• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    Just a quick opinion question. As the club membership president I am trying to balance a delicate problem, you input is requested. Range rentals keep the place afloat at $150 for the day, my problem is how many days per month is acceptable? I am striving for 2 weekend days per month with no consecutive weekends. Is this unreasonable? Am I looking at dollar signs vs member availability. Week days will not count as most weekdays the range is unused and if a rental is requested it will be granted. Would you as a range member accept this policy? Keep in mind membership is a $20 per year fee an that will not cover expenses.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Can you rephrase the question? It sounds like you run a range. The range has a membership fee. On top of the membership fee, you charge $150 a day to use the range. You're wanting to know if you should limit the weekend range use to individual members to two weekend days a month. Is that correct?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I read it as they rent the range for private events at $150/day, but could be wrong.

That's how I read it too.

$20/year is nutso low. Don't know what kind of amenities/shooting options are available, but you could triple membership dues and still be significantly lower than most ranges.

If I only shot on weekends (as you said, weekdays it's unused), and half the weekends the range was closed for private events, I'd find another range.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    to clarify the range is open to paid membership 7 days per week . We offer a private day at 150 per day . 2 days per month maximum (weekends only) to be reserved for private classes or group shoots that request an un- used range . These 2 days per month are the life blood of keeping us afloat. Thus if some one were to want to teach a class and there had already been 2 classes or private shoots scheduled we would require a reschedule at a different date. membership is limited to 150 members or march 31 which ever occurs first.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    That's how I read it too.

$20/year is nutso low. Don't know what kind of amenities/shooting options are available, but you could triple membership dues and still be significantly lower than most ranges.

If I only shot on weekends (as you said, weekdays it's unused), and half the weekends the range was closed for private events, I'd find another range.

100 yard max distance trap range open to all fire arms with no exploding targets or glass targets. no range personnel on site combo gate to allow entranc3

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm with Chez. I would go someplace else if I was unable to use the range for two weekend days per month.

I would rather pay more for my membership. If your current annual membership is around $3000 per year. You rent twice per month you would take in $3,600 in rental fees if you rented in the winter cold months, I'm thinking you don't.

If you went up to $40 you could be at the same revenue level.
    If you go to $60 and let the members know you are going to make some improvements it will be an easier sell.

One of the ranges I belong to does a Smoker every year. It is a big source of revenue and a good event for current members as well as introduce new people to the range.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Increase the annual dues. Heck a good range membership around here is 5 times that money.
    Thing is, the range I belong to is constantly closed for events/classes. Pi$$es me off sometimes as the web page never seems to be updated.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Increase the annual dues. Heck a good range membership around here is 5 times that money.
    Thing is, the range I belong to is constantly closed for events/classes. Pi$$es me off sometimes as the web page never seems to be updated.

This. Nothing worse than finding a time for a large group to meet at the range for a group shoot only to find something tossed on the range calendar a week before that date which closes down the entire range. No recourse, just suck it up and let everyone know you have to cancel. I guarantee you that you will lose membership over that kind of thing. As everyone has stated, range fees going up to keep the range afloat is much better than closing off the range to paying members. Especially if the members know that the increased dues will make it so that there are no days that the range is closed to members. Just my :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This. Nothing worse than finding a time for a large group to meet at the range for a group shoot only to find something tossed on the range calendar a week before that date which closes down the entire range. No recourse, just suck it up and let everyone know you have to cancel. I guarantee you that you will lose membership over that kind of thing. As everyone has stated, range fees going up to keep the range afloat is much better than closing off the range to paying members. Especially if the members know that the increased dues will make it so that there are no days that the range is closed to members. Just my :twocents:

I really have little to no issues with the range hosting a Revers Riders/apple seed. Competition shoots etc just keep the calendar updated so we can make plans around those events.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I really have little to no issues with the range hosting a Revers Riders/apple seed. Competition shoots etc just keep the calendar updated so we can make plans around those events.

I agree, I was referring to those events being held too often or with too little notice. I have no issue with training happening from time to time, but I'm paying dues in order to be able to use the range, not look at a booked up calendar ;)

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    to clarify the range is open to paid membership 7 days per week . We offer a private day at 150 per day . 2 days per month maximum (weekends only) to be reserved for private classes or group shoots that request an un- used range . These 2 days per month are the life blood of keeping us afloat. Thus if some one were to want to teach a class and there had already been 2 classes or private shoots scheduled we would require a reschedule at a different date. membership is limited to 150 members or march 31 which ever occurs first.

Raise your dues to $30 per year for this year, $40 next year and increase membership to 200. Problem solved. :twocents:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I pay 100.00 a year (it went up this year from 75.00)
    I have to be in the nra
    I have to do 1 work day a year or pay a 70.00 fine

our dues went up this year, and based on the local indoor ranges (one charges 15.00 a day, and the other charges 16.00 an hour) its a no brainer

you say 20.00 a year wont keep up with expenses, and you are implying that 3600 will cover the difference, in all honesty the best bet would be to take the 3600.00 difference and divide it up amongst the club members(increase dues), problem solved! double the membership fee to 40.00,based on 100 members, that'll cover the difference

or make it 40.00 for everyone, and use the rest to improve the range (i.e. expand, that way you can add more members)

Top Bottom