• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Has anyone else noticed that all the TV advertised charities ALL seem to have come up with the same figure needed to help them do their good work. Don't get me wrong on this... They are all worthy of donation, but they all want just $19.00 a month to save a child from cancer or starvation or to do good work for Vet organizations. Amazingly the ASPCA only is asking for $18.00 a month for their work. (Guess they felt humanity needed the higher rung on the ladder). Where does this figure come from? I'm sure they would take what ever we were to give but does this "just pennies a day " number have some kind of significance? Could it be like the pricing on an item being $19.99 instead of $20 even, has been proven in studies to actually help the sale of items? I noticed that a lot are making their pitches for the end of the year.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It probably came from a $14 million dollar, government funded study conducted by the University of Wasted Tax Funds (known as WTFU?).

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Based on a 2012 WFP study/article, but here are some figures I've found:
    1. For example, it costs just $10 USD to feed a boy in Kenya’s refugee camps for 3 week
    2. It costs only $50 USD to feed a school-aged girl for an entire year in many developing nations.
    3. It costs only 20 cents to feed one child a nutrient-rich serving of Plumpy’Sup®, a nutritional food supplement.
    Source: Fighting Hunger

Here's some of the products they use for food in developing countries (long storage life, high nutriet value, inexpensive...):
    https://www.wfp.org/nutrition/special-nutritional-products (Some have prices listed).

As for the dollar amount/month, I imagine that is part marketing and part economic studies. Pennies per day sounds like a lot less than saying almost $1/day. I don't have any sources for how they came up with their prices. For aid organizations, you can see what % of your donation goes to execs/overhead, which may shed more light on the amount needed/month.

I'd be interested to read any other sources and thoughts.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would only donate if there were a MANDATORY sterilization of recipients. Not enough food=too many people. Yes I'm cold hearted.
    ...or supply chain mismanagement.

There's any number of reasons for hunger, be they acts of God or acts of man, and ranging the the length of time.

So...Americans everywhere get assistance for food - WIC, food stamps, food banks at your local church, etc. Should they all be sterilized? Should all Americans be sterilized since some get food?

I think you're attitude is the reason that group put out the video that I posted. All those exploitative commercials with the old guy with the white beard holding the malnourished, naked, fly-covered "African"* have given us this impression that all people in the entire continent in Africa are just sitting around with distended bellies and waiting for white people to come and feed them.

* We're never really told what his nationality is - just a generic African.

Top Bottom