• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    So we had a gas fireplace installed 2 years ago to supplement out heating and have a source of heat in case we lose electric out here in the sticks of Boone County. Wife ran it last night to make the house toasty when I came home. Went to turn it on this morning and the pilot light is out. Got out and flip to the reserve tank (we run it off of 100lb tanks) even though the tank it was on was still ~half full.

Cannot get the pilot to light. I've tried turning the valve off and on here inside and the one outside as well. Can't seem to get any flow.

Suggestions? Any INGO'rs know gas/fireplaces?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I'm not a pro in this area but I'd guess it's only got a few parts that would cause this. Thermocouple, or an electronic valve that opens the gas flow would be 2 areas I'd be looking for. It can't be much different than a water heater I wouldn't think.

Google up a manual for the unit and check the troubleshooting section. It should point you to a starting point of things to check.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Can you get to the pilot with a brush of some kind?

Maybe try a nice stiff toothbrush and really work on cleaning it to see if that doesn't help.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A 2 year old gas insert has a standing pilot and not electronic ignition? I thought standing pilots went extinct a long time ago.

Other than what has been suggested (thermocouple, valve) I've got nothing.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Try this...Just trust me...Get one of these......
    144170.jpg

and then then aim it down at the pilot light and blow the @##@ out of it....

Then turn it back on...It'll be fine...We have to do that oh...About every two years...Give it a try...

Last edited:

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    Try this...Just trust me...Get one of these...
    144170.jpg
    and then aim it down at the pilot light and blow the @##@ out of it....

Then turn it back on...It'll be fine...We have to do that oh...About every two years...Give it a try...

I'll second this. I just dealt with the same problem on my gas fireplace, although I used a shop vac to clean the pilot, thermocouple and other doo-hickies. Works fine now.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'll second this. I just dealt with the same problem on my gas fireplace, although I used a shop vac to clean the pilot, thermocouple and other doo-hickies. Works fine now.

Yep...At four years we had to do the vac treatment..Just removed the logs, vacuumed the heck out of it, put everything back in place and fired her up...It's AMAZING how much of a dust magnet these things are...

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'll stick with wood.
    Except it's dirty, smoke gets everywhere and you can't just turn it on for an hour to take the chill off. Granted, at theis moment neither can I. Lol. We considered going that route but cost and insurance were two pretty large obstacle compared to gas. This is still 36.000 btus and can hear most of the house by itself.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are you doing all the necessary steps to light the pilot. Valve set to pilot, whatever bypass pushed in to allow the gas to flow.

There is no action taken by the T-couple or power pile (mine has both) until the flame is lit and the parts get hot. That is when they generate the current to hold the bypass open when you release it. If the flame goes out (after you hold it for at least a full minute) then you have an issue with these parts.

There is a plunger of some kind (Red button or the selector knob) that has to be depressed to allow the gas flow and pilot to light.

Take a pic of the valve and either send it to me or post it up.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Are you doing all the necessary steps to light the pilot. Valve set to pilot, whatever bypass pushed in to allow the gas to flow.

There is no action taken by the T-couple or power pile (mine has both) until the flame is lit and the parts get hot. That is when they generate the current to hold the bypass open when you release it. If the flame goes out (after you hold it for at least a full minute) then you have an issue with these parts.

There is a plunger of some kind (Red button or the selector knob) that has to be depressed to allow the gas flow and pilot to light.

Take a pic of the valve and either send it to me or post it up.

This. Of course, CM knows this stuff.

Fire is easy.
    Gas (fuel)
    Air
    Ignition.

In the case of a thermocouple safety, it will cut the gas off, unless you've allowed it to heat up.
    Gas line can become plugged with spider webs.
    Gas/Air mixing chamber can become plugged with spider webs/soot/dirt/rust.
    Sometimes, the gas line can fill with air, meaning you have to bleed a bit of the gas through the line before you'll get flame. Because you're just getting air to mix with air.

Top Bottom