Amazing Crawling Ice

This is pretty cool video of lake ice crawling across the land.

There is some swearing, but it's not over the top swearing. The sound of the ice is crazy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fX3PkXiYO4k

I've always heard how glaciers were formed, and I just couldn't really picture ice moving across the land... This sort of puts it in to perspective for me.

If I was there it would've freaked me out a little.
    Nil

It's...not really a glacier. The ice in this video was caused by ice on the nearby lake breaking up, and then strong winds pushing it up onto land. Here's a similar story. Sadly, many of the homeowners have insurance policies that don't cover ice damage, even though they live on a lake in Canada.

Wall of ice destroys Manitoba homes, cottages - News - MSN CA
    Last edited by Scutter01; 05-14-2013 at 15:16.

Meh.

That's horrible for the homeowners. I didn't see that about the insurance. Looks like you need to check all the options when you get homeowners insurance.
    Nil

Quote Originally Posted by Andy219 View Post
    That's horrible for the homeowners. I didn't see that about the insurance. Looks like you need to check all the options when you get homeowners insurance.
    Everyone should periodically review their insurance. It's boring, but it's how you protect yourself. People tend to think that it covers anything that could happen, but that's rarely the case.

Dennis Stykalo, who's cottage is full of ice after Friday night's wind storm, told CBC News his insurance does not cover damage done by ice.
    He said he's devastated after the event — he can't even get inside to recover his valuables.
    "You know you've got cement, concrete blocks, and steel and the ice goes through it like its just a toothpick," said Stykalo. "It just shows the power. There is nothing you can do, you just get out of the way and just watch."
    CBC News also contacted an insurance company in Winnipeg who said generally coverage is not provided for damage to homes caused by shoreline ice build up or water-borne ice.

Meh.

That's amazing.

Insurance issue sounds like the flood from Katrina not being covered as it was a flood, not hurricane
    This page intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by Scutter01 View Post
    It's...not really a glacier. The ice in this video was caused by ice on the nearby lake breaking up, and then strong winds pushing it up onto land. Here's a similar story. Sadly, many of the homeowners have insurance policies that don't cover ice damage, even though they live on a lake in Canada.

Wall of ice destroys Manitoba homes, cottages - News - MSN CA
    Stand guard with a flame-thrower?
    Quote Originally Posted by Effingham View Post
    "Clearly, you ARE like that. You DO do that. You DID do that. And that makes it EXACTLY who you are."
    On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs
    Quote Originally Posted by RedneckReject View Post
    Yeah I totally wasn't paying attention when I hit it.

Master
    That d... global warming. (And it's probably Bush's fault.)

Plinker
    Saw that on the weather channel last night. It's creepy how slowly it moves .. but nothing's going to stop it .. almost like a lava flow.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryv View Post
    Saw that on the weather channel last night. It's creepy how slowly it moves .. but nothing's going to stop it .. almost like a lava flow.
    And it has that Eriee sound... Still a crazy phenomena.
    Nil