• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Seeing if any INGO'er is in the propane business. We have decided to ditch our electric stove/oven for gas but propane seems to be fitting our budget better.
    Not sure how big of a tank we would need as we only want to use a stove at the moment. Something we may add later would be a heater or something down the road (not this year).

Anyone have any suggestions for any company to rent/lease/buy a tank from and use to install?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Price around, as I'm sure winter rates are in effect. Allied Appliance in Wanamaker leases, and could tell you what size tank you'd need.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Price around, as I'm sure winter rates are in effect. Allied Appliance in Wanamaker leases, and could tell you what size tank you'd need.

Thanks! Will be checking them out as well!
    As for not using NG, there is no gas line to the house... the fees for that is crazy high and our house isn't exactly close to the road which makes those fees way to high.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Seeing if any INGO'er is in the propane business. We have decided to ditch our electric stove/oven for gas but propane seems to be fitting our budget better.
    Not sure how big of a tank we would need as we only want to use a stove at the moment. Something we may add later would be a heater or something down the road (not this year).

Anyone have any suggestions for any company to rent/lease/buy a tank from and use to install?

I'm not in the propane business but I would try to get a larger tank than needed. That way you can purchase your fuel when prices are down, and won't be forced to purchase the fuel when prices are high.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Thanks! Will be checking them out as well!
    As for not using NG, there is no gas line to the house... the fees for that is crazy high and our house isn't exactly close to the road which makes those fees way to high.

I could see that. Guess I'm lucky. We're switching to a gas range also, and all I had to do was to get under the house and tap into the main line and run a new pipe to the kitchen. I also got a new breaker and plug to switch the 220 range plug to a 110 plug. Now I'm waiting for the range to be delivered on Monday.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I couldn't imagine using propane if I could use natural gas.

The initial on gas line install should be free depending on how far from the main line.
    Seriously OP.....Natural is the way to go hands down.

By the time you use propane for a few years the fees may not seem all that bad especially after you go full gas in the house.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

FWIW......Ya ain't gonna get the best rate on it, be'ns ya don't 'heat' (whole house) with it......jus' had 'XYZ' company come git the 500 gal tank had here......or I was gonna drag the sunvab*** out'na middle'a Hwy 31 , an' they could pick it up out'ere.....

Ya won't use enuff gallons of propane in a yrs time, ta git a good price.....like ya would if ya heat'd with it.....only thing here i used for was the fireplace/gas logs.....but ain't bought the sh*t fer the last 3 yrs 'cause o' the azz-rape they try'd ta do.....5 bux a gal (4.70+ a gal), last yr, an' I tol'em ta shove it......:xmad:

BUT.....if you insistant on cook'n with it.....have'em set'cha a 100 gal 'pig' tank.......100 GALLON.....not a 100 lbs cylinder......

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If you don't use enough to have the tank filled at least once a year, there may be additional fees due to lower demand. We got a bill once from a company we previously used because it had been more than 12 months since we had our tank filled. We heat with wood and usually only use one tank of propane per year for the water heater, stove/oven and dryer.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    propane_o_606803.jpg

Maybe Hornadylnl can put you in touch with this guy... ;)

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    If you don't use enough to have the tank filled at least once a year, there may be additional fees due to lower demand. We got a bill once from a company we previously used because it had been more than 12 months since we had our tank filled. We heat with wood and usually only use one tank of propane per year for the water heater, stove/oven and dryer.

I hope you told them precisely where to put their additional fees.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    We called citizens and was told $3k just to be able to hook in not including the run to the house.

That's a bummer. My neighbor told me she was getting a new furnace. I told her to go with Natural Gas. We have Nipsco here. It is about 25% of the cost of propane. She said her dad (who used to own the house) said it was $4,000 to hook up to NG. I told her to check and make sure. Nipsco told her the first 300 foot from the road was free. She had to pay for any more distance. They did all the work and it cost her well under $100. Her meter was about 350' from road. Other neighbor got hooked up to NG also. (they both got new furnaces.) His was 100' from road and it did not cost anything for the hook up.

Like Churchmouse said, you would be happy with natural gas. A lot cheaper for now. We are paying about 68 cents a therm (100,000 btus) Plus pipe fees etc. Propane is about $3.00 a gallon varies a lot(91,000 btus) When we hit the propane shortage last winter I heard it as high as $6.00 a gallon.

A buddy just looked into an underground propane tank. About $2000 installed. (They don't have NG in the area) Toward Union Mills. Above ground tank should be cheaper.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I hope you told them precisely where to put their additional fees.

I told them to come pick up their tank because it was now sitting in the driveway waiting for them. Then, they tried to charge me a fee to pick up THEIR tank. I told them they had three choices...I could drag it down the road to them behind my truck, I could drag it in the woods and use it for target practice or they could come and pick it up for free and make sure that charge was reversed. They picked it up.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    BUT.....if you insistant on cook'n with it.....have'em set'cha a 100 gal 'pig' tank.......100 GALLON.....not a 100 lbs cylinder......

Sounds like a good idea on the size of tank. A stove should run about 30,000 btus per hour give or take how hot you running it. Mostly less... a 100 gallon tank should give you well over 300 continuous hours run time. If you use it an hour a day that is about a year.

I posted before I read your comment.. $5.00 a gallon ouch... Prices shot up around the end of winter. Long cold one last year.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    We have one that has been sitting to be picked up for 3 weeks now. We were with East Side Propane but a couple of times last winter they sat on our road in front of the house calling me from their cell telling me they couldn't get up our drive. I asked him if he had tried and he said NO but I know I can't. So the next week the same thing they cam out but didn't even try to get up the drive. I was worried about running out of propane which means no heat and my lungs can't handle the cold at all. Finally one of the drivers after putting us off for 3 weeks got the truck up the drive with no problems and gave us propane. I think it was because we were on a locked price which was much cheaper than what they were getting from lots of others so they were making sure to get to them before us to get more money. Brad ditched them about 5 weeks ago and hey still have not given Brad his refund and their tank is still sitting here.
    So do not use East Side Propane they are rude and will over charge you.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Sounds like a good idea on the size of tank. A stove should run about 30,000 btus per hour give or take how hot you running it. Mostly less... a 100 gallon tank should give you well over 300 continuous hours run time. If you use it an hour a day that is about a year.

I posted before I read your comment.. $5.00 a gallon ouch... Prices shot up around the end of winter. Long cold one last year.

Well......when first bought the place in '98, builder had a 100 lb cylinder set just for.....the gas-logs......place is total electric....(frik'n....H/Pump.....POS....:rolleyes:)
    Silgas was the provider.....long ta short, went with nuther company in 2000, cuzz the cylinder'd run the logs fer bout.....?.... a month at'a time, an' they would'n set a big'r tank just fer the fireplace :rolleyes: .......anyways......I quit/ refused ta buy the s**t when they(new company) start'd price'n it at over 2.50 a gal......at was 4 yr ago......

IF......ya heat/ run appliances, they'll give ya a better rate.....:rolleyes:......cuzz you gonna use more.......:rolleyes:......an' they'll top ya off more.......:rolleyes:

June thru Aug is best time ta buy/ fill yer tank(s).......low demand 'at time a year.......so THEY say.......:rolleyes:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This is really discouraging news. The bug out compound I envision (after I win Powerball) would have 3 1,000 gallon propane tanks in an underground pre-cast concrete container. If SHTF, the house would be heated by a furnace and lit by generators fueled by the propane.

I've heard the propane industry is fairly unregulated and retailers rule the market. But that sounds like a bunch of suck to me.

Top Bottom