• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yesterday my wife saw someone handcuffed and taken away outside her office. The guy had been on a scooter. While heading to dinner we saw a scooter hanging from the strap of a tow truck as the officer and tow guy tried to secure it. Towing a scooter was a funny sight.

Did I miss an anti-scooter law starting July 1?

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Where I'm at, most people hate those darn scooters. Nothing but 16 year olds and drunks ride them. Add in the fact they go 20 mph, and the riders always go down the middle of the road so you cannot pass them. They may be ok for city uses, but they should be banned for use in the country.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It's not the scooters fault. It's just a tool used to get from point A to point B. Problems come from the PEOPLE using the scooters.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Where I'm at, most people hate those darn scooters. Nothing but 16 year olds and drunks ride them. Add in the fact they go 20 mph, and the riders always go down the middle of the road so you cannot pass them. They may be ok for city uses, but they should be banned for use in the country.

I know and share your frustration. Unfortunately for my lead foot, they have the same right as you and I do to that lane.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Oh I know they, but seriously, they could get over and let people safely pass them instead of riding a foot off the 'center line'. When I have the diesel + gooseneck trailer + backhoe all loaded up and driving at max of 40 down the country roads I get over as far as I can to let people pass me instead of causing a 10 car line behind myself.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I know and share your frustration. Unfortunately for my lead foot, they have the same right as you and I do to that lane.
    Uh, nope. It just has never been enforced.

IC 9-21-5-7
    Reduction of speed; impeding normal and reasonable movement;
    right-of-way to other vehicles
    Sec. 7. A person may not drive a motor vehicle at a slow speed
    that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of
    traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or
    in compliance with the law. A person who is driving at a slow speed
    so that three (3) or more other vehicles are blocked and cannot pass
    on the left around the vehicle shall give right-of-way to the other
    vehicles by pulling off to the right of the right lane at the earliest
    reasonable opportunity and allowing the blocked vehicles to pass.

Low speed vehicles
    Sec. 8.5. A person may not drive a low speed vehicle on a
    highway that has a speed limit in excess of thirty-five (35) miles per
    hour.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Scooters suck. "Most" of those who ride them Suck. No license/multiple DUI's etc.
    I saw 4 kids on one just yesterday running down the road. Looked like a pic from some 3rd world country. If you hit one of these non-insured un-licensed POS it is your A$$.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Low speed vehicles
    Sec. 8.5. A person may not drive a low speed vehicle on a
    highway that has a speed limit in excess of thirty-five (35) miles per
    hour.

Learn something new everyday. Apparently this doesn't apply to the Amish or the bike riders up in Monroe county.

I knew about the 3 cars deal.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A scooter is not a "low speed vehicle under the law". Essentially, that's only electric cars that can't go more than 35mph.

Technically, under the law all a "scooter" means is a 2 wheeled vehicle with a step-through design. The engine, speed and other factors determine whether it is regulated in the same fashion as a motorcycle, or has very few regulations. However, when people refer to "scooters" they usually mean what the law calls a "motorized bicycle" which is not over 50ccs, not over 2hp, automatic transmission, design speed not to exceed 25mph. If it has 2 or 3 wheels and an engine and fails any of those, it is a motorcycle under the law.

I built this specifically to be deemed a "motorized bicycle" under the law...and avoid a hassle:

picture.php

Oh, and just a small pet peeve- if it has 2 wheels and you sit on it, you are "riding", not "driving".

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My personal favorite is the fat guys (realizing I'm an imposing figure myself) hunched over the handlebars trying coax 1 or 2 mph more out of that poor, overworked little engine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A scooter is not a "low speed vehicle under the law". Essentially, that's only electric cars that can't go more than 35mph.

Technically, under the law all a "scooter" means is a 2 wheeled vehicle with a step-through design. The engine, speed and other factors determine whether it is regulated in the same fashion as a motorcycle, or has very few regulations. However, when people refer to "scooters" they usually mean what the law calls a "motorized bicycle" which is not over 50ccs, not over 2hp, automatic transmission, design speed not to exceed 25mph. If it has 2 or 3 wheels and an engine and fails any of those, it is a motorcycle under the law.

I built this specifically to be deemed a "motorized bicycle" under the law...and avoid a hassle:

picture.php

Oh, and just a small pet peeve- if it has 2 wheels and you sit on it, you are "riding", not "driving".

This and you are an exception to the norm. Nice bike.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Scooters suck. "Most" of those who ride them Suck. No license/multiple DUI's etc.
    I saw 4 kids on one just yesterday running down the road. Looked like a pic from some 3rd world country. If you hit one of these non-insured un-licensed POS it is your A$$.

I can certainly understand the frustration brought on by those operating scooters improperly. They can be a real PITA and often downright dangerous. What I don't understand is this: If they can suddenly start enforcing new laws regarding scooters, why were they not enforcing the existing laws which would have eliminated the need for the new ones? If someone is drunk or driving improperly, it is just as illegal on a scooter as it is in a car regardless of whether or not there is a license, registration or insurance required.

I bought a nice scooter a long time ago so I could have a cheap alternate form of transportation that costs me nothing to just sit there if I'm not using it (no plates, registration or insurance). I've got nearly 10K miles on that little thing without ever being a part of the problems most people complain about. Now, because they failed to enforce existing laws, I am subject to penalties from new laws even though I was never a part of the problem. Sound familiar?

I am choosing to ignore these new laws requiring registration of my scooter (The new law still doesn't require insurance). I will continue to use it with common sense as I always have. From there I will just have to see how it goes. If I end up being hassled about it too much, I will have to decide then what to do about it. I don't yet know what that decision will be other than I know I won't be paying for registration.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

picture.php

That's awesome Ho! Going for the Harley look?

Top Bottom