• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Growing up in a small town in Michigan I maaaayyyyy have know a kid or two who had brake light cut off switches on their cars.

GunsRCool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I think it's unclear about a kill switch. You can turn off brake lights by not hitting the brake pedal. Turn off headlights with a switch.
    He should have just pulled over and paid his tax to the gov't for driving too fast.
    Most kids I used to know into fast/custom cars were good kids. Too busy buying stuff for and working on their cars to get in much trouble.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I think it's unclear about a kill switch. You can turn off brake lights by not hitting the brake pedal.
    Not sure if they still have them, but when I worked for Bloomington PD all of the patrol cars had a brake light kill switch. We used them at night when responding to alarms and potentially hazardous runs. Its not clear if he actually had one, but they exist.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I had 2 kill switches on my 64 Bonneville, one on the running lights and one on the brake lights. Won't elaborate on the purpose, but no one could tell where I went from behind me.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Not sure if they still have them, but when I worked for Bloomington PD all of the patrol cars had a brake light kill switch. We used them at night when responding to alarms and potentially hazardous runs. Its not clear if he actually had one, but they exist.

And have been around for a long time....I had a new 1979 Pontiac TransAm that may or may not have had a switch installed....It was really simple.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Back around 1960, my father was a state trooper. Back at that time you didn't have radar so you had to clock people by running behind them. He had switches on individual headlights so even if they passed each other, he could turn around, kill one light, and catch up to them and clock them. Sneaky! :)

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County

When people are speeding and meet a squad car they look for brake lights to see if there will be a chase and react accordingly. Gives an officer a chance to turn around and catch up before the speeder starts to run.

Potential liability from accidents caused by no brake lights makes this frowned upon today.

TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I think it's unclear about a kill switch. You can turn off brake lights by not hitting the brake pedal. Turn off headlights with a switch.
    He should have just pulled over and paid his tax to the gov't for driving too fast.
    Most kids I used to know into fast/custom cars were good kids. Too busy buying stuff for and working on their cars to get in much trouble.

Because that would turn out well.....

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I think I could crack 200 in my Talon given the right track conditions. It's been 160 with plenty left. My car isn't near as powerful as some friends of mine. One buddy may have had a UGR TT Lambo that may have had ~1700 HP. It may have cracked 220mph on a certain loop of road around Indy. But that's just a rumor. :whistle:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My black-primered 1968 GTO may or may not have had a switch that killed every light but the headlights.

Radio waves travel at just under 186,000 miles per second.

You don't have to outrun the radio. You just have to outrun the eyesight of the guy talking on it before he can really get a good look at you.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've had multiple cars that went well over 200mph. In the 1/4 mile no less and were streetable.
    Street racing was a little different. Exhaust hooked up and different rear tires.
    Headlights optional at the switch, brake lights had a cut out switch.
    I don't have the balls for that kind of speed anymore. .

Top Bottom