• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So this October I'll turn 40, God willing. I have no idea what I expected to be doing at age 40, or what I wanted to have accomplished by 40. I don't want to have a midlife crisis as I think those are pathetic. It's not like I'm going to get divorced and get a new set of boobs, though I WOULD look good filling out my shirts a bit more.

i've noticed myself trying to slow down a bit more and live in the moment, rather than thinking about two moments from now. I've thought ahead to age 65 when many things I enjoy now probably won't be possible, and will I be content with what I CAN do? Will my relationship be OK with the changes that come from aging, kids moving out (fingers crossed) and retirement.

In the last two days I've probably deleted 20 posts here and on FB before finishing them. Usually just some snarky comment or joke that I realize no one cares about. I don't know why I'm more sensitive to that now, but it plays into my slowing down I think.

I decided I was going to try to average 10 pull ups a day for the entire year. I'm at 58 now but only have two days of effort in. I also decided I wanted to run a sub 8-min mile the year I turn 40. Been a long time since I could do that. Prior to this month I don't think I've done more than 150 pull ups my entire life.

As far as "crisis" style things, I'm just not interested. I'm content in my mini-van for now. Happy married. Great kids. Good job, good income. Good dog, good house. I don't feel anxiety for the things I may not get to experience, I feel it for my ability to be content with what I will be able to experience.

I know we have quite a few people here getting the senior discounted coffee at McDonald's... Do you old salts have any advice for us middle-Agers about to hit the big 4-0?

i'm looking at you here gunslinger :):

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    40 was nothing for me. I was doing everything I wanted to do at the time. Future was looking awesome. I could not imagine retiring. I was enjoying working. I had a wonderful wife, happy kids, house paid for. No loans. Health was ok, some blood pressure issues and some arthritis.

Then About 4 years later my real heart problems set in, then I had a serious work accident here at the house that change everything. Then and life seemed to hit a brick wall. I will be 55 in July. Then I lost my wife to cancer 6 years ago. So life is totally different now. I am still happy though, it took a while for sure, don't get me wrong. I do go threw bouts of sadness. But I was given a second chance. I am glad for it, i live for my kids and family.

You have the right ideal doc, live life and love like there is no tomorrow. I am happier since I have been doing that.

Happy Birthday doc, you will be fine!!!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's not the age, it's the miles. . And the broken bones.

That's no joke.

Doc, age is just a number even when it's a round one. I jokingly called my new Camaro my "midlife-crisis-mobile", but the truth is I've been playing with sports cars since I was in high school. This is my 4th Camaro, so, not really out of character for me to have one...just a chance to get back into it. I don't know there's any trick to it, and if there is I sure haven't figured it out yet. Enjoy the pleasant memories of the past, put aside and plan for the future, but remember all we really have is the present. None of us are promised tomorrow. Might as well enjoy it while we can.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll be 40 in a few months. I love life. 2 younger kids (8 & 6) good wife and job. I'm very thankful for what I have as I know it can all go away real quick. I never set any real goals to meet by the time I was 40 other than to be happy.

After a recent eating lifestyle change, I feel better than I did when I was 25. I don't feel as old as I am.

Lord willing, I've got another 40+ years to live life.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Doc, if you've been wanting a 'Vette since you were 15 by all means GET IT. That's not a mid life crisis that's fulfilling a dream. What ever your dreams are, if you can gain them without hurting others (much anyway) then do it. You busted your hump to get where you are and you were not put here to be a cave troll. Go enjoy life.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I anticipated turning 40 starting when I was young enough to do the math and figure out that I would have just turned 40 when the year 2000 got here (turned 40 December 15th 1999). By the time it got here, it was no big deal age-wise, but in early '99, I broke up with my girlfriend of 13 years and life changed considerably. I guess I got out and sowed some wild oats. Went to Australia in April of 2000 to meet a girl I knew from the internet, and flew her and her daughter up here in July of that year. It didn't work out, but I have no regrets. Australia is beautiful by the way. :)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Get more sleep Doc and don't worry about ****.
    You've got the bases covered so that worry is out of the way.
    There's not a single guarantee you'll see tomorrow so take the fears off the table.
    Eat right, get your rest, and be thankful for each and every day.
    My dad had a theory for a long and happy life...

Don't get no higher than pickin' corn, lower than diggin' taters, and you'll probably be fine.
    Don't cull no loose womens 'cuz it might be the best you never had, and you ain't gonna whup nuttin whut lays down to fight.
    He lived a long and fun life 'til his drinkin' killed him.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    40? ppshaw! 40 is easy, 50 is a bit tougher. I'm 52 on Saturday. Grandma said she never felt tired until she was 50, I made it to 49 and change. She lived to be 97, hopefully that's a good sign.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I do Hospice work and have been at many a bedside hearing the words, should have, could have and didn't. Rarely hear about a persons accomplishments from them while in Hospice care. "Live each day to it's fullest". "Live like today is your last day". Blah, blah, blah. These were nice quotes until the day I was told I have cancer. After cancer treatment these are more than just quotes for me. Do want you want but do it now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think the key at any age is to be thankful for what you have

Bingo. That I am still breathing is a blessing.

A few milestones.....21, drunken party of epic proportions. Epic. 30, scared to death it was the beginning of the end. Another epic evening. Awoke to a fairly functional body. Move on. no worries. 40, Meh....so what. I lived through 30. A few beers with friends and done. 50, that one will make you look around. Spouse had some of my friends come over and we looked back at our time here. This one starts reflection. 60.......who thought I would ever make it out this far....:cool: less beer. next one is 67. I am happy everything still works as well as it does. No beer.....:): just happy to be here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do Hospice work and have been at many a bedside hearing the words, should have, could have and didn't. Rarely hear about a persons accomplishments from them while in Hospice care. "Live each day to it's fullest". "Live like today is your last day". Blah, blah, blah. These were nice quotes until the day I was told I have cancer. After cancer treatment these are more than just quotes for me. Do want you want but do it now.

Bingo.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Enjoy,and leave the stress at the door.Life is short.40 seems like 2 years ago.I turned 55 and healthy.We bury my brother Saturday.Life happens too fast.(I still need to curb my snarkeyness).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom