• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    After getting a few pro Obama posts on facebook from relatives on wife's side I posted that I'd like to keep politics out of the discussion as there is no good to come of it. Several of my wife's relatives are liberals and I have no desire to influence them. It would be like urinating in the wind. A couple days later (today) wife's cousin posts a video of Obama tearing up as he honors Michelle and the crowd applauds. I really don't want this crap on my facebook but if I defriend the cousin I will cause a lot of family problems. My wife is a strong conservative but is more tolerant of liberals than I am.

Should I just roll with this crap? I know the cousin is doing this to bust my B&%^s.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Why should you be subjected to having to suffer watching that crap. Especially if you feel the cousin is primarily posting that stuff to irritate you ! I'm not suggesting you seek retribution but I certainly wouldn't suffer being subjected to rhetoric that caused my blood pressure to go up.

There's a saying something about "Lay down and wallow with pigs and you'll just get dirty."

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    First, I'm guessing you aren't in high school. Delete people from your fb if you don't want to see their stuff. Fb doesn't rule the world. If they get crazy pissed because of it, tell them that's exactly why you deleted them. They are a child.

Second. Just go to their page and unfollow them or something like that. You can remain friends but you won't see their stuff in your feed.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    You can simply "unfollow" the person without actually having to "unfriend" them. I have done this to several people who I don't want to hurt but also don't want to see their crap on FB.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    After getting a few pro Obama posts on facebook from relatives on wife's side I posted that I'd like to keep politics out of the discussion as there is no good to come of it. Several of my wife's relatives are liberals and I have no desire to influence them. It would be like urinating in the wind. A couple days later (today) wife's cousin posts a video of Obama tearing up as he honors Michelle and the crowd applauds. I really don't want this crap on my facebook but if I defriend the cousin I will cause a lot of family problems. My wife is a strong conservative but is more tolerant of liberals than I am.

Should I just roll with this crap? I know the cousin is doing this to bust my B&%^s.

Just my opinion.. I would defriend, no need to have to put up with BS. Life is too short.
    You stated you wanted to keep politics out of the discussion. The cousin did not abide by your wishes and you are upset. If you defriend the cousin somebody else will be upset.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You can simply "unfollow" the person without actually having to "unfriend" them. I have done this to several people who I don't want to hurt but also don't want to see their crap on FB.

I was going to post almost this exact post.

Go to their page and you'll see some selections like Friend/Un-Friend, Follow/Un-Follow. Click Un-Follow and they'll still show as your friends but you won't see their posts any more. And, I think, they won't see yours.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I was going to post almost this exact post.

Go to their page and you'll see some selections like Friend/Un-Friend, Follow/Un-Follow. Click Un-Follow and they'll still show as your friends but you won't see their posts any more. And, I think, they won't see yours.

i think you can even do it from their post, don't even have to go to their wall, at least in the iOS app. To the right of their name is a pull down arrow, you can click unfollow. Or if they are always sharing stuff from a certain group, you can still follow your friend, but block stuff from that other group

-rvb

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    i think you can even do it from their post, don't even have to go to their wall, at least in the iOS app. To the right of their name is a pull down arrow, you can click unfollow. Or if they are always sharing stuff from a certain group, you can still follow your friend, but block stuff from that other group

-rvb

Good points. I'd forgotten about those.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Everyone around me thinks I'm nuts for not having a Facebook page im 33 but this is exactly why. I barely have time in my life to deal with people I see face to face I can't imagine worrying about people's feelings across the internet. Good luck to you.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I just deactivated my account on Facebook for the new year. I'll miss playing Farkel but all the drama,Not so much.

This. I did it about 4 years ago and it was the best thing I have ever done. Now if someone wants to talk to me they actually have to call me or text. Try it for a while. You can always re-activate it if you want. Without Facebook on all day, you can actually get things done around the house.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Never had Facebook. If someone wants to get a hold of me, they can call. If they don't have my number, there's probably a good reason for it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    FB is what you make of it. I like somewhat staying up with people that I wish I saw more often, eg old friends, cousins, etc. good way to communicate with groups of people, church groups, shooters, etc. I'm only friends with people I've at least met in real life. There's only "FB drama" if you let stuff get to you or get involved in it. I did stay away for a couple weeks around the election, the constant political nonsense was tiresome. It only consumes all your time if you let it. I spend about 30 min / day on it. Don't access it til I sit down in the evening after dinner, Scroll through, then off to something else...

-rvb

Top Bottom