29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think it's a good law. Too many lights controlled by traffic sensors that don't detect bikes.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    If I was at an intersection waiting to turn left and the lights went through one complete cycle without noticing me, I would *safely* run the red and make my turn...I guess that made me a criminal.

Now I can run red lights in peace!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've had that happen to me in a car before. So, some of them won't trigger even if you sit right on the octagon? Hadn't thought of that.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have used the Green Light Trigger magnet on mine and my wife's bikes for years. I'm not sure if they help or not but I rarely if ever have to deal with a Dead Red light. If I have waited for a complete round I just go through the light with caution and would have explained to the officer that pulled me over. My wife always rolls through the stop sign with me when she is behind me to keep us paired together. She has waited a little too long sometimes before going through with me. I explained to her that it is go with me or wait and let other cars go. Do not hesitate as it will confuse the driver and they could pull out in front of you.

My only concern is about the lights that last longer than two minutes and the people that don't want to wait and say it has been two minutes.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My only concern is about the lights that last longer than two minutes and the people that don't want to wait and say it has been two minutes.

If there's no other traffic and it's an otherwise-safe turn, then I don't see why it would be a problem.

jontylercole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2014
    Peru
    Common issue. Good resolution I guess. Is a LEO gonna time the two minute period at the light? I feel like the rider can just say he was there for 2 minutes.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My Sport bikes were mostly Aluminum and ABS bodywork. They will not trigger a good number of light signals. I bought that big magnet to attach to the bottom of the bike, and saw no difference, a big hunk of ferrous metal is needed to affect the inductance enough to trigger the amplifier. If I was lucky a car or a Harley would pull up and trigger the light controller.

A really jerky officer ticketed me for disregarding a light after I sat through two complete cycles of the intersection. He said the inoperative light was not his problem, it was mine. "write to the governor" was his response. The new law would have prevented my ticket

The Highway department must have been able to fix it at one time. I never had trouble on US 31 north of Kokomo, until they redid all the intersections, and then I couldn't trip any of them.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    You mean to tell me it was against a law? I've been caught before, waiting... 2 am wanting to get home. Years ago I decided to never let a light determine the length of my ride.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    But for goodness sakes, be careful. Entering a red light can be dangerous no matter how light the traffic. A simple error and the bike rider is on the losing side of a collision.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Defective Signal

Before going trough a red light be really sure it is safe, even if it is legal.

If I was at an intersection waiting to turn left and the lights went through one complete cycle without noticing me, I would *safely* run the red and make my turn...I guess that made me a criminal.

Now I can run red lights in peace!

It is a defective signal, just like a power outage, treat it as you would a four way stop. The failure of the pickup loop to detect your vehicle means it is not properly adjusted. This will often times occur when repaved and the sensitivity is not adjusted. The new law helps make it easier to deal with LEO but the defective signal rule would still apply.

Putting as much steel over the loop helps interrupt the radio waves and trigger the signal.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If there's no other traffic and it's an otherwise-safe turn, then I don't see why it would be a problem.

I am all for the law and glad it is in place, but if you are on a motorcycle you will always have to deal with problems. I was sitting at an intersection in the turn lane waiting to turn left. The traffic lights are green for my side (without turn light because I rolled up on a green) but the oncoming traffic that I will be turning in front of has a van with two ladies in it sitting and not moving forward. I am thinking to myself that their light must be green since I don't have a turn light. After waiting for awhile I decide that it must me red for them since they aren't moving. I let out on the clutch and start to move forward, as I do I notice one of the ladies that were talking instead of paying attention say "Oh it's green". She starts to go forward. I am already committed to the turn and trying to stop would have meant laying the bike down. I twisted the throttle and got through before she hit me.

Riding season in upon us so be safe out there.

Top Bottom