• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsRCool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I would like to get opinions on why the posse comitatus act does not effect our law enforcement officers. The reason for my question is our current police forces operate as a military force. They use military tactics, military equipment, military weapons, training, armor. They are only not military by name.
    With enforcement the way it is now many are starting to take issue with police, I will admit myself included. I know as well as everybody else it is not an issue of racism, it is an issue of a militarized police force that enforces laws that do not apply to them.

I'm fully expecting to be bashed by officers here but please keep it civil.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I believe the Posse Comitatus Act only pertains to federal personnel. Being such it does not include states and laws within their borders. I may be wrong but that is what I have always thought. Please correct me if I am wrong. Although I do agree with you on the matter of militarized LEO departments. There are pros and cons, which I would love to hear.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I would like to get opinions on why the posse comitatus act does not effect our law enforcement officers. The reason for my question is our current police forces operate as a military force. They use military tactics, military equipment, military weapons, training, armor. They are only not military by name.
    With enforcement the way it is now many are starting to take issue with police, I will admit myself included. I know as well as everybody else it is not an issue of racism, it is an issue of a militarized police force that enforces laws that do not apply to them.

I'm fully expecting to be bashed by officers here but please keep it civil.

Please come to my house and coonfinger all of my equipment and tell me which of it is "military." You can also peruse my training records and point out what was taught by military personnel. I'll show you all of the vehicles owned by IMPD and you can tell me which ones were built for military use.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Before the bandwagon gets too full.... If you new to the forum gentlemen would like to read up on this issue it was discussed and discussed and discussed years ago here on the forum. I dare to say the issue has been resolved to the relative satisfaction of most of the members who have been around for awhile. Hopefully you can use the search function and it will take you back that far. I won't be rehashing the issue here again.

GunsRCool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Please come to my house and coonfinger all of my equipment and tell me which of it is "military." You can also peruse my training records and point out what was taught by military personnel. I'll show you all of the vehicles owned by IMPD and you can tell me which ones were built for military use.

I would love to. When and where?

I have a feeling that was a false invite. I would say firearm wise any weapon the police own that I'm not allowed to. I'd take it a step farther and say any firearm or accessory I can't own without jumping through a million hoops. Armored vehicles, full body armor, grenades.
    Then we could move on to swat, no knock warrants, a force that investigates itself, basically answers to themselves.

I used the search and couldn't find anything so I apoligize for rehashing but if it was a few years ago it should be worth rehashing.
    I would certainly hope no need arises to lock the thread. We are all adults here.

GunsRCool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Because it is a federal statute which explicitly applies only to the Army, Navy, Air Force etc.? I know this may be a strange concept, but statutes generally define their own terms explicitly.

correct me if I'm wrong but technically it only applies to the Army and Navy. It has been used in broader context to prevent military from operating against US citizens.
    This one was not defined explicitly.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I would love to. When and where?

I have a feeling that was a false invite. I would say firearm wise any weapon the police own that I'm not allowed to. I'd take it a step farther and say any firearm or accessory I can't own without jumping through a million hoops. Armored vehicles, full body armor, grenades.
    Then we could move on to swat, no knock warrants, a force that investigates itself, basically answers to themselves.

I used the search and couldn't find anything so I apoligize for rehashing but if it was a few years ago it should be worth rehashing.
    I would certainly hope no need arises to lock the thread. We are all adults here.

I have a Glock 22, a Remington 870, and a Bushmaster AR-15. Which one can't you own?

I'd be glad to let you look at everything, but you need to drop the attitude first.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Banned as shill of previously banned member. Was using an IP mask to hide his identity. I used my military equipment to figure that out :rolleyes:

Top Bottom