• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was just wondering if any of you could give me advice on a good camera to purchase for my daughter for Christmas? She is kind of a semi-professional...no formal schooling and self taught. She does outdoor photo sessions for people and probably does 40-50 sessions per year. She now uses an older Nikon D3000 and I need to get her a better set-up. Been looking at Canon T6 or T6i or something in that price range. I can get a bundle package for around $600-800....just wondering if anyone here knows of a better deal for similar technology. To be honest, I don't know the difference between a T5 and T6i or D3300 or SLR........other than hundreds of dollars. I just would like to stay under $600-700....but even cheaper would be fine if same specs that matter(which I don't know what is and isn't)

Thanks

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Talk to her and see what she likes to run. If she is used to shooting a nikon, do not buy her a Canon without her telling you that she wants a Canon. She may have quite a bit of money invested in lenses and other accessories that can work with the new camera. Therefore, when it comes to Camera gear, I would forgo the surprise and talk to her and see what she would like. She may be perfectly content with her body and just want a new lens.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Talk to her and see what she likes to run. If she is used to shooting a nikon, do not buy her a Canon without her telling you that she wants a Canon. She may have quite a bit of money invested in lenses and other accessories that can work with the new camera. Therefore, when it comes to Camera gear, I would forgo the surprise and talk to her and see what she would like. She may be perfectly content with her body and just want a new lens.

+1000.

definitely talk with her.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Get a decent full frame camera body, get a quality full frame lens like a 2.8f 24-70, You won't regret it.

I find Nikon button location more ergonomic than canon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The new body is a nice idea. LOTS can be improved with a new body. (Compatible w existing lenses)

DEFINITELY talk to her. Very easy to screw this up.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm going to take you on a different journey

nikon d90 | eBay

of course there's a lot of things to consider but Camera's are very volatile in price and an old model of a great camera goes for nothing on ebay. I shot a D80 for years and did weddings and senior pics and it did a great job, the D90 is a step up.

Now look for some of the good old lenses with glass instead of plastic.

here is a cheap lens that is a good starter
    Nikon Nikkor AF-S 18-70 G ED DX lens for nikon D50/D70/D90 and other cameras | eBay

but look for a F1.8 50mm for face portraits

for up close 17mm-50mm and just go to the nikon website for recomendations.

I like Nikon Just because some of the color technology seems to be richer (thats an opinion)

But my main point is you can get a last generation better camera that will do a great job for less money

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Those are above his mentioned price.

I know. But from experience, any photographer, especially if she's semi pro, they always end up upgrading, which would cost more. The 24-70 is an all around lens when paired with a decent body with good ISO. She will be happy with the results.

She can stay with the D3000 and just upgrade the lens.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Nikon D7100 is in your range, and her lenses will be compatible with it.

Nikon D7100 | DX-Format HDSLR with Built-in HDR, WiFi & More

Yes, I'm partial to Nikon. ;)

DSCN3284w.jpg

Family pic is outdated. D200 has been gone for a few years. Got new D500 last week.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Buy used and buy full frame. Last gen professional cameras are best bang for buck. 1ds mark III if Canon, about 1k used now. Nikon d800e around 1.2k used.

Instead of buying her a camera see if she'd be interested in a one light strobe kit, take it to the next level.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    Hey CHCRandy, Like probably most of us that have commented here, I've got lots of photography experience, 25+ years and I live it everyday, and most of the comments here so far are accurate. It would be helpful to know all the gear (D3000 plus what lenses?) she currently owns, and what she likes about what she has. Then, talk to her and see what her current set up isn't too doing for her that's she wants it to and what types of images she is looking to create that she can't get out of her current gear. That is the most important thing, what is she hoping to get out of her camera? If she's looking for higher res files or more resolution, or faster focusing or frame rate then, new body may be the answer. If she wants the smooth bokeh (out of focus background) for portraits or the ability to focus on the stamen of a flower then a new lens might be in order. If she's looking to improve her lighting techniques a flash / strobe and or reflectors may be the key. Sometimes, like with firearms, training or classes may take her to the next level. Each of these can usually fall within your budget.

Good luck!

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thanks everyone for your input. She don't really have many lenses or stuff for the D3000 other than batteries, charger, and a couple of lenses. She just takes mostly photos outside at different locations using natural backgrounds. I don't honestly think she even knows what filters, lighting and other lenses do to be honest. She is learning but as I said before, she is self taught.....none of my family knows anything about photography. She started doing it as a hobby then started getting requests from people that seen photos she done and wanted her to do them for them. She now does 2-3 shoots a week.

Her main problem is her camera don't focus nearly quick enough for her. She said of an evening as sun is setting it has a hard time focusing because of shadows, sun glare or something like that. She said she thought they make a hood like attachment that may help but she hasn't learned how they work. I have also seen UV filter and other types of filters....not sure how important they are to learn to use.

I noticed her present camera is only like 10 megapixel and I noticed a lot of the others are 24.....does this make a big difference when doing family photos or is it more important for super close ups?

Again, thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    I have also seen UV filter and other types of filters....not sure how important they are to learn to use.

Only filters that are applicable in digital are polarizers, gradient NDs and NDs for strobe. So no need for filters if she is shooting natural light.

Top Bottom