stock into the meaning of placement regarding tattoos. I've heard that stuff a few times but with fairly generic designs, I think it is just something to kill time while you're getting the tattoo. If you want the tattoo on your back so it is easily covered, get it on your back. Nobody is going to question why you put it where you did. If they do, they've got far too much time on their hands and far too little going on in their own world.

That said, if you're just looking to do it as a logo, you really should consider having something done with some detail. It'll look much, much better.

Top Bottom