• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    This is really making me mad. In the last month, 4 out of 6 orders have been damaged and I had to ship them back. Most are damaged in shipping but some of the packing has been a joke. I would conservatively estimate between the extra shipping and ruined items it cost the shippers and Amazon $2,500.

To make one of my purchases right, Amazon shipped by overnight air, an 8 foot long, 190 pound package workbench.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Amazon has really screwed the pooch these past couple years with their shipping. I lost count of the things they have mispacked, lost, shipped late, damaged. The spousal unit ordered a new pair of shoes from them about two weeks ago. Directly from Amazon, not a third party. They threw the box in a white bag then taped it shut. The box was not taped and when it got here the shoes were out of the box and loose in the bag. Nothing was damaged but things like this are all too common now.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I must be lucky. I order from amazon weekly and have never had a damaged item. Just received a nikon scope I ordered for a friend today...excellent packing. I'm sure the law of averages will catch up with me someday.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    While I've not received a damaged product in one year of doing business with Amazon, I have noticed many times that the shipping container has been many times too large for the item shipped. The protection inside the package was only a token. Fortunately I've not ordered anything that was fragile.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    with Amazon, I have noticed many times that the shipping container has been many times too large for the item shipped.

They push their "packers" pretty hard to keep up a tough daily production rate. It's faster to overbox an order than find a box of just the right size.

Last edited:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Only thing I've ever received broken from Amazon was a Metallica Black Album vinyl that was pretty well folded completely in half when I got it. Needless to say, the record didn't fair well at all.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I must be lucky. I order from amazon weekly and have never had a damaged item. Just received a nikon scope I ordered for a friend today...excellent packing. I'm sure the law of averages will catch up with me someday.
    Same here, though no scope, it was a camera. I haven't had a thing torn up either in shipping nor due to poor packaging from either Amazon itself or another supplier via Amazon. That would be in the life of my time using Amazon at several addresses across this great lans. Either the law of averages has forgotten me or I am in for a hopper. Personally I don't think it is either nor am I lucky, some folks are UNlucky though and for them, all I can say is bummer.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've probably ordered well north of 100 things through Amazon over the years, and the only thing that has been damaged in all that time was the Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" Immersion set.
    I had three (or was it four?) sets that I had to return because each of them had at least one of the disks scratched after it came loose from its spindle.
    The idiots at EMI/Capitol had put the disks on spindles in the bottom of the box, which promptly jarred loose and got scratched on the hard plastic spindles while in transit.
    This wasn't Amazon's fault, but EMI/Capitol's fault for such poor judgment in boxing their sets in this manner.
    Amazon's customer service each time was quick, courteous, and didn't cost me a dime to send each back.
    In fact, the last time, they actually overnighted it and overpacked the set, but still no dice.
    I sent that last one back and asked for a refund, crestfallen that I wasn't going to be able to listen to something that I've been hoping and waiting for over thirty years.
    I'm a regular on the biggest Pink Floyd forum out there (Yeeshkul!), and almost everybody in the U.S. had the same problems, while those in Europe benefitted from having their disks each protected by inexpensive cardboard sleeves.
    I even went to the local Best Buy (Muncie), requesting to open each of their three Immersion sets so I could examine the disks before buying, and all three had scratched disks.
    I had a family reunion in Greensfork a few days later, so I dragged the wife along with me to the Best Buy in Richmond, where they had one on the shelf.
    I examined that one, again finding scratched disks.
    I asked the sales girl if she was sure that was all they had, and she helped me look again at the shelf where it should have been.
    We almost gave up, assuming that they only had one, until she spotted one that had slipped off the shelf, lying on the floor.
    We went back to the counter and opened it, and *YAY!* all of the disks were in flawless condition at long last.
    By contrast, when EMI/Capitol made the Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" Immersion set available, they packed all the disks in the same type of cardboard sleeves that they used in Europe for the previous set, and mine came directly from Amazon in flawless condition.

Dunno what in the world could be going wrong with your shipments.
    So far, I've had an unbroken perfect record, other than a problem that was clearly a manufacturer's poor judgment.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    They push their "packers" pretty hard to keep up a tough daily production rate. It's faster to overbox an order than find a box of just the right size.

that explains it. Always wondered about that

I've never had issues with Amazon Primes shipping/packing. Everything I have ordered shows up on time and in good condition. Sometimes the UPS guy just throws the box over the fence as well. Last shipment was found on the ground by the mailbox. I am sure the dogs scared him off. Damn scary Basset Hounds.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I've ordered from Amazon a lot for a long time. Never any problems on packaging. I think once, a package went haywire in the shipping process but I think that was a carrier issue. IIRC, they regularly ask to have heir shipping and or packaging rated. Hope the OP has registered his complaints with Amazon!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom