Brass knuckles.Anyone carrying or collecting them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So apparently brass knuckles are legal to own and carry in Indiana. :patriot:
    I was wondering if any of you carry them or just collect them.

Some look pretty fancy and/or have historical value.

1864-New-York-Copper-Knuckl.jpg

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I like the ones in your pic.
    had a set taken away from me years ago, must have been illegal at some point.
    i might or might not have a couple sets now.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

They were legal when I went through the police academy in '06. I don't know for sure about before that, but I believe they've always been legal to merely possess.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have several different brass "bottle openers" that may or may not fit a knuckle or two? TSA rarely gives'em a second look.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have a couple sets. One pair i made from a chunk wrought iron wagon tire. I dont carry them they are really just something else to collect dust.

A guy i was in criminal justice with had 2 sets taken away among other things by an over zealous reserve. took forever to get them back.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Dad had a set made for him by a friend, out of stainless steel bar stock, back in the 60's. Similar to the picture below.

FullSizeRender-21-6.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I believe they're now 100% legal.Not like in some states where they have to be sold as "paperweight" or "belt buckles".

503122_02_stainless_steel_brass_knuckles_640.jpg

No idea how this one could be used as a belt buckle though. :dunno:

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I've got a pair of brass knuckles, but I've never carried them. My dad works security and held them at his station with the metal detector for someone who allegedly forgot they had them in their bag, but the person never came back to pick them up so he gave them to me years ago. I have many, many pocket knives that I have acquired the same way.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I believe they're now 100% legal.Not like in some states where they have to be sold as "paperweight" or "belt buckles".

No idea how this one could be used as a belt buckle though. :dunno:

Labeling something as a paperweight or belt buckle doesn't change the nature of the item. I'd not want to have the "paperweight" in my pocket during a pat down in, say, Michigan, where I believe they are still illegal.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Bbi?
    do you remember if they were illegal back in the 80's?
    are they considered a concealed weapon or does it even matter?

I was just a kid in the 80's. I do remember you get them through paper catalogs in the 90s, usually those outlandish things with the spiked knuckles and a folding blade.

If you mean are they a concealed weapon in the sense of needing a license, no. If you were to use them, though, they would certainly be considered a weapon when it came to enhancements to the crime. Battery goes from a mid-level misdemeanor up to a major felony, with many steps in between, based on the level of injury inflicted and the instrument used.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Labeling something as a paperweight or belt buckle doesn't change the nature of the item. I'd not want to have the "paperweight" in my pocket during a pat down in, say, Michigan, where I believe they are still illegal.

I know.I believe it's mostly for importation purpose.It's probably easier to import "paperweights" from China that if they were labeled as weapons.
    Also in the states were it's illegal to carry I think it's still legal to own them, so having it sold as a "paperweight" would imply it's something intended to stay on your desk in your home, and not be carried in your pocket.

It really depends on how the law is written as well.I know in Canada they are illegal if many of any metal, but legal if made of plastic.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I have a couple of pairs of knuckles and I'll carry them every now and then. However, I insist on many of the females in the family to carry the "cat ears" type of knuckles with them as a means of self defense. (If they don't carry guns.)

Top Bottom