Why are "adults" so stupid and unaware??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    I know that's a very vague question. Allow me to lay the ground work, I'm sitting here in my work truck at a gas station on a early lunch break since I started early for a seminar. I went into the station to use the restroom, walking out I noticed a vehicle parked near me that had a 2ish year old in the back seat strapped in all alone, doors unlocked and engine running. I decided to take it upon myself to watch the child from any wrong doers. Ten minutes later out comes mommy and I'm close enough to hear the child fussing as she opens the door to get in the car. I hear her say something along the lines of "what's a matter?" To the child.

Oh I don't know maybe the kids pissed you left him in the big scary world alone and he's already coming to realize how stupid and unaware of a person and parent you are.

I have a five year old and many times in the past five years I've thought how quick and easy it'd be to just leave mister man in the back seat and run in to get whatever, then I realize how helpless and without defense my child is and I don't do something so stupid and unaware.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    To answer your question. Don't know.

I have 4 kids between 19 and 11. When they were little, never left the kid in the car in a public place out of sight once. Not once. Raising kids isn't rocket science but it does take a smidge of common sense.

Last edited:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I know that's a very vague question. Allow me to lay the ground work, I'm sitting here in my work truck at a gas station on a early lunch break since I started early for a seminar. I went into the station to use the restroom, walking out I noticed a vehicle parked near me that had a 2ish year old in the back seat strapped in all alone, doors unlocked and engine running. I decided to take it upon myself to watch the child from any wrong doers. Ten minutes later out comes mommy and I'm close enough to hear the child fussing as she opens the door to get the in the car. I hear her say something along the lines of "what's a matter?" To the child.

Oh I don't know maybe the kids pissed you left him in the big scary world alone and he's already coming to realize how stupid and unaware of a person and parent you are.

I have a five year old and many times in the past five years I've thought how quick and easy it'd be to just leave mister man in the back seat and run in to get whatever, then I realize how helpless and without defense my child is and I don't do something so stupid and unaware.

Call the cops...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Because people live in a land of rainbows and unicorns. I don't even like leaving my 6 year old in the car seat when I have to run back into the house to grab something before taking off in the morning. (Just not enough hands some days.) And that is my own driveway. Would never leave a child while going into a stop and rob.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm shocked by the people that leave their car running, stereo bumping, clearing drawing attention to the car that has no one in or around it. I am surprised more of those aren't stolen. I can't even imagine the thought process, or lack thereof, to leave a child in the car like that.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Could very well be right about the cigarettes assumption. She came out empty handed but wearing a coat so she likely pocketed them on the way out. The car windows had that lovely smokers tint to them. There was a group of people in the station that obviously knew each other and were conversing inside, might have been that too. It wasn't her first stop of the morning either. The child had a half of a frozen coke from speedway in his cup holder. I contemplated police intervention, but making a really stupid mistake doesn't make for a bad person or parent. I'm not without mistakes, and I figured at that point, she (in hindsight) would be gone by the time the police arrived.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Can always take a pic of kid in car and pic of plate with empty car. Then call it in.

wherr we end up in life is the summation of our decisions. This will not be recorded as a mistake since nothing negative occured, further normalizing the behavior

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What wrong with all of you? It's obvious she's a good parent, because (A) the car was running to keep it warm and (B) the doors were unlocked so that others could help the child if there was an emergency. She's a smart parent because she know it takes a village to raise a child.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yeah, txt a pic or two of the running car/plate/unattended child to 911 (don't know if you can?) At least report to 911 and take the pics to pass along to responding officer.

Stupid can be cured and this is the beginning of it. To give the foolish parent some credit, sometimes folks just need shook up a little.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I know that's a very vague question. Allow me to lay the ground work, I'm sitting here in my work truck at a gas station on a early lunch break since I started early for a seminar. I went into the station to use the restroom, walking out I noticed a vehicle parked near me that had a 2ish year old in the back seat strapped in all alone, doors unlocked and engine running. I decided to take it upon myself to watch the child from any wrong doers. Ten minutes later out comes mommy and I'm close enough to hear the child fussing as she opens the door to get in the car. I hear her say something along the lines of "what's a matter?" To the child.

quoted wrong post.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Top Bottom