• ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Update: 1/11/14
    I planned to give this to the family around Christmas time but we still had a significant amount of donations that were outstanding so I decided to wait. I've received a few of those stragglers and also added some new pledges/donations in the meantime. My brother is much closer to the family than I am (Abbey, the widow, attended his recent wedding to put it in perspective) so I sent the donations with him so he could personally give them to her. The final amount was $455. We still had several people that PMed me asking for an address to send money to but never did. I never added them to the list because they didn't tell me how much they were donating. I think if we would have collected all that money as well we could have come close to $1000 for the family. But $455 is still a significant amount of money. Because my brother is going to personally give it to her I kept the money in it's original form. I.E. if you gave me cash FTF, I sent that cash on to the family; I wrote a personal check for all of the paypal donations plus my contribution.

I want to thank EVERYBODY for the donations, well-wishes, and prayers for the family. They will certainly help!!!

It was proposed by remauto1187 in this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/great-outdoors/319931-careful-out-there.html to take up a collection for the widow and unborn child of fallen IN deerhunter Tim Bowers.

For those that don't know Tim made a fatal slip-up while climbing into his treestand Saturday November 2nd. He fell, crushing 3 vertebrae in his neck paralyzing him instantly. He lay in the wood for 5 hours unable to move until his father and father-in-law found him after his wife of only 3 months called them and told them he hadn't returned home from hunting. His progrnosis was pretty bleak. Best case scenario he would survive the surgery to fuse his crushed vertabrae and would remain in a wheelchair the rest of his life unable to move. Worse options included living out his life on a ventilator in a hospital bed. He decided that was no way to live and he self-elected to remove the ventilator that was keeping him alive. He died 5 hours later surrounded by 75 friends and family members to include his newlywed wife and their unborn child.

That is a brief summary, for a more heart-wrenching news article look here: Tim Bowers: Parents of paralyzed Indiana hunter speak out about his decision to die | Mail Online

I know Tim personally, he is only a few years older than me, my mom works with his dad, and we went to the same high-school. I know other INGO members also knew Tim, and one INGO member specifically is a relative of his widow Abbey.

His family has set up an education fund for his unborn son and I would like to take up a collection for that fund. As a biased party I want to be clear that the idea for the collection came from a person that AFAIK does not know Tim or his family. I only wish to step out there and facilitate the collection idea that was proposed by others. I will track donations in this thread and present a check to the family.

Acceptable forms of donation would be cash (if we can meet FTF), check, MO, or paypal (least preferred). I really prefer not to have paypal because I cannot get the money from paypal into my account without adding my bank account which I will not do for security reasons. Not to mention Paypal gets a cut of the funds. If paypal is the only way you are willing to donate I won't turn it down.

If you wish to donate please reply stating so and I will rep you with my mailing address and/or paypal info. If I run out of rep I will have to PM my info to you. When you send payment please include your username in your paypal info or check etc for book-keeping purposes. If you feel more comfortable you can make checks payable to "Baby Bowers Education Fund" and your check will be forwarded with the rest of the donations to the family.

My method for tracking donations in this thread will be
    $XX Username for pledged amount, when I receive that amount I will turn the red text to green.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    And for those who don't know CountryBoy19 and may be hesitant to trust their donations with him, I've spent a fair amount of time with him and have a pretty good feel for his character and as far as I am concerned he's an upstanding guy. He gets the shibumiseeker stamp of approval.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    And for those who don't know CountryBoy19 and may be hesitant to trust their donations with him, I've spent a fair amount of time with him and have a pretty good feel for his character and as far as I am concerned he's an upstanding guy. He gets the shibumiseeker stamp of approval.

I agree, I get my own stamp of approval too!!!! :D

For those concerned, I've conducted group-buys here on INGO and done many other transactions, check out my feedback ratings. All donation amounts will be posted publicly so you can see that I'm not skimming off the top (with the exception of paypal fees for those that decide to donate via paypal).

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    We're off to a great start, almost $200 in pledges and already $60 that has been collected FTF this morning. Thank you to all that have pledged and donated to this cause. I hope to present a check to the family around Thanksgiving...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    By my estimates (some have asked for an address but not mentioned the amount they are sending) we are over $500 now. I hope to have a minimum of $1000, but I think with enough attention we might be able to hit $5000 and leave a huge impact on this great family. Lets keep this going guys!!!!

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I got $40 in this,and will probably put another $40 or more in this weekend. This family has many friends in the area. And, this lady has a long row to hoe.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    One last bump for any stragglers. I've received less than 30% of the pledges so far and I'm a bit disappointed that some of the largest pledges still haven't been collected...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Bumping this to make it clear that I did finalinze things and send the donations on to the family this past weekend. I felt it would mean the most to the family if the donations were kept in the original form that I received them; because I had received some cash donations I felt it was safest to give the donations to my brother who personally knows the widow and he could give them directly to her.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Bumping this to make it clear that I did finalinze things and send the donations on to the family this past weekend. I felt it would mean the most to the family if the donations were kept in the original form that I received them; because I had received some cash donations I felt it was safest to give the donations to my brother who personally knows the widow and he could give them directly to her.
    Thanks CountryBoy19.
    The good news is.
    I saw Abby this weekend and she expressed her gratitude for the outpouring of condolences, and generosity, that she's received since the tragic death of her husband, and she said she's looking forward to the birth of their son in April.
    The bad news is.
    We saw Abby this past weekend at the viewing and burial of her Granddad, my Brother in Law, who died suddenly last week of a massive heart attack.
    It seems like it never rains but it pours.
    Fortunately the Family has their Faith to help them through times like these.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks CountryBoy19.
    The good news is.
    I saw Abby this weekend and she expressed her gratitude for the outpouring of condolences, and generosity, that she's received since the tragic death of her husband, and she said she's looking forward to the birth of their son in April.
    The bad news is.
    We saw Abby this past weekend at the viewing and burial of her Granddad, my Brother in Law, who died suddenly last week of a massive heart attack.
    It seems like it never rains but it pours.
    Fortunately the Family has their Faith to help them through times like these.

I hadn't heard about that; it's really unfortunate... my condolences to your family...

I did see Abbey at my brother's wedding and she seemed to be in great spirits, but I'm sure she was holding back some emotions. I can't imagine how hard it could be to go to a wedding and be reminded that just a few months earlier you had your own wedding and then shortly thereafter tragedy struck and lost the love of your life ...

Thanks for the update!!!

Top Bottom