Dictionary.com - Not exactly a fan of homeschooling...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    https://twitter.com/oddlysaid/status/498903976361066496

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homeschool?s=t

proxy.jpg

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    My wife and I have decided to start home school this year. Our two oldest went to public school for up to 3rd grade. My two youngsters won't have to go to public school. I feel like my kids are much safer at home with my wife and my kids don't have to see/listen to all the negative influences

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'd be curious to know how those sample sentences are generated. Do they pay some underling $7.25 to come up with 4-5 sentences for every word in English or is there some manner of data aggregation software in place that looks for common uses of the word in question?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Based on the response by dictionary.com posted by pudly (post #4) to the letter they received from a concerned citizen, it would appear dictionary.com hires folks to come up with these sentences, and does review them for 'neutralness'.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'd be curious to know how those sample sentences are generated. Do they pay some underling $7.25 to come up with 4-5 sentences for every word in English or is there some manner of data aggregation software in place that looks for common uses of the word in question?

Based on the response by dictionary.com posted by pudly (post #4) to the letter they received from a concerned citizen, it would appear dictionary.com hires folks to come up with these sentences, and does review them for 'neutralness'.
    Actually their reply says a program finds the sentences and they review them.

Our 1,605,969 example sentences have been pulled programmatically from reputable publications online over the course of the last ten years, and our lexicographers are constantly reviewing them to ensure that our site is a reference source of the highest quality. As a small team, we appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention so that we could quickly fix this situation.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Much thanks for the clarification. It seems somewhat of a combination of the two then, in which case the editors are very much culpable for their error here.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I imagine they didn't even think about it. I couldn't imagine going through the dictionary making sure the examples are pertinent and non-offensive.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We are starting our 12th year of home schooling with our oldest a junior in high school. We have 4 kids in grades 11, 9, 5 and 4. It's not for everyone, but we enjoy it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Dictionary.com list "octopi" as an acceptable pluralization of octopus. Therefore, it can't be trusted.

The "i" suffix is a Latin rule of pluralization. However, Octopus is of Greek origin, and as such, the native plural would be octopode.

Stick with octopuses unless you want to be pretentious.

Top Bottom