private pilot training - recommendation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I've found a handful of posts about flying here and it seems there are a few pilots among us. I've always been interested in learning to fly and getting a license and I think I'm ready to get started. But I see around 4 or 5 places in the Indianapolis area that do this, and I don't know how to go about picking one. Can anyone make a recommendation? Are they all the same - do you just pick the one nearest where you live? Is it a good or bad idea to spread out the training across different places? I'm nearly 35 and not looking to get into this as a career - just recreational. In fact I'm not even 100% that I will pursue it all the way to getting the license. But I definitely want to give it a shot. Thanks.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I've been out of primary training for a while, and out of the Indy aviation scene for almost as long.

Look at flight schools at the various airports (Eagle Creek, Metro, Mt. Comfort, Indy Exec, Greenwood, Hendricks County, etc). Look at the planes, talk to the instructors, get pricing for the plane and instructor. Convenience to you is worth a $5-10 extra bucks per hour, IMO...but not much more than that.

You don't need to pay a premium to fly a "new" plane; plenty of folks learn to fly in 70s/80s era Cessnas and Pipers although these days late 90s Cessna 172s are "old" LOL.

You might also look into a Sport Pilot rating instead of a full Private Pilot licence; might be more in line with what you are hoping to do and should save you some $$$.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    While I have had no interest in getting mine, for the past 2 years 3 different coworkers have been working at getting theirs at Metro which I believe is Tom Wood. So far the only one to get there license used an instructor named John. John is an older guy that is very by the book but his job is to be an instructor. The other 2 guys have used younger guys at Tom Wood who just are instructing to get hours before they can fly commercial. They have used about 3-4 different instructors because of this.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks all.

While I have had no interest in getting mine, for the past 2 years 3 different coworkers have been working at getting theirs at Metro which I believe is Tom Wood. So far the only one to get there license used an instructor named John. John is an older guy that is very by the book but his job is to be an instructor. The other 2 guys have used younger guys at Tom Wood who just are instructing to get hours before they can fly commercial. They have used about 3-4 different instructors because of this.

That's a good starting point, thanks. Did they change instructors because the instructors were moving on, or they just weren't any good?

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Thanks all.

That's a good starting point, thanks. Did they change instructors because the instructors were moving on, or they just weren't any good?

They moved on to jobs at commercial companies. They now are trying to find a new instructor because theirs just got hired again.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Don't know if Darrel Schrader is still instructing at Shelbyville, but he was a first rate professional instructor for primary and instrument.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Important point, take off is optional, landing is mandatory.

This is only true if your objective is to avoid flying into buildings.

Private pilot (although haven't flown for 20 odd years), A&P mechanic, airline maintenance planner here. I always tell people flying is very safe, we have never left one up there.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Check around at the various fields and ask if they offer introductory flights which should give you an idea if their instructor is a compatible fit to you before commiting. My inclination would be to initially stay as far away from Metro as possible due to traffic creating wasted ramp time on the Hobb$ meter.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

They moved on to jobs at commercial companies. They now are trying to find a new instructor because theirs just got hired again.

Check around at the various fields and ask if they offer introductory flights which should give you an idea if their instructor is a compatible fit to you before commiting. My inclination would be to initially stay as far away from Metro as possible due to traffic creating wasted ramp time on the Hobb$ meter.

ALL this. Instructors are typically building time for commercial rides. No shame in that. Its just how it goes. Dont let that cloud your judgement.

ESPECIALLY the new/old airplane logic is solid. I learned in a Cessna 152 from the 60s (in the early 90s) It was MUCH nicer to fly the new production 182s at Metro, but honestly, I got the EXACT same training in the 152 for $30/hour less.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    My wife was a flight instructor. I'm glad she doesn't do that anymore as I was always worried about her crashing. I know, I know "it's safe", but I still got nervous. Have fun OP, I hear lots of people enjoy learning to fly..just not me :)

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    injb-
    As was said above, look into doing an introductory flight. This will familiarize you with the instructor and will give you a good start.
    I got my private at Sheridan(5I4), the flight school is ran by Flight Training Centers which does instruction at Kokomo and Westfield also.
    A good book, and the one I used, is Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook. https://www.amazon.com/Rod-Machados-Private-Pilot-Handbook/dp/0963122991
    I liked it because it was not a dry read. Depending on what flight school you go to, they may or may not let you use it, but it is still a good book to have.

Something you may also consider looking into is a Sport Pilots License. There are restrictions compared to a Private License, but one thing a lot of people like is you do not need a FAA Medical(you can use your drivers license to fly a light-sport aircraft) https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/frequently-asked-questions-about-sport-pilot

Oh, and to answer your question as to spreading out the training across different places. I would not do that. You will possibly waste time when jumping to a different instructor in order to "catch up" on where you are in your training schedule. It is best to stick with one instructor. I had my main instructor, and he handed me off to another instructor when I did my instrument training and night flight training, then he took over again when I was finishing up in preparation for my check-ride.

The most important thing: have fun. Flying is an awesome endeavor, even if it is just recreational.
    I mean, besides the shooting sports, where else can you go out for a $100 burger? (I'll let someone else Denny that for you)

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    One thing to consider is that primary flight training is somewhat dependent upon good weather. I took flight training years ago at a place that was about an hour drive from where I lived and ended up making the drive for nothing several times because the weather either changed, was different at the other location, or the flight instructor simply didn't show up for whatever reason. Probably not an issue if you are staying in the Indy area, but something to take into account.

Like you, I was merely in it for the recreation, and although I haven't flown in 25 years I don't regret learning how to do it.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Generally speaking...$8-10k for a PPL. Yes it can be done for cheaper, specifically flying an older airframe and flying regularly to avoid repeated lessons.

Top Bottom