• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Kohl's frequently has a promotion where you get $10 "Kohl's Cash" for every $50 you spend. There is a bit of a catch in that it normally doesn't take effect until the following week. I hate that, but I understand it's to get you back in the store, or back to the website, whatever. But that's not what I'm griping about. From my Christmas shopping, I'd earned $50 in Kohl's Cash, and it became "good" this week. I needed a new pair of sneakers, so I went online and found the ones I usually get. They weren't available at either of my nearby stores so I decided to just go ahead and order them. They had a coupon code for 15% off, and shipping was free for any orders over $50. So I'm thinking, cool!

My shoes were on sale :rolleyes: for $64.99. So at 15% off (9.75), they came to $55.24 plus tax, or 59.11 total. Sweet! They still qualify for free shipping, and with my $50 Kohl's Cash, I figured they'd only cost me 9 bucks and change, right? Oh NO... I put in my code number and PIN for the Kohl's Cash, and the total came to $23.21. What?? Is this that core math I'd heard about??

Well, instead of working like cash as the name implies (it has CASH right there in the name), here is the way it worked.

Shoes - $64.99
    Minus Kohl's Cash - $50.00
    Minus 15% - $2.25 (What the heck happened to my 9.75??)
    Sub Total = $12.74 (So now, shipping is no longer free!)
    Shipping - $8.95
    Tax - $1.52
    Total = $23.21

So, my $50 Kohl's "Cash" wasn't really $50, it was really only $35.90, and my 15% off was only 2.25 instead of 9.75. :xmad: Now don't get me wrong, I was still pretty happy with the overall price, but what gripes me is that it is misleading the way they apply their "cash" to the transaction. To my way of thinking, if you're going to call something "cash", then it should behave just like cash. If it had been a $50 gift card for example, then I would have gotten $50 off the total, after any discounts and shipping (if applicable) were applied. They wouldn't have gone back and applied it after the fact, reducing the discount and (now) adding shipping charges.

:soapbox:

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I don't know how they keep up with all their coupons, coupons on top of more coupons, percentages off, and other sale promotions? My wife plays their game, but it just gives me a headache lol. Despite you having to pay more than anticipated, I'd say you still got a good deal. It's hard to find a decent pair of shoes under $50.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    My wife is involved in their shenanigans too. They do have some good deals on some stuff tho. We got one of those Nija kitchen appliances for like $40 out of pocket, regular price was like $220.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My spouse "Lives" for Kohls cash.

My mom works for Kohl's and runs the jewelry counter...My wife, as well, lives for Kohl's cash...Sometimes my mom and wife have the perfect moment when a piece of jewelry gets marked way down and there's an influx of Kohl's cash, along with an employee discount...When that happens my mama's happy, my wife's happy, and that in turn makes me happy...:)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Could you have had them delivered to the store and avoided the shipping? Yeah, it's not as convenient but convenience is never free and you were apparently willing to go to the store in the first place.

Kohl's frequently has a promotion where you get $10 "Kohl's Cash" for every $50 you spend. There is a bit of a catch in that it normally doesn't take effect until the following week. I hate that, but I understand it's to get you back in the store, or back to the website, whatever. But that's not what I'm griping about. From my Christmas shopping, I'd earned $50 in Kohl's Cash, and it became "good" this week. I needed a new pair of sneakers, so I went online and found the ones I usually get. They weren't available at either of my nearby stores so I decided to just go ahead and order them. They had a coupon code for 15% off, and shipping was free for any orders over $50. So I'm thinking, cool!

My shoes were on sale :rolleyes: for $64.99. So at 15% off (9.75), they came to $55.24 plus tax, or 59.11 total. Sweet! They still qualify for free shipping, and with my $50 Kohl's Cash, I figured they'd only cost me 9 bucks and change, right? Oh NO... I put in my code number and PIN for the Kohl's Cash, and the total came to $23.21. What?? Is this that core math I'd heard about??

Well, instead of working like cash as the name implies (it has CASH right there in the name), here is the way it worked.

Shoes - $64.99
    Minus Kohl's Cash - $50.00
    Minus 15% - $2.25 (What the heck happened to my 9.75??)
    Sub Total = $12.74 (So now, shipping is no longer free!)
    Shipping - $8.95
    Tax - $1.52
    Total = $23.21

So, my $50 Kohl's "Cash" wasn't really $50, it was really only $35.90, and my 15% off was only 2.25 instead of 9.75. :xmad: Now don't get me wrong, I was still pretty happy with the overall price, but what gripes me is that it is misleading the way they apply their "cash" to the transaction. To my way of thinking, if you're going to call something "cash", then it should behave just like cash. If it had been a $50 gift card for example, then I would have gotten $50 off the total, after any discounts and shipping (if applicable) were applied. They wouldn't have gone back and applied it after the fact, reducing the discount and (now) adding shipping charges.

:soapbox:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know how they keep up with all their coupons, coupons on top of more coupons, percentages off, and other sale promotions? My wife plays their game, but it just gives me a headache lol. Despite you having to pay more than anticipated, I'd say you still got a good deal. It's hard to find a decent pair of shoes under $50.

Oh yeah, it was still a good deal, but it could have been a lot better! :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Could you have had them delivered to the store and avoided the shipping? Yeah, it's not as convenient but convenience is never free and you were apparently willing to go to the store in the first place.

That's what I was actually hoping for, but I didn't see it offered. I'm only about 10 or 15 minutes from either store, so I'd have been happy to do that. Apparently you can order online and pick it up in the store, but only if the store already has the item in stock.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My mom works for Kohl's and runs the jewelry counter...My wife, as well, lives for Kohl's cash...Sometimes my mom and wife have the perfect moment when a piece of jewelry gets marked way down and there's an influx of Kohl's cash, along with an employee discount...When that happens my mama's happy, my wife's happy, and that in turn makes me happy...:)

Well, I earned the Kohl's Cash while buying some of DoggyMama's Christmas presents, and she was happy. :)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    That's what I was actually hoping for, but I didn't see it offered. I'm only about 10 or 15 minutes from either store, so I'd have been happy to do that. Apparently you can order online and pick it up in the store, but only if the store already has the item in stock.

I can't believe they had these in your size....That's cool Doggydady, they will look great with your Derby hat!!!! "Sneakers" LOL...Good one....:)
    images

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    gvbndgf
    My spouse "Lives" for Kohls cash.

a
    mine used to work there. It was terrible. She still doesnt agree that she didnt "save" any money even with her employee discount plus kohl cash plus whatever. She bought a bunch of crap we didnt need only because she got good deals on them. Yes, she did get awesome deals, but she didnt save any money

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    a
    mine used to work there. It was terrible. She still doesnt agree that she didnt "save" any money even with her employee discount plus kohl cash plus whatever. She bought a bunch of crap we didnt need only because she got good deals on them. Yes, she did get awesome deals, but she didnt save any money

That's the difference between men and women. A woman will buy something that's on sale whether she needs it or not. A man will buy something he needs whether it's on sale or not. ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yeah Kohls sucks. They price stuff super high so they can mark it down. The clothes are cheap and fall apart quickly.

But, it is clearly stated on the Kohls cash coupon itself...

Your Kohl's Cash will be applied to your purchase before any percent-off discounts for the total purchase.

Top Bottom