• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I am up in an attic way back in there crawling on my knees to work on an elevator motor when I reach for my LED flashlight and it is dead. Well now that is not good.
    Lucky I have an old regular bulb flashlight that is kind of dim... I made it work. After I got to the shop I inspected the dead dog and it was so full of corrosion I could not get the batteries out so I pitched it.
    Now I am looking for something tough and bright (140 lumens or more) preferably using two AA batteries.
    With technology growing so fast nowadays... any suggestions?
    This is what I pitched:
    flashlights-02-0812-lgn.jpg

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    nebo makes some cheap lights.. aaa batteries. Several styles.. pocket or belt. I work in maintenance and use a flashlight all the time.. hard on them too so I tend to buy cheaper. More and more choices out there now. So finding one for you wont be too hard. Good luck

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm old school and I'm a Maglite fan, all made in US and now they are pretty up to date on technology and they have stayed a maglite, Tough Tough Tough and works no matter what

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The newer LED lights have an electronic controller that tends to keep them at full brightness until the batteries just suddenly die.
    I have a "dumb" phone and my holster is large enough to keep a fresh set of AAA batteries in it under the phone.
    I HATE being without light; I guess it's from too many horror movies as a kid where the bad things always come out of the dark.

I carry a Preon P2 and use rechargeable batteries; http://www.the-led-warehouse.com/Preon-2-Gen-2-BLACK-p1720.html

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Streamlight, I've had a lot of lights in my career.. Auto tech, but the stream light stinger and strion both led are damn fine pieces that are rechargeable and tough as nails.. The stinger usually comes with 2 batteries and ac and dc charging bases for about $150 .. Super bright and great warranty as well..

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Also the stinger and strion are dimmable for lower power consumption and longer battery life and both have a strobe feature as well .....

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    First, you haven't heard it in other posts, from now through Christmas, the INGO coupon is worth 15% off your order!

But, to the OP: The Fenix LD22 is AA powered and easy to use. Great first high end light. Fenix LD22 Gen 2

The Preon 2 is handy, runs on AAA's. It puts out a lot of light for a smaller form light: Search Results: preon 2

IF you have easy access to USB recharge a light, why not get crazy with the lumens and look at the UC35. Fenix UC35

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    First, you haven't heard it in other posts, from now through Christmas, the INGO coupon is worth 15% off your order!

But, to the OP: The Fenix LD22 is AA powered and easy to use. Great first high end light. Fenix LD22 Gen 2

The Preon 2 is handy, runs on AAA's. It puts out a lot of light for a smaller form light: Search Results: preon 2

IF you have easy access to USB recharge a light, why not get crazy with the lumens and look at the UC35. Fenix UC35

Curse you for making me spend more money :-) UC35 ordered because of the INGO coupon code...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Curse you for making me spend more money :-) UC35 ordered because of the INGO coupon code...

Update: it arrived yesterday, so impressive shipping speed considering the weekend and the holidays, thanks LED Warehouse!

The pros: Good quality 18650 battery included. Light is as bright as advertised, the cycling through the settings is simple enough. Came with a belt holster and a wrist strap. Fully charged the supplied 18650 battery met or exceeded the life ratings on the light.

The cons: The beam pattern is not uniform and there is a slightly brighter ring on the edge of the central hotspot. The USB charging port did not work on mine. I tried three different cords and a couple of known good USB power supplies. I had to charge the battery with my external LiIon charger. I am not sure it is worth my time and effort to ship it back to Fenix for repair/exchange as it was not one of the features I bought the light for, but it would have been nice if it had worked. My intended use for this light is EDC for work so charging the 18650 separately as I do for all of my other lights is no big deal.

If the USB charging worked I'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

Top Bottom