• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    To give a little background, I am 45 years old. I have had the same job since I was 18 (3 days after graduating HS). It is the only "full time" job I have every had. I didn't even apply for it, I got a call and was asked if I wanted to work there.

The day before Thanksgiving we had a meeting and it wasn't pleasant to say the least. Talk of layoffs, downsizing etc. Well the Thursday before Christmas we got the same news with a most likely of 2 or 3 guys going in the first month of the year if things don't pick up. Not to mention that earlier this year we were stripped of our not so good health insurance. Thank God my wife's employer offers insurance.

I decided about 2 weeks ago to do something I have always wanted to do and that was drive a truck. I got my CDL B learners permit and have been driving my StepBrother's straight truck with my Dad as my teacher as often as I can.

Today was the first time in my life I created a resume and filled out a job application.

I cannot explain the nervousness I feel at this moment.

When you guys decided make a career change did you also feel this way? What were some of the reasons for your career change?

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    First of all, I want to wish you all the luck in the world. Secondly, if I were considering you as an applicant,the fact that you were at the same place of employment for that length of time would be significant to me. I have been an employee and a business owner over the years. While I was an employee, I saw many people come and go. I think you could probably say the same,given your long term employment. As a business owner, I have had many conversations with other business owners about the difficulties of finding people that can be relied upon to show up to do the job every day. Even though I have not met you, I think you would be someone that I would hire cold on the first meeting. The CDL is a great move. Any training you can add will make you a shoe-in as a new hire in my opinion. Again, best wishes and good luck.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You got this. Change is scary. Even to a grown up. (Protip: NEVER grow up) Like you Ive worked the same job a LOOONG time, after it fell in my lap. I cant imagine doing the resume thing.

You'll be in my prayers.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    After 12 years in the RV industry, I got tired of it and finally left (when the company closed their doors.)

I got my CDL. After a few different driving jobs over 2 years, I landed with my current company. I don't plan on leaving. Yes it was scary. Never pulled hazmat or tanker before. But after a few weeks, it was great.

Best of luck to you.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have made 3 big career changes in my life time. Four if you include working for myself. I was really scared the first time. I had been at the one job 13 1/2 years. I was scared to death. But change was good for me. No regrets.

Ask yourself if you can see yourself being happy doing the same thing in 10 years. If the answer is yes, go for it!

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I can't help but think it's healthy to have a change of career every once in a while. Then again I don't have the same obligations and responsibilities. From what I've seen lifelong careers are becoming fewer and fewer. You have experience on your side though, being willing to learn something new should make a new career easy to come by.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I did pretty much the same thing you are doing. I was a carpenter for 20+ years then decided to get my cdl b. I worked for a company that did both and ended up taking a job driving a mixer for irving. Love the new job. Hours in the summer are crazy but it's a driving job and I'm still kind of building stuff, which is my passion.

I love it. Better pay better benefits.

They are always looking for good drivers too.

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    I'm right there with you. I turned my two weeks in last week for a job I've had for 13 years. Start my new job in January, hope I made the right choice. My old place is making me great offers to stay but my gut tells me I'm making the right move. It's still scary!

You will be fine, trucking is a great field right now. Companies are fighting over the short supply of qualified drivers.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I've been in my current job for 9+ years. It seems strange at times since in the previous 21 years I was at 9 different bases and had 15 different jobs in two career fields. This was normal in the USAF so you're surrounded by people who've done it before too. Retiring was scary, particularly the "where are we going to end up living" part.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I was at my job 9 years before making a move. I loved my job but ended up hating the company I was working for. Had to take a big pay cut at first but after 8 months at the new company I'm back to the pay I was after 9 years at the other place. Plus better benefits and a better overall company. Best of luck to you, and keep your eyes on the prize.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Just some advice ..... take it for what it is worth .....

Get a job, stay there a couple years .....

Apply at places like Republic, YES, be a Trash truck driver .....

I talked to a guy, a few years back, and the young people they hire,

DON"T want to work ..... so there is always OVERTIME .....

He told me, he makes around $70,000 per year .....

Wish I would have jumped ship .....

But my back would NOT let me .....

Good luck .....

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Wanting to make a change after 27 years of employment is scary.
    I hope you're taking whatever retirement package they offer with you.

I know it sounds a little existential, but make sure you want this change.
    Changing because you have to and not because you want to is what they call "Bad Faith."

I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I was at my job 9 years before making a move. I loved my job but ended up hating the company I was working for. Had to take a big pay cut at first but after 8 months at the new company I'm back to the pay I was after 9 years at the other place. Plus better benefits and a better overall company. Best of luck to you, and keep your eyes on the prize.

I am getting to that point of not liking the company I work for. But it is a small manufacturing shop and everyone either went to school together or are related to someone working there. The company has been on the decline for the last 3 years and I am not going to sit around and wait for my name to be called next. Plus I LOVE to drive.

Wanting to make a change after 27 years of employment is scary.
    I hope you're taking whatever retirement package they offer with you.

I know it sounds a little existential, but make sure you want this change.
    Changing because you have to and not because you want to is what they call "Bad Faith."

I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one.

I get to take my retirement with me. Or I can keep it intact and continue to contribute to it. I will be talking to my financial advisor about that. I am changing because I want to. I want more than 40 hours a week. I don't do well with idle time.

Plenty of Truck Driving Jobs out there. If you want to Drive Semi's there's Companies that will Train you. Good Luck on your new Quest!

I looked into those jobs. Most of them are OTR jobs and I don't want to do that. I would like to get a job at OD, Dayton Freight, or UPS Freight. Local pick up and delivery type work.

Reading all your stories about what you guys have done makes me less nervous about it for sure. Thanks for all the positive advice and encouragement. -Jason

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I get to take my retirement with me. Or I can keep it intact and continue to contribute to it. I will be talking to my financial advisor about that. I am changing because I want to. I want more than 40 hours a week. I don't do well with idle time.
    -Jason

Respect, Homie

Do your thing.

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Changed a few careers. Made moves in companies that were less secure. It has all worked for me. The more you do it the more you learn you can take almost anything on and make it work.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've changed careers once and jobs twice since working in my current career. The last job change was after working at the same place for over 16 years. Yes, it was scary. Yes, it was the right move. No doubt.

Change, when carefully considered, is almost always good in the end (there have been studies).

I wish you well. I bet you'll do great.

Top Bottom