• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    ****EDITED WITH UPDATES******** https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ence-point-blank-greenwood-5.html#post6296699

I took the boy to Point Blank today for some trigger time. I have been there on my own twice now and think it is one of the nicest indoor ranges I have ever been to.

I have been needing to get my Scorpion SBR on the range since changing trigger springs so I brought that and my M&P for myself to shoot and brought the P22 with can for the boy as well as his Savage .22.

We had been shooting for about 10 minutes and the boy was behind the trigger of the P22 when the RO came over and asked if I had a stamp for the can. I said that I certainly do, and that I had stamps for the other can as well as the Scorpion it was on. He said that I needed to show it to him. I asked why. He said because I am required to show it if asked. I told him that legally, the only persons I am required to show are ATF agents. He told me that if I didn't show him and continued to shoot then he would call the police. I kind of chuckled and said that I am a police officer. He said that he was a retired police chief and he knows what he's talking about. I told him that I was not going to show him the stamps and he said then I can't shoot the NFA items there. I asked if I could put them back in the bags and shoot the other stuff and he said yes. So the boy and I finished our range time shooting the P22 sans-can, Savage and M&P.

After we were done we went back into the store area and I found the manager and asked if we could talk. I asked him what the policy was about NFA items and he said that customers are required to show the stamp before being allowed to use them on the range, and that it was the law. I told the manager that legally, nobody has to show their stamps to anyone outside ATF. He then said that it's still their policy. I asked if it was written down or posted anywhere because I read all their rules both online and in-store before buying range time. He said that it was not written or posted. I asked how they ensured that everyone shooting on the range was not a felon or otherwise prohibited person. He said they don't do background checks because they have no way to do that but checking stamps was an easy way to ensure legality. I pointed out the hipocracy and irony in that. I also suggested that if they are going to have a policy like that then it should be posted because allowing me to get all the way onto the range with my legal items, then telling me I have to comply or leave is not cool. The manager did say that he would bring up the issue of this rule not being posted anywhere to the regional manager. Had I known that they want to inspect my papers and items I would have gone elsewhere to shoot them.

I really have no issue with them having a policy to show papers or not shoot. It's their place, their rules. Where I take issue is that, in my opinion, a rule like this really should be posted. I am a big boy and I can decide where to spend my money and what kind of rules I find acceptable enough for me to patronize a place.

My other issue, and probably the biggest one, is that the RO threatened me with calling the police.

The likelihood that I will return there, despite how nice and geographically convenient the place is, is slim based on this particular experience.

Last edited:

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    You can tell them the Forms are Confidential Tax Documents and pound sand.

They can also tell you it is a private property, you GTFO.

I'd just leave and never come back. You are the consumer, spend the money where you are happy.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    It's funny how they started out saying it was law that you show them then got downgraded to store policy once they realized you knew what you were talking about. I've not visited this place before but heard it was nice. I was not likely to visit due to my location (far east side of the state) but now I'm sure of it. I do not like places that have hidden rules that affect the customers then try to pass them off as law to someone they think may not know the difference.

:popcorn:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've never understood how people think this kind of behavior will bring in new and repeat customers, but it's their business.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I just find it hard to wrap my head around even wanting to have this rule. Anyone can rent a gun and/or shoot on the range, felon or not, because they don't check. There are myriad ways someone could be doing something illegal in there that they can't check on. Seems to me that the possible culpability on their part to accidentally rent to an improper person is far greater than a guy walking in with a few commercially produced suppressors and engraved SBRs. Even if my stuff was not legit, they have zero culpability there.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    That sucks. I wasn't likely to use the range anyway (the last time I used a paid range was 2010 or so), but I can't stand hidden rules.

I have only heard good things otherwise. Too bad.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    As a "retired police chief" I'm curious how many people he incorrectly hassled because he "knows what he's talking about".:blahblah:

I still meet cops that just don't have a clue about the laws. I don't expect them to know them all but I do expect them to look them up and make sure before they regurgitate BS for years on duty.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I asked him what the policy was about NFA items and he said that customers are required to show the stamp before being allowed to use them on the range, and that it was the law.

And which law is this?

Which law permits Joe Blow from Kokomo from looking at confidential tax material?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Entertaining how they claimed it was the law and then back pedaled to store policy but had no documentation of such. Sounds like their "Law or Policy" got ***** slapped and they didn't like the taste of their own blood in their mouth. Pretty poor showing on their part, guess I'll keep just driving by.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    They should at a minimum have it clearly posted in their rules if they feel the need to check. That's the part I don't understand: Why they would hassle someone so much when they allegedly don't even have it posted. They lose major points for that amateurish oversight.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Douche policy.

Double Douche move by the imbeciles claiming "it's the law."

I had no reason to go there, but I definitely won't now. I don't even have any NFA items, but I choose to avoid patronizing douches who engage in egregious douchebaggery when possible.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    You can tell the character of a range by whether or not they allow drawing from a holster.

I wonder if this NFA stuff is really the policy of their overall company - or was this just an example of the local manager supporting his employee?

This policy should be reconsidered. If they want to say no machineguns, fine. But this sounds ill-considered.

(In before the Point Blank Defenders..."the RO complimented my son's shooting skills, and the girl behind the counter winked at me - therefore, every policy they make up is fine by me"...lol).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom