Anyone ever been to the Stables Steakhouse in Terre Haute?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I'm looking for a nice place to take my wife for our Anniversary. Our go to is fogo, but it's expensive and it seems to be where we always end up. I want to try something different. Anyone been to this place? Also open to other suggestions.

thanks
    Jason

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Ate there a few times back in the day. Place has been there for while, so it can't be incredibly horrible.

Though, I have found a few of my old haunts don't quite measure up like they used to...

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    been there a few times. Great steaks, great bar, and the bread pudding is worth the trip by itself ;)

but if you typically go to FOGO, dont expect this to be any cheaper.

I would have no problem going there for an anniversary type meal.

Someone else mentioned J Fords. I've been there twice, and both times I leave there saying that's probably one of the best steaks I've ever eaten, so it's also very good, but just as expensive as Stables. I wouldn't have an issue going there either. Though I've not been there since they moved, but I wouldn't think that would effect the food quality or service.

Either way you can't go wrong IMO.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I agree with clay. Stables is good but not much, if any, cheaper than Fogo. Personally I'd rather go to fogo. Might be because I'm from close to Stables. Plus at fogo the steak never runs out!

This year i ar I took my wife to the beef and boards dinner show thing on the north side of Indy. The food isn't comparable to the two restaurants mentioned but she really liked the evening.

Another Out of Indy restaurant would be The Beefhouse. It's on SR 63 out by Covington and is also very good. Many schools in our area sell their dinner rolls and strawberry jam as fundraisers.

In Indy I also like harry and izzys. Same steak as st Elmo's but less expensive. Also the eagles nest is cool but more expensive than any others mentioned. But spinning around the top of the city is pretty neat. It is where I took my wife the night we got engaged.

For what it's worth and you might already know this but you can save about $15 a plate at fogo if you go during lunch hours.

MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    I'd recommend Stables over Black Angus, especially if you want more privacy/isolated seating. They do keep the lights pretty low as well. Definitely call ahead and request a booth/stable or you could end up in the bar seating, which is not private or quiet. I also echo it is not a cheap visit. Hard to get out under $125 for two even keeping the drink count down. Mrs Above-Average prefers Stables for special occasions too.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It used to be very good, but I haven't been there since they shut down to repair all the termite damage!(MANY years ago)! They literally had swarms of them. I've talked to several friends who have been since, and they still say it's great. Not cheaper than FOGO by any stretch though.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    It's a little inconsistent, but generally good and sometimes VERY good. I prefer it to J. Ford's, by a mile. Like one poster said, call ahead, but I'd say to ask for the "mafia room" for a romantic dinner. It's all by itself, very private. They have a brie appetizer that's really good (or did last time I was there -- I moved out of the area about a year ago...) It's a good place for a romantic dinner.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    And before the brie jokes start, let's just clarify for those who don't know me in real life -- with maybe a handful of exceptions, I can and will make you squeal like a piglet. I LIKE BRIE. GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?!

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    I haven't been there recently, but was just talking to someone about how I really need to get back there soon. As said in several of the posts, it rarely disappoints.
    Clay mentioned the bread pudding, but I'm more of a crème brûlée girl and theirs is really quite wonderful.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's a little inconsistent, but generally good and sometimes VERY good. I prefer it to J. Ford's, by a mile. Like one poster said, call ahead, but I'd say to ask for the "mafia room" for a romantic dinner. It's all by itself, very private. They have a brie appetizer that's really good (or did last time I was there -- I moved out of the area about a year ago...) It's a good place for a romantic dinner.

maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom