Stolen Valor?? I was just wearing the T-shirt...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    A few years ago my dad retired from Wright Patterson AFB. My dad was in the Marines in Vietnam. In the 80's he worked at Naval Avionics in Indianapolis then transferred when Raytheon took over. All of my uncles were in the army, navy, etc blah blah blah. I was not in the military. But I've owned and worn a couple military-type Tshirts since my teens (I'm 38). right before dad retired I got a black Airborne eagle tshirt. I've worn it numerous times without giving one thought to anything other than it's homage.
    I was recently checking out at the Kohl's (near the Fort) and the lady ringing us up said "OH! Mr. Airborne, huh?". I said, "No, ma'am I got this shirt at WPAFB where my dad retired..." and before I could even finish the sentence she starts screaming something about stolen valor and how I should be ashamed of myself and how dare I this and that. I looked at my wife and she could see I was about to go nuclear so she asked me to go out to the car and I complied. My wife said the cashier was later apologizing and actually wanted to follow her out to our car to apologize to me but my wife politely declined.

there a few men and women on INGO who served and whose opinions I really do value.
    was I in the wrong? is it disrespectful to wear military tshirts (out in public) if I didn't serve?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Nah. Wear what you want. No man buns or real medals though.

If you are attempting to disgrace those that have served (not your intention) expect to be challenged.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No, it's not stolen valor. Whoever has issue with it, should get over themselves. Especially if you explain.... but you have no reason to explain. You're proud of your dad's and other family member's service. End of story.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I don't see how it's stolen valor, you can pay a tribute to different military units by wearing their shirts.
    Same way wearing a t-shirt of your favorite sport team just makes you a fan of the team, and not a wannabe team member.
    I also seen people wearing t-shirts or bracelets to support the police, that doesn't make them police impersonators.
    As long as you are not lying about your service, or wearing a uniform with the specific goal of deceiving people, then I don't see nothing wrong with that.
    Some people go too far with that stolen valor thing.
    I remember a thread where a fellow INGOer was told he could wear camo pants because he didn't serve in the military. :rolleyes:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's a T-Shirt.

Am I impersonation Pink Floyd when I wear that t-shirt?

or Mr. Rogers?
    or the University of Michigan football team?
    or the Cubs?

Heck I have a Walter Payton throwback jersey....

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    +1 for you not being in the wrong at all there. I've got several T-Shirts from events with family a various VFW events, and while I've never served, I don't consider that stolen valor either.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    IF you are not in a uniform it is not stolen valor. I was a contractor for the Navy, I have shirts & hats from the ships i serviced I wear them some times & people think I served.. usually it is no big deal.. only once had to decline a discount..

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I agree. No stolen valor. My children have wore shirts from my units or friend's units. It's when we have the idiots that dress up in complete uniform with rank and name tags and try to get free **** that becomes disrespectful. Continue to respect your father and the service members....and THANK YOU!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    IF you are not in a uniform it is not stolen valor. I was a contractor for the Navy, I have shirts & hats from the ships i serviced I wear them some times & people think I served.. usually it is no big deal.. only once had to decline a discount..

In my opinion you can be in civilian clothes and still commit stolen favor by saying you serve when you didn't.
    To me it's more about what you say than what you wear.
    For example you can also wear a uniform without commiting stolen valor (during reeactments, actors in movies or plays etc).
    I see often young men wearing WW2 uniforms at reectments events, clearly they don't pretend to have stormed the beaches of Normandy.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Assuming you were wearing the screaming eagle... why on earth would anyone even consider stealing "valor" from a unit that's too scared to jump and too lazy to walk?

+1 no stolen valor.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well, a lot of people here have said that it was not stolen valor. I for one agree!:) I wear Air Force T-shirts often and actually like it when someone asks me about it. I love to talk about my son who is serving right now. I could care less about the Bears, Cubs or Caterpillar, blah, blah, blah. Not interested in providing free marketing for anything.

But I am proud to have a son in the military.

I would only consider something to be stolen valor if you were wearing a full uniform with bars and medals and if you were saying you served.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Ranger Up has some shirts that I won't wear because I haven't earned the right. Personal choice.

That gal was unclear on the concept. Good job using the other half of your brain. (Wife's suggestion.)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Nah. Wear what you want. No man buns or real medals though.

If you are attempting to disgrace those that have served (not your intention) expect to be challenged.

"No man buns or medals." Words to live by

You're cool, OP. Well, as cool as you can be with a screaming chicken on your chest.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I wondered if there would be one or two maybe say I shouldn't for this reason or that but you guys get it. I have so much respect that I wear the shirt proudly. I wished my Dad happy Marine Corps birthday today. We will be serving free plates for lunch and dinner to any and all veterans tomorrow (Greenfield Jim Dandy*). Thanks to all of those who serve(d).

*also locations in Tipton and Noblesville

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I was GIVEN USMC t-shirts and decals right before boot and told to distribute it all among friends and family...so no you were fine. It's (complete) uniforms and medals that will get you in beaucoup le poop.

Top Bottom