• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Headed north on 65 by the construction at 465 on the south side, I saw a car pulled over by a white pickup truck with red/blue lights. I didn't notice much else in the way of markings. A uniformed officer was leaning into the passenger window of the car and someone with a very professional looking camera was in The grass 15' away taking pictures.

Anyone know what this might have been about? The oddest part to me was the photographer.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't know about the photographer, but the state police have been using plain white pickups for interstate patrols for some time. Maybe someone is doing a newspaper story on it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ISP started using those trucks a year or two ago. They like to use them in construction zones because they blend in with all the work trucks and highway dept supervisor vehicles.

Fox59 was probably doing a story about them and/or the holiday weekend crackdown that inevitably happens on holidays.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Funny how they like to blend in even though it is described as a deterrent. Seems if they wanted to "deter" they'd be obvious about there presence. . .unless their goal is revenue?:dunno:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Funny how they like to blend in even though it is described as a deterrent. Seems if they wanted to "deter" they'd be obvious about there presence. . .unless their goal is revenue?:dunno:

Or...

People are more likely to slow down in construction zones when they see white trucks because they aren't sure if its a regular truck or an ISP trooper. You can effectively put more "troopers" on the road to deter people from speeding in this manner. If you only use marked cars then people see them...they slow down temporarily...then they speed up again. If all they see are trucks parked through the construction zone then they tend to be a little more cautious if they think one of them might be waiting to pull them over.

No, wait, that's crazy. That couldn't be it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Or...

People are more likely to slow down in construction zones when they see white trucks because they aren't sure if its a regular truck or an ISP trooper. You can effectively put more "troopers" on the road to deter people from speeding in this manner. If you only use marked cars then people see them...they slow down temporarily...then they speed up again. If all they see are trucks parked through the construction zone then they tend to be a little more cautious if they think one of them might be waiting to pull them over.

hence why the invite the media to do these stories...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Or...

Until I read this thread, I never knew ISP even patrolled in white pickups...so not much deterrent for me. A marked police cruiser would be more of a deterrent for more people in my opinion.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    A marked police cruiser would be more of a deterrent for more people in my opinion.

I don't call marked police cars deterrents, I call 'em draftin partners.:rockwoot:

Until I cross the Ohio state line later tonight, then I'll be callin 'em mother f***ers.:xmad:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Seems to be all the rage with police vehicles in general. They seem to get stealthier as time goes by.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Until I read this thread, I never knew ISP even patrolled in white pickups...so not much deterrent for me. A marked police cruiser would be more of a deterrent for more people in my opinion.
    Most people have no clue about the unmarked cars, let alone the trucks.

The most effective way for them to slow traffic is to cruise the highways doing the speed limit.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had an 86 Mustang back when they were using those, and it was hilarious to see what people would do out on 465 when they'd pass me and I'd pop out behind and follow them. I just kinda go the speed limit most times these days; I'm too old for all that hurrying.

Top Bottom