How are the powers that be going to clean up Chicago?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The same way NYC has a drastically lower murder rate than Chicago - aggressively go after gangs.

Along those lines, I'm sure 2016's crime statistics in Chicago had NOTHING to do with Rahm and others verbally attacking and criticizing the Chicago Police Department numerous times to the point where the individual officer suffers a withdrawl of enthusiasm for doing their job.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I do not see any Democraticly controlled cities getting better......Maybe I am wrong.

Cut off their Federal funds and let the Dem's double down on their failed policies. Let them make an example of themselves.

Sanctuary Cities, belittling their own police departments, catch and release programs for criminals, snitches get stitches, bribes and corruption...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The same way NYC has a drastically lower murder rate than Chicago - aggressively go after gangs.

Along those lines, I'm sure 2016's crime statistics in Chicago had NOTHING to do with Rahm and others verbally attacking and criticizing the Chicago Police Department numerous times to the point where the individual officer suffers a withdrawl of enthusiasm for doing their job.
    ^^ Mostly this.

They'll need an army of motivated police officers, doing actual patrols.

And, to paraphrase another INGOer, the people will have to change the culture of CPD. Look, for as much respect as I have for LEOs, CPD's culture is part of the problem. They've had enough bad apples that one wonders what the fruit of the tree actually is. As an entity, they'll have to rebuild the trust of the community AND whoever the administration is. And that's basically done one officer, one beat (not beating) at a time.

It will not be easy, and it will not happen quickly.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ^^ Mostly this.

They'll need an army of motivated police officers, doing actual patrols.

And, to paraphrase another INGOer, the people will have to change the culture of CPD. Look, for as much respect as I have for LEOs, CPD's culture is part of the problem. They've had enough bad apples that one wonders what the fruit of the tree actually is. As an entity, they'll have to rebuild the trust of the community AND whoever the administration is. And that's basically done one officer, one beat (not beating) at a time.

It will not be easy, and it will not happen quickly.

CPD (meaning Chicago) is a VERY "Blue Line" department, and not in a good way. I was harassed on time, until they fund out I was "one of them," and then things turned out peachy.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    CPD (meaning Chicago) is a VERY "Blue Line" department, and not in a good way. I was harassed on time, until they fund out I was "one of them," and then things turned out peachy.

Yeah, I almost clarified C(hicago) but in the context of the thread, I didn't think there was much need. :D

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Political leaders, judges and lawyers that cannot be bought will always help any Police efforts.

That is something Chicago never has had. When richie boy daily was states attorney, he grandstanded buy arresting priests who had bingo night fund raisers and then sprung a criminal leader named "gator" bradley from the State pen to help him "unite the nations" (his words) for his mayoral election. He also hosted the "gangland summit" for the thugs to meet and negotiate their territorial borders. This kind of accommodation of the criminals to keep the democratic party vote numbers up has been long and deep in Chicago, and will not change easily.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    max sentences and no early releases. many crimes are from repeat offenders. take away their ability to repeat and crime rates drop significantly...
    -rvb

That is a good point. In the 1970's I did a paper for a Political Science class where I documented 100 consecutive days where 100 innocent people had been victimized in the City of Chicago. The perps were violent offenders who had been released early, for several reasons, not including appeals. For sure those 100 victims would be better off if the legal system was not corrupted. I am sure things have not improved since then.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That is a good point. In the 1970's I did a paper for a Political Science class where I documented 100 consecutive days where 100 innocent people had been victimized in the City of Chicago. The perps were violent offenders who had been released early, for several reasons, not including appeals. For sure those 100 victims would be better off if the legal system was not corrupted. I am sure things have not improved since then.

I thing the legal system is stretched to the limits rather than corrupted. When you have a city full of criminals, it's hard to keep up... and very expensive to do so.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I thing the legal system is stretched to the limits rather than corrupted. When you have a city full of criminals, it's hard to keep up... and very expensive to do so.

It's also expensive to keep re-trying the same people over and over. They keep letting people out... because they need room... to let the same people back in...

-rvb

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    There are lots of great points in this thread. And amazingly there is a lot of common thoughts amount us. I agree, the City will never change with the current leadership. Period! The citizens have to stop living the same way they have for how many decades? too many decades.

I understand the CPD has had their hands tied because Rohm's vision of unity. And I know there are some pretty shady cops too. Chicago is spiraling out of control.

I think the change will start at the voting booth.

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    The dems will continue to run Chicago and it will continue to go down the toilet with ever increasing taxes, crime, regulations and minority unemployment. Interesting how big corporations expand there.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Clean up Chicago?
    Why would they want to clean up Chicago? The Dems keep getting elected and they blame all their problems on Indiana. It doesn't matter how many of the little people get robbed or killed as long as Rahmbo and company stay in power.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So many problems...none of them unsolvable, but each one impacts entrenched interests.

At the heart of this is violent gangs. All big cities have violent gangs, so why do they not have the problems (to the same extent) that Chicago has?

1) A police department that protects its own to fault. Loyalty is a virtue, but not when who you are being loyal to is a bad actor.
    2) Ties in to 1. When the actions of the bad actors (a very small minority) come to light, protests and overreaction, the assumption that ALL police are the problem and resistance to and noncooperation with ALL police increases.
    3) Seeing what happens to the bad actor when the bad stuff comes to light, combined with the general mistrust of all police results in false accusations or bad-actorism when police are doing their best to do their job.
    4) Police are so afraid of be accused, that they stay in the car and active policing is reduced.
    5) Gangs know that to some extent, the police will only be reactive, so they are emboldened.
    6) More shootings, more killings.

How to fix this- interrupt this cycle at any and every point.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There may be ways to interrupt the cycle but, since promising to save the people from the high crime rates keeps the Dems in power and they don't have to ever actually reduce the crime rate because they can, with the media's help, blame it all on Indiana gun laws, hopelessness caused by the election of Donald Trump, and the Republicans, in general, WHY would they ever even try to interrupt the cycle.
    How to do it doesn't matter if you don't have a reason why.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom