• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Has (is) anyone ever been a nail biter? I was for several decades and in my early teens I was almost cured when my mother saw me and said "stop biting your nails" (she said it a lot). On that particular day my response was "or what?". I realized, as soon as the words left my mouth, what a tactical error that was. I guess I was just a nervous kid growing up. I was into my late 20's and while on an admiral's staff watched a commander across a room going to town on his and just thought how disgusting it looked. Quit right then and never did it again. Now, approaching my 70's, it is just a pain to clip and file them cause they are prone to split down the middle if I don't keep them short. If you were a biter, how did you stop? Not trying to shame anyone, just curious. I know, weird subject.
    :oldwise:

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    I've tried to quit but was never really successful. Mine is all pretty much due to anxiety. My Dr. told me it has probably helped me build a stronger immune system, so I got that going for me. My mother always threatened to put something like an anti-chew bitters on my fingers if I didn't stop.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I do because I can't stand overhang. Bite, clip whatever.
    If they are any length past the cuticle (exaggeration) I snag them when working and bend them backwards.
    I love it when that happens.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My grandma told me that if I kept biting my nails and swallowed them by accident they would end up in my appendix and I would have to have surgery. I was probably five when she told me this, but I believed her. After all, it was my grandma! She wouldn't lie to me.

I only bite them now if I break one and have no way to trim it off and it is getting caught on things. I always spit it out though...every tiny piece. :laugh:

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Buy the cheapest toilet paper you can find...

The problem will resolve itself.

True dat.

I'm a nail biter again. I quit for the better part of 10 years. Not so ironically, I worked in waste water. Im in clean water now...working in and around raw sewage will put an end to that habit.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I do because I can't stand overhang. Bite, clip whatever.
    If they are any length past the cuticle (exaggeration) I snag them when working and bend them backwards.
    I love it when that happens.

Same here. It really gets annoying. Although if my mini wire cutters are around I will use those instead.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I did when I was younger but my Dr told me that biting my fingernails was about the same thing as drinking toilet water.

That got me to thinking and I just stopped.

My three grandkids kids are doing it now. I just about have the oldest talked into a 30 day challenge.

I told him it takes 30 days to make or break a habit.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I did when I was a teen.
    I stopped using a miracle product prescribed by my doctor.
    A kind of transparent nail polish that tastes really bad ... after a few weeks you get over it and don't need the product. :yesway:

61lQN9aD6dL._SY679_.jpg

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I do, but to explain, my nails are really brittle. I don't know why and I have tried everything. Anyway, when I break or chip one, my OCD kicks in and I have to even it out.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I chewed my nails when young, but just focused on quitting and never went back. I did that with tobacco, too. I have very thin nails that tear easily, or I should say that I had fragile nails. I started taking biotin and after several weeks my nails are greatly improved. I no longer have the tearing problem. They are much thicker and stronger.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im a chewer. I found as long as I diligently keep them trimmed, I'm fine. And typicaly when I chew one and start fiddling with the rough edge it leaves behind, I typically catch myself and trim the rest. (I carry a leatherman w scissors so that helps)

Top Bottom