• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've never really understood the point of entertaining these types of theories. What is the end game here? Figure it all out, make some sort of break through and escape to the "real" reality outside of our own?

Meh. There are a few things I know because I've witnessed them first hand. I've had a front row seat to both birth and death and I don't intend to squander the time between the two pursuing this type of nonsense. I guess if I were a billionaire maybe life would be so good that I could **** it all away but at this point, enjoying the time I do have takes effort, I prefer to spend it pursuing happiness.

If I'm wrong I still enjoyed my time living the life I wanted to live. If I'm right I still enjoyed my time living the life I wanted to live.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've never really understood the point of entertaining these types of theories. What is the end game here? Figure it all out, make some sort of break through and escape to the "real" reality outside of our own?

Meh. There are a few things I know because I've witnessed them first hand. I've had a front row seat to both birth and death and I don't intend to squander the time between the two pursuing this type of nonsense. I guess if I were a billionaire maybe life would be so good that I could **** it all away but at this point, enjoying the time I do have takes effort, I prefer to spend it pursuing happiness.

If I'm wrong I still enjoyed my time living the life I wanted to live. If I'm right I still enjoyed my time living the life I wanted to live.

Welcome to LEVEL II, Player One.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Men have had "theories" about being pawns in a game played by gods since the dawn of civilization.

Until he proposes a testable hypothesis, its all just talk.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I don't think you have to agree with him in order for it to still be an interesting theory. His argument is based on the fact that technology is advancing at an incredible rate and therefore future humans are obviously playing a computer game with us. That's too much of a leap for me. He does make an interesting point about what may lie ahead. Think about computers 25 years ago vs. today. Where will we be in another 25 years? 50? 100?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Yeah I kinda go the opposite way. Other than maybe the internet, what has been invented in the past 50+ years that has totally changed civilization? We've had electricity and cars and planes and tv and radio and telephone for darn near 100 years. Yeah we've "improved" all of those things but that's not earth-shattering. I agree with Mark Stein, humanity peaked when we landed on the moon. We did the hardest thing imagineable within a decade of Kennedy's challenge. It's been downhill ever since. Just something to ponder....

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Elon Musk makes the argument that a technologically advanced civilization has created our "reality" as some kind of computer simulation. It certainly explains the drama.

Elon Musk believes we are probably characters in some advanced civilization's video game - Vox

If I understand right, the following are implied by Elon Musk's argument:
    1. There is a higher power than us who created our universe.
    2. This higher power has not left any direct notice to his creations of what exists outside their experience.
    3. Given that we have intelligence and self-consciousness, we wonder about how we and our universe started and have come up with various explanations covering creation.
    4. The creator may or may not periodically intervene in the course his creations take.
    5. People who believe in these various stories about our creator look for ways to aspire to that level of consciousness.
    Congratulations Elon. You have discovered the existence of religion.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    [video=youtube;m1YxBKXjULE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=m1YxBKXjULE[/video]

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Meh, everybody has an opinion, the trouble comes when that opinion gets a lot of money behind it. Right or wrong money talks and the larger it is the louder it talks.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If I understand right, the following are implied by Elon Musk's argument:
    1. There is a higher power than us who created our universe.
    2. This higher power has not left any direct notice to his creations of what exists outside their experience.
    3. Given that we have intelligence and self-consciousness, we wonder about how we and our universe started and have come up with various explanations covering creation.
    4. The creator may or may not periodically intervene in the course his creations take.
    5. People who believe in these various stories about our creator look for ways to aspire to that level of consciousness.
    Congratulations Elon. You have discovered the existence of religion.

Exactly, and he came up with this:

[video=youtube;_Ls19O-9p3s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ls19O-9p3s[/video]

My hypothesis: Elon Musk is full of sh*t.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Yeah I kinda go the opposite way. Other than maybe the internet, what has been invented in the past 50+ years that has totally changed civilization? We've had electricity and cars and planes and tv and radio and telephone for darn near 100 years. Yeah we've "improved" all of those things but that's not earth-shattering. I agree with Mark Stein, humanity peaked when we landed on the moon. We did the hardest thing imagineable within a decade of Kennedy's challenge. It's been downhill ever since. Just something to ponder....

If landing on the moon is the hardest thing that you can imagine, you need to imagine harder.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Much of this is waiting on the next big condensation of controlled power. When we can make something the size of a tool battery that has the controlled power potential of a full tank of gas in a car, things will change dramatically.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

I completely disagree, in the scheme of things I believe we are accelerating in our advancements. The trip to the moon was simply us being willing to spend the money and energy to do it. It wasn't a purely technological feat but one of incredible will power and funding. Today, as then, theres no intrinsic or technological reason we can't explore other places, we just don't, as a nation (or species), have the same drive that we used to.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I completely disagree, in the scheme of things I believe we are accelerating in our advancements. The trip to the moon was simply us being willing to spend the money and energy to do it. It wasn't a purely technological feat but one of incredible will power and funding. Today, as then, theres no intrinsic or technological reason we can't explore other places, we just don't, as a nation (or species), have the same drive that we used to.

So the humam race doesn't have the drive that it used but you still think that advancement is accelerating....contradict much?

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So the humam race doesn't have the drive that it used but you still think that advancement is accelerating....contradict much?

We are accelerating in different ways, you can have your genome sequenced or a new bladder grown in a lab. Your example of space travel, however, is hamstrung by the lack of public support for such and endeavor.

Top Bottom