• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Was looking forward to some sledding this winter with my one year old daughter, now I will be happy for spring. The week before Christmas she got a viral infection which transferred to my wife. Somehow I avoided it. We were stuck in the house for a week with that one. Now my daughter has cough/congestion again and my wife has a stomach bug and we are stuck inside the house again (except for me going to work). Can't wait until spring for warmer weather to get a bike trailer and go on bike rides.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Kids are plague bearers. I don't ever remember being as consistently sick as I was when my younger daughter started daycare. After a while you tend to build up an immunity to most of it.

We love winter around here. Kind of bummed that there hasn't been more snow.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I lick my kids to make sure I get exposed to everything an build my immune system.

None of them like it, but the young ones put up with it. The 19 /1/2 year old boy punched me. The 17 year old girl pepper sprayed me and called the cops.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    It is very scary when your young child actualy gets admitted to the hospital due to a virus.

A year ago today we were on night two or three with a six day old in the hospital, in an incubator, with an IV, and on bililights after being home for just four days. I was so scared to even hold her until near the end of the stay.

1929332_10153704828406001_4365877125533469068_n.jpg

At least she is cute even when she is sick back then.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Glad everything worked out for the best! Believe me it gets better. They are definitely fragile when they are small, but its awesome when they get a little bigger. My youngest is 9 and they spend the day on the sled hill and crash hard when we get home. I remember when they were your daughters size only letting go 1/2 way down the hill... Great stuff. Enjoy.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    my son went to a nice daycare and was so sick all the time, nothing but kids bringing viruses in the door. Made a huge switch and it fixed the problem. I did notice after Christmas break with every kid traveling that it brought in everything from all across the US.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    A year ago today we were on night two or three with a six day old in the hospital, in an incubator, with an IV, and on bililights after being home for just four days. I was so scared to even hold her until near the end of the stay.

1929332_10153704828406001_4365877125533469068_n.jpg

At least she is cute even when she is sick back then.

Thats a scary event for sure especially after getting home. Glad to see she is healthy after that. What a cutie!

Any Idea how she got sick as we are new parents. Just an airborn thing or possibly picked up from the hospital?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    my son went to a nice daycare and was so sick all the time, nothing but kids bringing viruses in the door. Made a huge switch and it fixed the problem. I did notice after Christmas break with every kid traveling that it brought in everything from all across the US.

She does not go to daycare, Grandpa does daycare at our house or his. That is not saying that work germs from mom or Grandma make it home (both are nurses at a hospital).

Thats a scary event for sure especially after getting home. Glad to see she is healthy after that. What a cutie!

Any Idea how she got sick as we are new parents. Just an airborn thing or possibly picked up from the hospital?

She was jaundice in this picture, her body was not getting rid of the bilirubin like it should (pooping). Normal bilirubin level is 12 or below, she was 17 two days after we were released and 21 the day we were admitted. Because she was jaundice, she was very tired. She didn't nurse well at all. Because of that, she lost weight (from 5 11 to 4 14) and had a low body temp. Once we found out she wasn't eating well enough, she went on formula as a additive, this caused her to eventuality nurse better. The bili lights (blue lights) helped her body get rid of the bilirubin (pooping) and the incubator kept her warm enough. don't know how old your little one is, but if it is nursed and are worried about not eating enough, check with your hospital or get a scale like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Bathroom-Platform-Technology-Capacity/dp/B00IZ6LH5I

Weigh before nursing and then after, the difference is how much they ate. This scale will not be as accurate as a hospital scale, but gives you an idea. If you think something is wrong with your baby, don't be afraid to call the doctors office (try hard not to be that first time parent who calls for everything though :) )

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My son's liver wasn't fully functioning when he was born. A visiting nurse noticed it during her first visit. The bilirubin light did the trick.
    The sucky part was taking a week old baby in for blood draws every day for a week.

I felt far more worse than he did I'm sure.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    We did weekly trips for heel pricks for a month or so, they also did a normal blood work work up once and the lab tech was trying to figure out how to get blood from a less then week old baby. Even when she got her yearly lab work back in October, it was hard for us.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I lick my kids to make sure I get exposed to everything an build my immune system.

None of them like it, but the young ones put up with it. The 19 /1/2 year old boy punched me. The 17 year old girl pepper sprayed me and called the cops.

I just drew a lot of attention to myself at work with my uncontrollable laughing. Worth it.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Yup. Wife and I are trying to get over a stomach bug that our 4 year old gifted to us. Daughter was sick for 12 hours, wife and I for 2 days.

I have never had so many constant sicknesses until we put her in daycare.

Top Bottom