• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Are there any state wide junk car laws in Indiana, or is it just enforced by the town/county. I have a neighbor that has about 8 junk cars in his yard. We are inside town limits and he doesn't own enough acreage to be considered a farm where it would be okay to have farm/vehicle scrap laying around. I've looked through the county website and can't find anything related to junk cars.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Are there any state wide junk car laws in Indiana, or is it just enforced by the town/county. I have a neighbor that has about 8 junk cars in his yard. We are inside town limits and he doesn't own enough acreage to be considered a farm where it would be okay to have farm/vehicle scrap laying around. I've looked through the county website and can't find anything related to junk cars.

Look under Public Nuisance laws for your county and/or the state.

Edit: Just did a quick search for Highland and found this.

Highland Municipal Code

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Edit: I moved. No longer in Highland. I live in Jasper county, Wheatfield now

Let me see what I can find. Does Wheatfield have a Board of Public Works? I don't know if they did when I was growing up there but they have a town council so they might have.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In indy they have code enforcement officers. They respond to complaints and just love to levee fines/fees and snatch up abandoned cars.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I was hassled by a local police officer that stated any vehicle that was not in an enclosed structure had to have valid plates on it. Not sure if that was a city ordinance or not, but if you are inside city limits I find it hard to imagine there isn't something that can be done. In my case I bought a new van and swapped the plate from the old to new. Old van sat in my driveway 4 days (planned to sell it) before an officer noticed and knocked on my door.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    How are your neighbors vehicles impacting your life?

Envronmental concerns can be one... What's happening to the fuel, oil, coolant, etc in those vehicles? That part of the state is well known for a very shallow water table. And, thusly, "shallower" drinking water wells. There's also the possibility of that stuff running of and into neighboring properties.

Then there's the possibility of those vehicles harboring pests that can negatively affect neighbors. Mice, rats, raccoons, opossums, skunks, etc.

Just a few possibilities.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    How are your neighbors vehicles impacting your life?

I'm with the "none of your business" category

And "Environmental" concerns that's pretty much a slippery slope.

Can you explain just How what he's doing is endangering you

"Junk", What is that, Project car's he's not got to yet., Something he wants even if you can't understand it. How long is sitting to long, 10 minutes, 10 days, 10 years?

Sorry I'm not trying to just flame, I think people should not worry about what other people are doing. Oh BTW I have 10 vehicles on my place right now. All of them are drivable but in different states of work aka Projects. When I decide to sell one or two I will , Or I might acquire another depends on how I feel.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm with the "none of your business" category

And "Environmental" concerns that's pretty much a slippery slope.

Can you explain just How what he's doing is endangering you

"Junk", What is that, Project car's he's not got to yet., Something he wants even if you can't understand it. How long is sitting to long, 10 minutes, 10 days, 10 years?

Sorry I'm not trying to just flame, I think people should not worry about what other people are doing. Oh BTW I have 10 vehicles on my place right now. All of them are drivable but in different states of work aka Projects. When I decide to sell one or two I will , Or I might acquire another depends on how I feel.

If I walk outside every day and look at a bunch of junk cars and the crap that goes with it it is effecting me. Believe it.

Would you just let that slide. In the country is one thing.....In town......no.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    If I walk outside every day and look at a bunch of junk cars and the crap that goes with it it is effecting me. Believe it.

Would you just let that slide. In the country is one thing.....In town......no.

So some arbitrary invisible line created maybe a hundred years ago determines your property rights?

So what if your in the "town" limits and the next property is not how does that work

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    So some arbitrary invisible line created maybe a hundred years ago determines your property rights?

Yeah.

So what if your in the "town" limits and the next property is not how does that work

Then the properties might have different zoning requirements (it's not that complicated).

If you want to start a salvage yard..........or a pig farm, gun range, or a clock factory. It's probably best to start out by purchasing a piece of property that isn't zoned "residential".

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The OP (and his neighbor) chose to live in a town that has some rules in place. Some folks actually LIKE the rules (I know! Hard to fathom!). He is simply inquiring about those rules, and where he may find them. Many of US may live in other areas, that have different, or fewer, rules. Good for us. No need to berate the OP about HIS choice of address.

OP: It is my understanding that all vehicles must be registered. However, that is really not enforced at all. You will have better luck with the local ordinances on junk and nuisances posted up-thread. Might want to just call the town office and ask:
    Wheatfield Town Government | Jasper County Public Library

If you haven't talked with the neighbor, I'd suggest that route first. Worked for me. While MY neighbor wouldn't win a Better Homes and Gardens award, their place has been looking better and better. Just needed some friendly motivation, I think. Idea: If those vehicles truly are junk, offer to help haul them to the scrapper for a cut of the profit. Win-win.

Top Bottom